Home Page

Commercial water stll

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Commercial water stll
« on: July 14, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »
Disclaimer, I've not tried this product and I don't offer it for sale.

It caught my eye, so I browsed it see what was involved.

This is a relatively small device for distilling water.  It could be easily carried in a backpack, but needs two other larger pots to work.

http://survivalstill.com/

There are pictures on the site

Pricing is a little steep for what you get, about $290 for the basic unit.  It is stainless steel, so that accounts for some of the price points.  I also don't understand the two separate parts, priced separately, instead of one unit price.

It needs two other pots which you can provide, of appropriate size, one as the boiler and another as the condenser. Or buy their pots for more money.  Stainless again.

This might be appropriate in your prepper supplies, except for that price.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Commercial water stll
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 09:46:44 AM »
I like the concept, and am considering obtaining one. Though I would really like to see one designed to be used in a quality solar cooker.

Not sure what you meant about the two parts priced separately. Looks like you get air gap and the drip pan together for $279. Their pots are an additional $80. Was this what you meant?

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
I read it as selling the condenser unit separately from the drip pipe (which is an additional $10.95)
It didn't make sense to me, why sell that small pipe as a separate unit?  Unless it is designed to fail after usage?

The pots are nice, being stainless, but not strictly necessary as any pots of sufficient size will work.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Clay

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:52 PM »
I think it's cool, BUT I would prefer to home brew it myself. The only problem is the energy it needs to be used to make it work. Making fire under it might not be too efficient.

What would be the advantage of this over my Big Berkey for example?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »
Clay,
There are some compounds (soluable Arsenic compounds are one that comes to mind) that can pass through a filter like the Berkey, but cannot be evaporated and do not pass over with the vaporized water.

If you have the wood or charcoil to boil water, then the unit will work.  I would not consider using a propane/butane stove for this, unless I really needed water.

Ir could probably be driven by a solar concentrator, with a dish type mirror focused on the bottom of the boiler.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »
Okay TWP. I think the silicone tube that comes with the unit has to be replaced occasionally. The separate stainless steel one probably does not.

Clay, I think this unit would be something you kept on the wood stove all the time, making water, just like the tea kettle to humidify and have water ready for tea.

And TWP's idea of a solar powered one would be great, too.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)