Home Page

Good list of seeds to stockpile

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Good list of seeds to stockpile
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »
Scroll down for the list.  The whole set would weight less than two pounds and fit in a coffee can.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/survival-gardening-2/essential-seeds-to-stockpile-if-society-collapses/

Rotate your seed stores at least once every two years, more frequently if you are able to plant a
garden with last years stored seeds.

If SHTF, you have at least two years of seed life, assuming they are properly stored.  You can expect
some germination failure on older seeds, but that is why you store enough to make up for this loss.

Even if you don't want to eat some of these plant types, they still represent trade goods with other
people.  When I went through this list, some stood out as not being something which I would eat
raw, but pickling makes all things better...  And if you're hungry, any food is welcome.
[edit - spelling]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:56:01 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Good list of seeds to stockpile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 05:40:36 AM »
Thanks TWP

Definitely a starter list. There are quite a few more I would add. And while I agree that some barter might be done with some of the others, I think I would leave those to someone else to store and concentrate on those that I like, plus those that are critical for specific needs.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Good list of seeds to stockpile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:24:47 AM »
Thanks Jerry,  You're correct.  I've also posted a chart of "companion" plants which will help in choosing
which seeds to stockpile.

http://nnpg.net/NNPG_Forum/index.php?topic=123.0
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.