Home Page

Possible lower cost basic structures

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Possible lower cost basic structures
« on: March 29, 2021, 05:13:30 PM »
I ran across something by accident while researching yet another subject pertaining to prepping. I have, for a long time, wanted some type of structure that could either be moved to a site intact, or build on site quickly, that was not overly expensive.

All of the previous options I had found were either more expensive than I could ever afford, or simply not suitable. Many of those that I might be able to swing financially were prebuilt units. Older motorhomes or travel trailers, or a couple of new possibilities. I do have two sets of Star Plates with which I can build two 14' diameter structures, either build when needed, or preferably, using pre-built panels than need only be fastened to the framework, which can go up in a matter of a couple of hours.

They would have to be finished out, equipped, and furnished. The prebuilt units are simply not set up in an efficient manner for best use by preppers. So, these new items I have found, which are essentially DIY home or shed kits, would allow me to set them up exactly as I want.

Below are the links to the sites where the kits are listed, and some sites for a few of the things I would want to incorporate.

Amazon.com : BZBCabins.com Lakeview Log Cabin Kit : Garden & Outdoor
Amazon.com: Insulated Tiny House Kit (ADU, Garden House, Guest House, Cabin): Home Improvement
Executive Office Cabin 212 Sq.Ft - Free Shipping – BZB Cabins (bzbcabinsandoutdoors.net)

Nature's Head Composting Toilets -- The Official Site
Amazon.com: Nature's Head Dry Composting Toilet with Standard Crank Handle: Home & Kitchen

Water Eater Wastewater Evaporators: Pricing & Comparison Chart (equipmentmanufacturing.com)

The KIMBERLY™ Wood Stove | Tiny Wood Stove - Big Heat (unforgettablefirellc.com)

Just a few of the links for products I would consider for a shelter, tiny home, alternative living quarters, etc.

I particularly like the insulated tiny house kit at 24'x16'. I think it a nearly ideal size, and with the simple sloped roof, it would be easy to work with and maintain. With some judicious waterproofing I believe it could be partially earth sheltered.

Still somewhat expensive compared to the other options, but they would require more work to get them ready. Though still good options I believe.

Here are the Starplates I have mentioned:
Starplate Building System - Raising Chicken and Birds Resources (strombergschickens.com)

They are still a good option for me, but I would like to have the option of another place where I could go if needed.

I believe that a small to moderate solar power system, with wind and diesel fuel generator system that I could run things for a very long time.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Re: Possible lower cost basic structures
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 12:11:08 AM »
Jerry,A 8' long sidewall side, 4' tall sidewall Hexayurt can be built with 12 sheets of plywood.
Provides flat side to opposite flat side a 13.856 foot open area with a 16 foot  corner to opposite corner open areaCenter height is sidewall height plus essentially a 4 foot center height.  on a 4 foot sidewall you'd have an 8 foot center height.  on a 4 foot high sidewall, 2 feet in from the wall, you have approx. a 6 foot height.
166.24 sq ft.  Put a wood burning stove on one side and run the flue out the top and you'd be snug in the winter.

info - http://hexayurt.com/https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/Hexayurt_construction

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 12:41:57 PM »
Great find, WolfBrother! Thank you.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline beorn

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 02:01:28 PM »
Hi Jerry you may be interested in something like the "hoop house" made out of hog wire panels. the one I have in this vid was made from junk and the panels were cut shorter than when new but even then it made a pretty handy strong shed. Real rough guestimate  300 dollars for a 8 foot by 16 foot quickly built structure that can stand up to the winds out here. and if you wanted to put in the extra work you could ferrocement the roof and partialy bury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuHheV0SBZY
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 10:24:34 AM »
That is a good idea. Thank you, beorn.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline pengyou

• Think outside of the box to avoid being put in one
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 03:45:02 AM »
Are you talking living for years? 1-2 years?  months?  What about a used school bus? https://monolithicdome.com/homes  These dome homes have a big balloon that you inflate, put rebar around and shoot with shotcrete.  A bit of work but the basic structure goes up quickly.  The dome can be built on the ground or on a wall, which can be underground.  Part of the dome can be underground - all of it as well - if you crunch the numbers.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:03:03 AM by pengyou »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »
These particular structures would be used on properties where I have been invited to go if need be. So, they must be either immediately portable or such that I can erect them fairly quickly and dismantle them if need be. Basically, I cannot put permanent structure on any of the three places that I have that I might need to head for if I cannot stay in town or get all the way to my brother's place.

I am on the watch for a suitable vehicle to convert into a mobile residence, but have not found anything within my price range so far.

I will say, I do like the monolithic domes, especially those that are strong enough to be earth-bermed and/or completely covered.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 10:03:14 PM »
How long term will the shelter be?   
How exposed to high winds like from a storm.
How quickly is quickly?
Can you preposition the unassembled structure?

At Burning Man a number of HexaYurts are built using 1” 4X8 insulating foam board, tape, and a small saw like a Sheetrock hole saw. 12 sheets gets you a 4 foot sidewall, roughly 12 foot wide (flat side) by 16 foot (corner to corner), 8 foot or so center peak shelter. 

12 4X8 sheets. 18 gives you 8 foot sidewalls and an approximately 12 foot center height. 

The kicker using plywood is how to fix the sheets together. I’ve been chewing on that one for a couple of years.

One that can be made to be “easily” put up and taken down utilizes T-nuts and 6 to 8 inch wide 1/16 to 3/32” thick steel plate bent into 60 degree pieces of angle iron. You’d need 18 of them for all angle connections and 6 flat pieces to put tie the roof pieces together.

Another uses 2x6s 60 degree angle cut lengthwise two pieces each with a 60 degree angle lengthwise. 2x4s to tie the roof pieces together.

But if you put the work in you’d have a decent knock up and down able 166 sq ft shelter. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 06:34:09 PM »
Additional thoughts

6 additional sheets with 60 degree cuts off the ends leave you a symmetrical  8 foot on one edge, 3 foot on the opposite edge 4 foot wide floor along the inside edge. The resulting hexagon in the center would be perfect for a campfire.  I believe that alone would keep it fairly warm in the winter. 

The center hexagon would be 6 feet from corner to opposite corner and just slightly over 5 feet from side to opposite side. You could build a good fire pit in the center. You could place a decent sized 4 Dog Tent stove in it also.

I’m thinking of doing a proof of concept build on one.  My plan is to frame out each sheet using the 60 degree angle split 2x6s as the frame.  Framing each sheet out with the idea of multiple assembly/disassembly times. I’m looking for a metal shop that can bend 8” wide 1/8 thick steel the needed 60 degree angle.  I’m planning on putting a 4 dog stove in the center. The hole in the top will be finalized when I get the stove and stovepipe.

The interior sides of the framed sections will be painted using a Bright White enamel.  The exterior will be a medium brown/khaki base with over flecks of gray and medium olive.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 07:36:29 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing that, WolfBrother.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline pengyou

• Think outside of the box to avoid being put in one
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 01:08:01 AM »
https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-bus_minibus-for-sale   I am not sure how much of a risk taker you are.  I have a couple of friends who have bought used, imported Japanese vehicles and been very satisfied with them, although they have only had them for about 3 years.  Granted they were special purpose - 4wd mini dump truck to drive locally (with ag plates), 4wd mini jeep to go into town and back but still capable of highway speeds.  The Toyota Coaster buses, however, are very durable.  They were used all over the place until they started building their own domestic mid sized bus (pieces of crap) and didn't want to pay the premium price for a Toy  The Coaster usually has a 4.2 I6 diesel - newer models are turbo, older models aren't.  These engines were put in many of the toy landcruisers that were sold in other parts of the world.  They won't give you screaming speed and power, but the engine puts out a good amount of torque.  Not 4wd - I have not found a steady source of 4wd buses in 10 years of looking, but with a lift kit, I think they would easily manage dirt roads, forest service roads, etc.  IIRC they also have 6.5' of headroom, or more, but that may vary by model.  If I were looking to convert a bus that might someday have to be used to BO in, I would look for this size bus with a rear engine (most had rear engines) The 4.2 engine weighs about the same as a Cummins 4bt, so it was not designed as a light duty piece of trash (remember the Olds diesel?)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 01:43:57 PM »
Thank you. I will look into these.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young