Home Page

Diesel fuel/fuel oil

Offline xoruss

Diesel fuel/fuel oil
« on: May 12, 2018, 03:05:11 PM »
  A couple bought the old home across the street mainly because of the huge new 3 bay garage that came with the home. The home had previously used fuel oil for heating. He said if he could add some tree branches to my burn pile, I could have fuel oil out of this huge tank that came with his home. When he checked the level it is 3/4 full and he switched the heat to propane. That got me to thinking, if PRI-D were added to the fuel oil, could a 5 gallon can of it be added to RUFUS (Cummins 6BT 12 valve) and would it cause problems? I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth if I can use it for more than burning brush and limbs.
Russ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pqtb

Re: Diesel fuel/fuel oil
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »
I used number 2 heating oil for years in the tractors and can be used in place of diesel but not legal to run on public roads as not tax has been paid.  Fuel oil has been died red to make it readily identifiable.   Do not get caught running heating oil in on road vehicles as the fine starts around 10,000 dollars.   In a SHTF I will be using heating oil for fuel for all diesel applications.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 06:43:38 PM »
What pqtp said. Way too big of a risk. If you get a diesel tractor for the place, then sure.

And if they even suspect you might have, they will test, and they can find the tiniest trace of that die, even if you have run the tank dry and refilled with pure diesel. It takes several cycles to get it out of all the nooks and crannies in a vehicle tank system.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline xoruss

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:01:16 AM »
   Of course I would never use fuel oil in RUFUS now, but it is nice to know there is a resource so close When TSHTF. My neighbor only has gasoline fueled vehicles. Hmmm... there is also an abandoned home nearby with an oil tank. I wonder if it is full or empty?
Russ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clay

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:31:52 AM »
There are several different types of fuel oil, I would make sure that it is what you think it is for sure before putting it in the truck.
The cetane number is pretty different on these guys so be careful.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_oil

Is it actually red?

The guy who did my job before me bunkered 50,000 gallons of bunker C fuel oil before he realized it wasn't red. We had a whole lot of fleetwide memos after that about what the differences are between bunker c and ULSD.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions