Home Page

Bug In Earthquake Drill

Offline Rob McKevitt

• Unofficial Organizer of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group
Bug In Earthquake Drill
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:06:43 PM »
It's July with a hot summer weekend with lot's to do and a perfect time to get it done until the earthquake hits, and it's a big one. At 8:42 AM on July 11th, Northern Nevada is shook by a massive 7.5 earthquake lasting almost a full minute and you are caught in it. Damage is widespread and utilities are interrupted. Travel is restricted due to road and bridge damage. It's time to activate your plan and get your kit. We are going to begin our Earthquake Drill with a simulated event giving us a chance to practice our plans, test our kits and hone our skills. At a weekend of your choosing if you are unable to commit to this weekend, we will start our drill. Begin by activating your family meet up plan to ensure everyone knows where to go. Physically turn off the water to your property or at each sink and toilet. Turn off the main power breaker to your home or apartment. Simulate turning off the gas to your home although please don't actually do this; otherwise you will need the gas company to come out and turn it back on along with your pilot lights. Your refrigerator if left closed will normally last a 24-hour period. Most Preppers keep bottled water in the freezer to move to the refrigerator to extend this time period. Having a thermometer in both the refrigerator and freezer is a cheap but effective way to ensure the safety of your food by knowing when to throw it out. Plan on not being able to flush your toilets unless you have stored extra water to do so. Your hot water heater is a great source of additional water. If you haven't drained a hot water heater, please learn to do so for this drill. It's simple and helps extend the life of your unit. Do not use a bar-be-que or white gas camp stove inside your home due to carbon dioxide poisoning. This is VERY dangerous and should never be done. You can use these to cook your meals but only outside. For those that feel confident in their plans and preparations and want to enhance their training, I would encourage you to begin sooner and extend you drill for 48 hours. It is meant to be inconvenient and to put you through different situations so sometimes it may take longer than 24 hours to see an issue manifest. Start Friday instead of Saturday and restore the power and water on Sunday evening or even for the most adventurous, Monday. If there was an actual earthquake, most of us still have to attempt to go to work and what better way to really test out your plans than when you have to work on a schedule and get to work on time. If you are up to the task, add an additional element to your drill like traveling by foot or bike somewhere, helping a neighbor in some way as though you would in a real event or communicating to others in the group your drill in real time. Maybe you might invite over friends or family to share in your drill as though they weren't able to stay at their own homes. What would a real event look like for you and add that element.Please post your experiences and lessons learned on our forum. What went well? What didn't work like you expected? What big take away lesson did you learn? Did you add a twist, extra tasks or manage in an additional element to your drill?  So, make a plan, get a kit and get ready to rumble.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline David-Audrey

• ...Because change is inevitable!
Re: Bug In Earthquake Drill
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
The Drill
Friday, August 29
17:30
Earthquake occurs

18:00
Grandson, His wife and three dogs arrived
Note:  Our Daughter could not participate due to proximity of fires to Sutcliff (Today started off with voluntary evacuation and ended with mandatory)

18:10
Second Grandson Arrives

18:15 – 19:05
Discussion, Orientation and Assignments and:
   -   Simulated turning off Gas
   -   Turned off Water
   -   Turned off Electrical
Opened Fridge for 1st time.  Moved several frozen water bottles from freezer to fridge
Took out food to prepare and some drinks and non-frozen water bottles to drink & inserted thermometer

19:05
Kids given tarp and they fashion a shelter for dogs in back yard with food & water (All water from water storage).

19:10
Power Kit broken out and prepared for use
   -   Batteries (4 for this drill) Deep Draw 230 AH 6 volts
   -   Batteries placed on metal cart
   -   Cables
   -   Opened and inspected but did not deploy/setup Power Boards (with Charge Controller, Power Inverter and Heat Sink)
Wired batteries
   -   2 6-Volts to become one 12-volt (twice)
   -   Wired the new 12-volts together as one large 12-volt battery
Took a 2’ x 2.5’ award and mounted a smaller power inverter on it as well as a means to attach it to the handle of the cart with the batteries on it.   Then attached the inverter to the batteries.
Wheeled cart into house
Ran extension cords to Ox machine and 2 C-PAP machines
Checked system to ensure it could handle all three machines
Kids set up cots (they decided to sleep outside – It WAS hot in the house).

19:55
Set up hospital toilet for drill use
Placed flashlights and lanterns strategically
Gave head-flashlights to everyone
Showed kids fire extinguisher location and use
Used handheld Ham Radio (to see if two members of the group near the wild fires were on…They did not respond, but I did reached another member of the group who reported on fires and their progress) – I think this simulates trying to communicate during an event, such as the earthquake we were simulating
Bug spray utilized by some

20:10
2nd Fridge opening – Food, water and candy taken out
Cooked on grill
Dinner
Discussion of what if’s…what if we couldn’t get into the garage; what if there was a fire; what if everyone couldn’t get to us, etc.
Games (backgammon and cards)

21:45 to23:30
Checked on power system once machines on for 30 minutes
Issued toothpaste, tooth brushes, soap and water to all
Bedtime

Saturday, August 31

08:00
Everyone up
Broke out Power Boards & solar panels
   -   Setup Solar Panels
   -   Setup large Power board (see above)
   -   Rolled cart with batteries to back yard & attached to power board
   -   Began and checked charging – All was as it should be
   -   “Cool-Scarves” issued to all

08:30

3rd Fridge opening – took food and drinks out, but forgot milk & took food out for lunch
Breakfast
   -   My wife ate Grape-Nuts & raisons with Lemon Zinger tea
   -   I had left over pizza
   -   Kids had snack bars from pantry

Misc.:
-   Backup cell-phone chargers used by most to charge phones
-   Joined Ranchers Net and got some information about wild-fires
-   Dishes washed with small (Pink hospital) tubs and stored
-   Friday and Sat – monitored emergency crank/flashlight/cell charger/radio re: fire and other news

09:30 to 12:00
Checked and moved solar panels
Checked charging system – Working well

16:30
Broke down and stored:
   -   Power Board
   -   Solar Panels
   -   Toilet
   -   Inverter board
   -   Tarp
   -   Flashlights & Lanterns
   -   Extension cords
   -   Misc.

17:05
Drill Concluded
Kids & Dogs Left

LESSONS LEARNED

1.   It can be hot in Nevada in late July!
  2.   For 5 adults and 4 dogs, we used 4 gallons of water plus 4 16-oz bottles of water, however, I’m sure that would go up if the drill lasted longer.
  3.   Need to (and did) use markers to mark batteries with notes so everyone else can wire 4, 6 or 8; 6-volt batteries into one 12-volt battery
  4.   Newly made Battery Cart (Inverter-board and cart with batteries) worked brilliantly but…
  5.   Need to place hooks on inverter board (will ruin the front of my Porsche Advertising Award, but the hooks will serve a need
  6.   It took longer to set up the Battery Cart than anticipated
  7.   Oxygen machine is REAL power hog…need additional batteries. I guess it will take 2-4 more heavy draw 6-volt batteries – Batteries dropped from 14.3 volts to 11.9 by morning. 
  8.   Backup cell phone chargers need to be checked more often…one was at only a 25% level of charge
  9.   Need to keep more water bottles in the fridge…helps with power consumption and will help keep fridge cooler and gives us cooler water for longer periods of time…and cooler water beats room-temperature water in late July
  10.   Solar panels – I need to build frame to hold both (click in-click out)…have materials, need to JUST DO IT!
  11.   Drove home need to test wind system (alone and with solar).  Need to know how long to setup and how well it works in light wind
  12.   Need to print out and keep list of radio station frequencies (AM, FM) in Reno
  13.   Handheld Ham worked well with and without setting up antenna
  14.   The temperature of the refrigerator stared at 360 and was at 43 degrees when drill ended
  15.   The heat was a factor that I’m sure would take a toll after a few days.  As long as you had something to do, all was well.  But when you sat down, it was a little harder to get up and get going.  Not a big deal, but it could impact performance for those not in good shape…and I’m not!  The night temperatures only got down to 70 degrees outside at 4 or 5 in the morning.  Going to sleep wasn’t as easy as normal.  Inside the house the temperature was still 84 degrees when most went to bed.
  16.   The drill wasn’t something I thought would be of significant value…I was wrong.  It was a good test that taught us and helped us work better as a unit. Next year I plan on 48 hours or more.

POSTSCRIPT:
Daughter arrived with her two dogs and what she could put in the car at our house at 23:00.  She believes there is a 60% chance her home will burn down tonight.  When they left, there were burning embers all over her neighborhood.  She is understandably upset.  Wish her luck!   (7/31 Update – Daughters Home is ok!  She is still here since there is no electricity yet in her neighborhood)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
I'd hit the "Love" button if there was one for that outline, David & Audrey. So I hit the "Like" button.
Glad to read your daughter's home is ok. Hope it remains that way.

We're here if they need something. Feel free to give them my phone number.

Ken
K7KBJ
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:04:37 PM by Ken K7KBJ »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline David-Audrey

• ...Because change is inevitable!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 09:08:24 PM »
Thanks Ken,

She and her dogs are with us...there is no water, electric or gas and its still dangerous up there.

David
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
Some excellent reports.

Here is mine:

I was not able to start on Friday, July 29 the way I intended. Helping out a friend took precedence. But I was able to begin the drill just before noon on Sunday, July 31, 2016. It was interesting to note that right after I shut things down, a light earthquake shook the apartment building for about one second or less. But it was a good incentive to play this drill for real.

So I checked over the apartment, looking for any damage. There was none.

Checked the rest of the building out, going outside to do a walk around the building. Should have moved my truck out of the garage, but decided to leave it where it was. In the future, I probably will move the truck. Had to use the elevator to go to and from my apartment and outside since the stairs in the apartment building are alarmed and not available for daily use. If it was a real disaster I would have used the stairs.

It was pretty basic after that. Simply sat back, hooked my computer to the 12v back up power system and did some writing. As the sun went down, the apartment had just started to warm up. I opened the balcony door and moved my recliner over next to it to get any breeze that there was from the courtyard. Was not much. I waited a bit too long before I started up the bucket swamp cooler so it took a while for it to get me cooled back down.

But after it got dark, I was fairly comfortable with the bucket swamp cooler blowing on me in the recliner. I read for a while then, using my tablet. Supper was a sandwich from some deli meat and cheese in the fridge. I took out one cold bottle of water and one frozen one and kept the fridge closed after that.

Definitely slept better during the night than I did during last year's drill. Sleeping in the recliner in front of the balcony was much more restful than sleeping in the bed in the bedroom last year. Did not even need the bucket swamp cooler all night.

Got up only a bit groggy this morning (Monday), and had my usual breakfast cereal. Things were still plenty cool in the fridge. Turned everything back on at 10:00am and went about my day.

A pretty benign drill. Would have preferred to have run a longer one, but I will do that later this year.

Confirmed that sleeping in the recliner is better than in the bed when I cannot run my BiPAP respiration machine. The bucket swamp cooler did work, but not quite as sell as I want it to. Need a stronger fan. And I will bump up my timetable on getting a countertop ice maker. if I can keep some ice in the water in the bucket that will help. It will also give me the means to have cooler drinks, which will go a long way to helping me take the heat in July.

That is about it. Nothing remarkable, but still a few lessons learned.

Just my opinion.

Do It Yourself   

13 Home Remedies That Actually Work

by Stacy Bravo Wednesday, July 13, 2016

intro oic 

I for one will always try to avoid going to the doctor whenever possible.  It’s always a relief when there are home remedies to help you feel better.

There some studies that say these homemade fixes are less invasive and a holistic approach to easing common ailments. These easy home remedies below have been the most successful that I’ve seen around the web.  Here’s my list of the best home remedies that might actually work for you and your family:
◾Stop nosebleeds the right way
◾Relieve stuffy noses and sinus pressure
◾Sleep well without acid reflux
◾Calm yourself during a bout of anxiety
◾Treat blisters holistically
◾Relieve carsickness the natural way
◾Get rid of a pesky UTI
◾Use cloves to heal cuts faster and dull the pain
◾Let the power of duct tape heal your wart
◾Soothe cold sores naturally
◾Treat common skin ailments with this surprising natural ingredient
◾Get rid of itchy eczema using olive oil
◾Treat sore throats with this tried-and-true home remedy

First, the most annoying of ailments — the nosebleed…

1. Stop a Nosebleed at Home

shutterstock_285338405

Stopping a nosebleed is simple.

◾Put half of a cotton ball on your upper gums right behind the small dent below your nose.
◾Press cotton ball firmly.

It is believed that putting pressure on your gums blocks an artery that supplies blood to the nose. If this doesn’t work, you can press between your eyes, where there is also an artery.

I’ve also read that cooling the area between your eyes with a cold ­fabric may help because it causes arteries to constrict.

2. Relieve a Stuffy Nose or Sinus Pressure

sinus pressure

According to Lisa DeStefano, D.O., an assistant professor at the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, to clear a stuffy nose or to relieve sinus pressure:
◾Push your tongue against the roof of your mouth
◾Then press a finger between your eyebrows.

These two simple acts cause the vomer bone to rock, which loosens your congestion and clears you up.

After around 20 seconds, you should start to feel relief as your sinuses begin to drain.

3. A Surprising Way to Prevent Acid Reflux

acid reflux

If you’ve eaten a big meal and you’re feeling full as you go to sleep, lay on your left side.

Why?

Laying on your left side keeps your stomach lower than your esophagus, which will help keep stomach acid from sliding up your throat.

Studies have shown that patients who sleep on their left sides are less likely to suffer from acid reflux. This is because the esophagus and stomach connect at an angle (see image above.) When you sleep on your right side, the stomach is higher than the esophagus, allowing food and stomach acid to slide up your throat.

4. Calm Your Anxiety with These Breathing Methods

(Image via)
(Image via)

Are you one of the 40 million adults in the US who suffer from anxiety?

If you are, there are a few methods you can use to relax.

Slow your heart rate by blowing on your thumb. According to some doctors, this idea has its roots in the fact that the thumb has its own pulse. If you calm that pulse down, you’re effectively calming the heart down too.

This method also helps because the act of blowing itself forces you to breathe deeply. Oxygen is naturally calming, and acts as an antidote to the adrenaline that raised your heart rate in the first place.

To breathe deeply, hyper-inflate your lungs to ensure maximum oxygen intake. Breathe in for seven seconds, hold for three seconds, and exhale for seven seconds. This method is called “triangle breathing.”

5. Listerine for Blisters

listerine

This classic breath freshener is a powerful antiseptic, but did you know it can also heal blisters?

According to Janet Maccaro, PhD, CNC, a holistic nutritionist and certified nutrition consultant, Listerine can dry out blisters and help them heal faster. Simply moisten a cotton ball with Listerine and dab it on your blister three times a day until the area dries out and no longer hurts.

6. Use Olives or Lemons to Relieve Motion Sickness

olives

Have you ever been seasick, or felt nauseated after a long, bumpy car ride? Then you’ve suffered from motion sickness.

Motion sickness occurs when your inner ear and eyes sense motion differently. For example, if you are looking out the window of a ship, your eyes may not see the movement, but your body senses it. This causes feelings of nausea.

One of the main symptoms of motion sickness is producing excess saliva, which can make you feel more nauseated. Compounds in olives, called tannins, dry out your mouth and can help soothe that queasy feeling. Pop a couple olives at the first hint of nausea, and you’ll be feeling like yourself again in no time. Sucking on a lemon can also do the trick.

7. Treat a UTI with Baking Soda

treat a UTI with baking soda

“Above Average” Joe has discussed the many uses of baking soda here. It’s wonderful stuff that can be used around the house for all sorts of things. But did you know it also has health benefits, including reducing the symptoms of a urinary tract infection?

Dr. Larrian Gillespie, MD, a retired assistant clinical professor of urology and urogynecology in Los Angeles, suggests drinking a solution made with 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda mixed with 8 oz. of water at the first signs of UTI symptoms.

Drink the solution once a day until you can visit your doctor for a culture and antibiotic prescription.

Why does it work? Baking soda makes the bladder environment more alkaline, which reduces bacteria’s ability to multiply.

8. Cloves for Cuts

clove

Cloves are known to have antiseptic, antifungal and pain-relieving properties. This is what makes them ideal as a holistic method for treating cuts.

To treat a cut with cloves, simply sprinkle powdered cloves on the cut. This will help prevent an infection from forming.

Additionally, clove oil is rich in eugenol, a chemical used as both an antiseptic and painkiller. Using clove oil will help the cut heal faster and make it much less painful.

9. Treat Warts at Home with Duct Tape

Is there anything duct tape can’t do?

According to a study published in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, the chemicals in duct tape suffocate and kill warts. This method works even better than freezing them off. In fact, the study showed that duct tape eliminated 85% of warts after two months — compared to only 60% using the freezing method!

To use duct tape safely:
◾Make sure the area is clean.
◾Cut a piece of duct tape to a size slightly bigger than the wart.
◾Apply the duct tape to the wart and rub it into place.
◾After three days, remove the duct tape.
◾File down the dead skin with a pumice stone or nail file.
◾Repeat until the wart disappears.

Want to learn more surprising uses for duct tape? Check out the video below.

10. Soothe Cold Sores with Lemon Balm

lemon balm

Cold sores can be so irritating, and often quite painful.

If you’re suffering from a cold sore. reach for lemon balm. This herbal treatment has antiviral properties that work to tame cold sore outbreaks.

To treat a cold sore with lemon balm tea:
◾Brew 2-4 tablespoons of lemon balm per cup of boiling water.
◾Let it cool.
◾Cover a cotton ball with the tea, then dot the cold sore with it.

Repeat this several times a day, and you’ll find your cold sore shrinking in no time!

11. Licorice for Corns and Calluses

licorice

Calluses and corns can be some of the most annoying ailments because they are so difficult to treat.

Surprisingly, a popular candy might be the secret to treating these common skin irritations at home.

According to Georgianna Donadio, PhD, director of the National Institute of Wholle Health, “Licorice contains estrogen-like substances that soften the hard skin of calluses and corns.”

To treat corns and calluses with licorice, simply:
◾Grind up a few licorice sticks.
◾Mix them with 1/2 teaspoon of petroleum jelly.
◾Rub the mixture into the rough areas of your feet.

12. A Great Eczema Treatment is Hiding Right in Your Pantry

olive oil

Eczema is a chronic skin condition affecting an estimated 35 million Americans. The constant itch can be hard to deal with and sends many people suffering from this condition straight to the dermatologist in search of relief. But don’t run to the doctor just yet — you might be able to treat eczema at home with something you probably have in your pantry.

Olive oil is packed with antioxidants that can reduce the inflammation associated with eczema. It is the base for many moisturizers, but may be even better used alone because it lacks the irritants that are often found in store-bought creams.

To treat eczema with olive oil, rub 1 teaspoon per square inch of skin (this creates a seal that prevents skin from drying out.)

For serious cases, cover oil-slathered skin with plastic wrap overnight to lock the moisture in.

13. Gargle Salt Water to Ease Sore Throats

salt water

Several studies have found that gargling several times a day with warm salt water can help relieve a sore throat.

Salt water reduces swelling in the throat and loosens mucus, helping to flush out irritants or bacteria.

Doctors generally recommend dissolving half a teaspoon of salt in one cup of water. If the salty taste is too unpleasant for you, try adding a small amount of honey to sweeten the mixture slightly.

Remember to spit the water out after gargling, rather than swallowing.

The above article is for informational purposes only. In the case of a medical emergency call 911. If you are pregnant or nursing, consult a doctor before starting any and all home remedies.

** Portions of the above information has been courtesy of lifehack.org and prevention.com.

Home remedies will save you time and money by helping you avoid doctor’s visits. You will also be healthier in the long run by treating ailments at home rather than relying on over-the-counter or prescription medications.

Do you have any home remedies of your own? Share them with us in the comments!

Sponsored by Revcontent

Trending Now

Men Don't Need Viagra if They Do This (Once Daily) - 'Kills’ ED

Dirty Little Trick Brings Any Battery Back to Life (Never Buy Batteries Again)

This Cabin Holds An Awesome Survival Secret

12x More Efficient Than Solar Panels? Scientists Screaming in Disbelief

Pain? Cannabis Extract, Now Legal in NV

Unbelievable. Simple Trick Melts Belly Fat Over Night (Try this Tonight)

3 Survival Lessons Lost To History (Watch Video)

True Christians Deserve To See This Before August, 2016

(1) Odd Diabetes Trick "Kills" Diabetes Industry (Do This Tonight)!

Quantcast

Comments

Suggested Videos

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
Some excellent reports.

Here is mine:

Thanks Jerry!
It was an enjoyable read.

Ken
K7KBJ
friendly
funny