Home Page

Hydroponics "grow tower" plans

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Hydroponics "grow tower" plans
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »
Most of you are familiar with the "Instructables" website.  This set of very detailed instruction will build a self-contained hydroponic growing system that would support about 160 plants in a roughly 10-15 square foot 'footprint'.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Vertical-Hydroponic-Farm/?ALLSTEPS

I have linked to a single page presentation, which you could save to your hard drive as an addition to your prep digital documents.  The pictures make assembly much easier.

The design, as presented, used a computer controlled monitoring system, and I think (opinion) this is not strictly necessary.  I think a simpler electric timer would produce almost the same result, at a far cheaper price.

Worst case, this system could be easily adjusted to make manual watering a (reletively) simple task.  Think SHTF, no power or only solar assistance.

The system uses PVC pipe, making it available just about everywhere. 

In the comments, there is another design for a similar system, with pictures.  The addition of grow-lights is an option, assuming you can afford, or even have, electric power to run them.

The primary benefit that I see is the better use of limited floor space for gardening and the ability to use homemade nutrient solutions.  Recipes for these are available online through a web search.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Hydroponics "grow tower" plans
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »
I am a firm believer in vertical growing systems, especially hydroponics and aquaponics versions. You use the volume of the space, not just the square footage.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)