Home Page

The Shocking Reality of SHTF Medicine

Re: The Shocking Reality of SHTF Medicine
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 07:31:28 AM »
WB, pretty sure we will. You *are* going to live to be 110, aren't you? Hate to have you leave before we are ready.  :o   It's been 3 years since the 3rd edition, and 15 years since the 2nd. So I am not sure we are due yet. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

I am one of the worse offenders among the authors as I have not yet submitted any of my changes or new material. My aim this time is to add something on basic hospice care, ideally a chapter on respiratory issues, and update nursing and the references chapter. Maybe mental health as well. I have a brand new-to-me copy of a book here - Peripheral Nerve Blocks: A Color Atlas to review for possible inclusion in the References section. That one would be a very new subject area though blocks are discussed in other chapters. Part of the intent with the References chapter is to provide further guidance for the material the other authors have included, in this case an entire book detailing what others have made reference to.

I believe you have forum membership, and thus access to the open discussion. Feel free to jump up and wave your arms.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline owldancer

• Just a figment of the imagination!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 09:54:29 AM »
Would EMT and paramedic course/cert be of any real help?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
My opinion - Yes.
You might want to read this post also:  http://nnpg.net/NNPG_Forum/index.php?topic=1000.msg2542#msg2542
Reasonable Rascal is one of the movers/shakers with the first book listed
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 03:53:27 PM »
It would indeed. Mind you there isn't any surgical qualification included but a competent Para can perform a fair number of skills once reserved for the ER docs. Not bragging, just saying.

Being able to initiate and maintain IVs, perform a decent head-to-toe assessment, splint, intubate and more. The skills learned can translate across to other areas as far as forming foundation blocks to build on.

Wilderness EMT would be better than the typical EMT course, but it isn't common save in some parts of the country. The idea is extended management, not just wrap, tuck and run. It is not just about how to calculate a pulse, what constitutes a normal vs. abnormal breathing rate or quality, or to check a BP. You have to also understand the significance of the findings, and then be able to formulate a plan of action.

RR

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions