Home Page

[Update 11/23/16) Insulin Production Information

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
[Update 11/23/16) Insulin Production Information
« on: November 16, 2016, 06:10:57 AM »
For those of you who are diabetic, or know someone who is, this thread from another website, contains links to a wealth of information about producing Insulin for human use.  The thread is quite long, but may help someone.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=33479

I HIGHLY recommend doing the research and pulling copies of each of the linked pages in the thread.    Some of them are currently down, but I'm bookmarking those which appear to be a work in progress.  One site: discoveryofinsulin.com may return soon...

The pessimist in me says that the information about this process may have been deliberately removed... Take that for what it is worth.

It could be literally the difference between life and death.

Yes, I am well aware of the various "types" of diabetes and that some "types" are less severe and respond to non-insulin treatments.  If you have the less severe "type" then you should already know about how to control your diet and exercise regimen... ;D

[EDIT] link for PDF:  "On the preparation of Insulin"

http://www.jbc.org/content/60/1/31.full.pdf

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:00:48 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Re: Insulin Production Information
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 10:54:57 AM »
I've been following that post for a number of years.

My wife is a type 1 diabetic.  For a type 1 no insulin = fairly quickly dead.

A reply by Navigator (about halfway down page 1 of 6) pretty much spells out why most folks will not be able to do such in a PAW.

Basically:
1.  If you have the lab equipment, knowledge, lab skills, animals needed, and the manpower hours to devote - then probably yes.
2.  If not - then no.

I was a Chem major before crossing over to the dark side and becoming a computer Nerd.  I have the knowledge and can re-establish the skills fairly quickly.  I have not been able to find (on a working man's salary) some of the not easy to bubba engineer a substitute for equipment at a price I can afford.

SO we're looking at getting and storing extra.   AND hoping for a medium to short term SHTF.

Short term SHTF - 1 day to several weeks - Normal comes back fairly quickly
Med term SHTF - several weeks to several months - Normal comes back not as quickly
Long term SHTF - several months to several years - Normal will come back but not anywhere near soon
TEOTWAKI - Normal may never come back and if it does it may be a different than before Normal.

OK - now that I've pored salt into your wounds,  I have included a word doc cleanup of the .pdf from above AND an addendum at the end that describes a "If you know what you're doing" functional description/summary of the .pdf.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:55:53 PM »
WolfBrother, thank you for the file editing.  I saw your name in that thread too.  We have a similar background, Chem. major who then went on to software and electronic hardware design.

Re the extraction process for Insulin, while it is not the simplest of procedures, it is well within the ability of someone with bio lab OR chem. lab experience.  I feel confident that I could do this, given the equipment and necessary chemicals.

Therein lies the "rub"; some of the equipment is not cheap, nor easy to make in the home shop.  If one has the need to get this equipment, then now is the time to start.

The chemicals used for the process are an even bigger problem, as they require another whole set of processes and the precursor chemicals for synthesis, where again, special equipment would make this much easier.

Given that one can stockpile a lot of the needed chemicals, before a SHTF event, it is still possible to do this.  The precursor chemicals have an essentially unlimited lifetime, if properly stored, unlike Insulin itself, which degrades over time.

If a community of preppers were to recognize the need for this skill set and plan on doing the Insulin extraction on a larger enough scale, it is certainly possible.

WHY:
1) To keep people alive who would otherwise die fairly soon (within 2-3 years after a collapse).
2)  To produce a highly valuable commodity which could make possible trade with other groups.

HOW:
1)  Starting now, creating a store of equipment and chemicals needed for the extraction.
2)  Locate those University and private labs which already have the equipment (and personnel) needed.
3)  Establish contacts, now, with people who already have the needed skills, with the intent of making them part of your prepper group.
4)  Plan on a source for animal pancreas stock.  Remember that many animals can be a source and these same animals are a possible food source for your community.

Finally, I want to address the nay-sayers (some of whom posted comments to the linked articles and discussion);

YES, it is a difficult and likely dangerous process.  YES, it is possible to make something which, if it doesn't outright kill someone, it can make them very ill.

SO, what do you do?  Wait until you or your friends start dieing from lack of Insulin... OR  try to make Insulin to keep you or they alive.

I know how I will act in this situation.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:57:13 PM »
I am old. 

While a Chem major my advisor made me take a computer course.  I told him I was a chem type give me chem.  I was just finishing a jr level 5 hr organic course.  I was spending 5 hr a day 5 day a week on class and study.  I took a 5 hr programming course.  I'm going "GEEEE this is EASY" and was spending about 4 1/2 hrs a week on it.  A salary survey came out.  They were paying beginning chemists about 17K/yr.  Beginning programmers about 26K a year.   Light came on, I crossed over to the dark side.

By the beginning amounts you can tell, I am old.

PAW insulin production
 If you have the lab equipment, knowledge, lab skills, animals needed, and the manpower hours to devote - then go for it for all the reasons you said.

My wife somewhat agrees with prepping.  I proposed the lab to her and she just laughed saying "We'll never need it"  There is no way I could get the equipment and chemicals past her.   So, I'm doing what I can to stockpile and hoping for short term stuff.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 08:58:59 PM »
I too am "over the hill" as the saying goes.  I went the teaching route for a decade after graduating, then discovered computers (Apple II's !!) and left teaching with no regrets...

Re Insulin purchase (while it is available). This link is more or less current on which states require prescriptions to buy.

http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/state-law/state-prescription-laws.html

NOTE:  This is for the "older" insulin, not the new Insulin "homologs".   Check carefully and ask your pharmacy.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »
I'm hampered by the need to NOT give medical advice, so let me just point at a thread which has some anecdotal evidence of what other people are doing. 

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=625729

All of the standard qualifiers apply here:  Your Mileage May Vary, I Am Not A Doctor, Talk to Your Doctor and Do Your Own Research.

All that being said, I note the following:

The lifetimes of some Insulin "varieties" are measured in YEARS, not just months (read the linked thread).

Ask your doctor about which will work for you and be VERY specific about needing the longest lifetimes possible.

Ask about getting enough to build a stockpile, more is better (one is none, two is one, three might be ok... but more is life.)

Refrigeration (not freezing) can be achieved WITHOUT ELECTRICITY.  You just need cold temperatures, not very cold.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions