Home Page

The American "Great Depression"

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
The American "Great Depression"
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:48:38 AM »
I grew up being told about the "Great Depression" 1931-1933, but have never experienced anything close to that event...

Read this short article and watch the attached video to get a better idea of what it was like. 

Perhaps you will get some ideas on prepping, before it happens (maybe?) here:

http://uplandgardener.blogspot.com/2016/12/hunger-starvation-civil-unrest-in.html
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: The American "Great Depression"
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »
If you don't think it will come again, you are a much more of an optimist that I am. Also, the country, monitary system and the seflsufficenct potential of the populas was much, much better then.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
So the question is:  What do we do to prep for this type of scenario?

I think we need an effort like that which removed us from the "Great Depression", but that happened, as you say, with a different mindset than we have now.

Our own group, and others like it across the country, may (MAY!) be working on rebuilding that frame of mind...

I don't see or hear of any plans to act, after a collapse.  What I see is mostly aimed at survival.

What is needed is a different kind of "activist" than what we currently find in the news.  It is NOT Politically Correct to discuss this direction of thought.   The media and government agency are perhaps (???) a little too worried about keeping control than in planning for a better future.    You didn't read that here and I didn't say it ;)

Frankly, I find it hard to trust someone who tries to tell me: "Lets take action now".   I grew up during the 60's protest period and there were plenty of wacko minds speaking at high volume.  Some of them are now elected officials :o .

I am reminded of a song: "Who Do You Trust", don't remember the artist, but it was from the 70's era...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »
I don't see or hear of any plans to act, after a collapse.  What I see is mostly aimed at survival.

The main plan would have to be self sufficiency at least at subsistence level until we can rise from the ashes. The big problem that will (likely, IMO) the cascading of other disasters on top of that.
The abandoning of the dollar- since we have an overwhelming debt especially in foreign hands.
Stopping of international trade- considering how little is made here anymore, devastating.
A run down, depleted military- manpower, basic supplies, weapons becoming 2nd rate if not obsolete.
War over assets looming- taking over of America's mines, power sources, farmland to satisfy our foreign debt (the extent of which will be determined for us).
Climate change- in to a cooler, dryer decade or three and world hunger. 
Pandemics- natural or manmade sweeping across a weakened populs.
and the list could go on.

America can rise again but it will a long hall, maybe generational. Our first task is to survive and help our children survive.

If it never gets that bad; so much the better!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline xoruss

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 06:18:11 AM »
  I grew up hearing the stories of the Great Depression also. My family always kept a good pantry but not as good as mine. I remember my Dad, born in 1916 telling about seeing his mother cry because she didn't know how she could feed the family that day. Dad had to quit school in the 8th grade to help support his family. My grandfather worked himself to death at age 53. Could it happen again? I think our system is more fragile than it was during the great depression. Whenever I think of taking a vacation, something I have never done as an adult, the money invariably is spent on preps.
Russ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 08:12:59 AM »
xoruss and 230gr,  so my question remains:  What do we do to prep for this type of scenario?

Much as I dislike "proselytizing", it appears to be one way of making people aware of the need (my opinion) for beginning to act to either be ready (prep) or start trying to change a broken system (again, my opinion).

I see two broad options:

1)  Work within the present "system" to change it, however you perceive that.

2)  Work with others who are NOT part of the present "system", perhaps to make a parallel process which does it differently (whatever "it" you want to change).

With respect to point 1, one option is to become active in local government by, for instance, running for office or volunteering in local organizations.  I have opinions on this which make it somewhat distasteful, in my mind.  Your opinion may differ.

RE point 2, I would use as a point-in-case, the use of physical gold and silver as money.

Another example would be the use of the e-currencies such as Bitcoin and Bitgold.   You may have noticed that governments all over the world are pushing to eliminate physical notes (cash).  So the use of the parallel money systems might be a way to effect a change in a broken money system (again, my opinion).

I would welcome any discussion of what other "parallel" options are being used to change or at least avoid something in the mainstream system(s).

All of the above DOES NOT preclude continuing to prep... Just in case it all becomes moot when a natural catastrophe occurs.

Thoughts?

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pqtb

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 09:34:37 AM »
When we have the next depression it will be worse since very few people are producing their own food.   If you want to make a change start with the schools and have kids learn how to garden and preserve food.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »
pqtb,

Can you suggest how to start that (teaching gardening and food preservation in schools)?

In this town, we have several "community gardens" which might be a good place to bring children for lessons.

I'm not optimistic about getting the public school system to include those skills in the lesson plan.   I do see a possible approach via the "back-to-nature" movement, if they could be approached with the idea.  I admit that this group of people are not in my range of acquaintances.

Perhaps a private school might be more approachable for this?

Or the Boy Scout/Girl Scout organizations?  I don't see them being very active in my town, but perhaps they still work in the background...

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pqtb

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »
TWP Several of the teachers in my daughters school have had the kids raise plants and take them home an care for them.  If you are in an area that has 4H or FFA that would be a good place to start.  I wish I had the answer to your question as I would use it at the local school.  I know the Maine Department of Ag, conservation and forestry has implemented organized trips for kids to visit ag events in local areas.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »
pqtb,

I did not think of 4H or FFA, which do have some presence here.  Those are good ideas for any area.

We have some local farming, even within the city boundary and a few local garden plots (private operators) which grow for the restaurant trade.

I think it is not likely that individual parents will undertake an effort to send their children for gardening education.

The public school system might (questionable) be convinced that it is a good idea.  My experience with the public school system is not positive.  I give you "Common Core" as an example.  I don't know any teachers in our loca system, but they might be the best approach, rather than going to the school boards.  Convince a few teachers that this is a better idea might be more fruitful... (pun intended).

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pqtb

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »
Good luck.  I live in an ag community and we have no ag education in the school system.   I am afraid the next generation will have very little connection with anything but electronics.   I notice as the price of food has risen the interest in gardens and preserving food for latter consumption has increased in local area.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 12:58:59 PM »
I hope it is not case of too little, too late with respect to learning how to grow food.

In fact that might be a way to sell it...

Don't Be Caught Without FOOD!

Learn To Grow Your OWN!

Got Dirt?

Use It Now!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 230gr

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 04:48:05 PM »
4H was the vehicle we used to have our children garden, raise small livestock, cooking and preserving foods, herbs, and making clothing. Which reinforced what we did at home.
Now their children are in 4F doing similar but with shooting and archery added. My wife was a teacher at a private, religious school (which our children attended) instilling them with conservative, Christian values.

It maybe be too late keep our society from stampeding over the cliff but maybe we can save some small part of it.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline xoruss

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 05:00:58 PM »
  I get great depression whenever I think of those who have been running our Republic.
Russ :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »
I believe that society (and its economy) goes in cycles.

We can (should) expect some changes from where we are now.

How much change is both the question and the problem.

I'm trying to suggest things which may reduce the trauma during these transitions between "bust" and "boom" phases of that social/economic cycle.

Our parents and grandparents had experience with this.  Whether we got the benefit of their knowledge depends on how much we talked to our parents/grandparents.

Our children are watching us now, learning how WE handle changes.

Some of us are better teachers than others...  Some of the lessons can only be taught by experience, which is what scares me.

Talk to your kids.  Talk to other peoples kids.  Don't get arrested for it.

Thus endeth the lesson for today.  Please be sure to close the door behind you. ::)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions