Home Page

Super-Volcano Awakening?

Offline David-Audrey

• ...Because change is inevitable!
Super-Volcano Awakening?
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:23:09 PM »
Hate when they start talking about Super-Volcano activity.

But they are!

According to National Geographic...One of Earth's Most Dangerous Supervolcanoes Is Rumbling.

Here is the article.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/supervolcano-campi-flegrei-stirs-under-naples-italy/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 230gr

Re: Super-Volcano Awakening?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »
Naples will be like Pompi on steroids! 

The caldera in Kamecka is getting active too.
Even one could cause years of short growing seasons and very cold winters.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline David-Audrey

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 03:02:39 PM »
Should we look for artifacts before they are buried?

If a Super-Volcano goes off, it it absolutely a world-wide disaster or is there degrees of bad we can hope for?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
There are definitely degrees. The history of Yellowstone Caldera shows that. There have been eruptions of several degrees of destruction. A couple were extremely large, with ashfalls reaching the Mississippi River (If I remember my research correctly. I did not look it up this time.). Others were much more localized. Huge, yes, but still not as widespread as some others.

So it could be anything from a Mt. St. Helen's equivalent to a Krakatoa one.

I have my fingers (and toes) crossed it will be a small one when it happens. For, just like the other long history volcanoes, it will eventually erupt again.

As for the artifacts, I already have a few collected. And have my eye on some more when the time comes.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline 230gr

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
You are right about that ash fall. I am not sure when that was but there were herds of social, hornless rhinos in Nebraska that were wiped out buy it. Wisconsin received a foot or so this far away.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 06:04:12 PM »
If a Super-Volcano goes off, it it absolutely a world-wide disaster or is there degrees of bad we can hope for?

"World wide" and "Super Volcano" are terms used by the media to spread fear and sell advertising.   Even the smallest eruptions have an effect, but it is, as Jerry says, a matter of degree.

I watched the St. Helens eruption from Tacoma, about 100+ miles away.   We did get a light scattering of ash, enough to see on leaves and the roof of cars, but not significant.   Months after St. Helens, I walked in the ash piles and watched the river being dredged to the west of the mountain.  Years later, the plant and wildlife have returned.  You have to know what to look for to see evidence of the eruption (yes, the mountain lost it's top...), some roads just don't go through anymore, a couple of communities are buried and dead trees stick up through ash beds.

The ash from events like Yellowstone does get carried around the world, and weather is effected, again a matter of degree.   You can look up maps which show where the ash from prior eruptions is found, which gives you a good idea of where to avoid.

How long will the weather be effected?  Anywhere from a few days to many months.  Again, do some research online to find reports on how larger eruptions effected world weather patterns. 

Eruptions are not events which give me any discomfort or fear.  My fear comes from how the people nearer the volcano and in the path of the wind carried ash, will react.  This is what I prep for.

With modern technology (mostly radio news), We are given adequate warning before an eruption.  Some of the time, it doesn't even happen...  But if your comfort level is telling to you move away from the immediate area, then by all means do go.  We are talking about days and weeks of warning, not hours or minutes.   You have time to pack and not panic.

Got your umbrella?

[edit] spelink
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:13:45 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »
Got your umbrella?

I don't know about umbrellas but, if you are going to use a vehicle, must have a lot of air filters. You will be going through them like popcorn. Same is true for particle filters for protecting your lungs. A lot can kill you fairly quickly but even a little can give you silicosis.     
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 10:58:35 AM »
You will also want a long reach, soft brush, and soft rags to clean the windshield if you are on the road and the ash begins to fall. Do not run the windshield wipers! You will have a scratched windshield in no time. Possibly scratched enough to make it nearly impossible to see through.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline 230gr

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 11:37:07 AM »
Good point Jerry!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline David-Audrey

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 06:10:13 PM »
Certainly hope we don't have to learn about Super-Volcanoes on a first hand basis.

I know that many cars/airplane/truck engines had to be replaced early due to ash fallout from Mt. St. Helen as far east as Chicago.  And I'm talking about 50,000 miles early.

One last question.  How long before lava turns into fertile growing material?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »
One last question.  How long before lava turns into fertile growing material?

Several human lifetimes...

Ash, on the other hand, can support seed growth after a year of good rains.  It's certainly not the best soil, but it can be used.  It has plenty of several nutrients and only needs some composting with organic materials.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 07:23:09 PM »
An interesting fact is that lava that flows into the ocean forming lava pillows formation flakes off in find "sand" when the super hot melted rock comes in contact with the cold water. As the lava flows over itself  forming miles of sheet lava flow rock, it is build over deep deposits of this lava "sand" which is not stable. Occasionally huge square mile section break off and slide into the sea causing unbelievable tsunamis. Big one forming now in Hawaii and aimed directly at LA.  One more reason not to live in California, IMO.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 11:49:24 AM »
As long as an area does not get several feet of ash fall, but just several inches, the ash can be moved and stockpiled. Then, after about a year, it can be incorporated into garden areas and commercial fields to greatly enhance the ground. Could also be used in grow beds and real-soil greenhouse gardens.

Also, depending on the actual chemical composition, it makes great concrete. Look up pozzolana and Roman Concrete.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline TWP

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
The ash which I saw being removed from the river, west of St. Helens, is being used for exactly the uses discussed here:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/st-helens-sand-turns-from-bane-to-boon-35-years-after-eruption/

I'd be looking for ash deposits in our immediate area.  Since we haven't had any volcanic activity near us in a LONG time, those deposits might need some grinding and power equipment to recover, but if you need better soil, that would be a source of minerals.

Off topic:  Wow, it's been 35 years?  I'm OLD!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 12:24:43 PM »
Further information on St. Helens, with some great pictures of the eruption and aftermath.

Worth looking at just to get a feeling of the scale of the eruption (it was NOT a "super volcano").

Reading the text in this link, you can get a measure of how far the ash traveled and how deep the deposits were at different distances.  This might help you in planning where to put your bug out location.

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2015/05/the-eruption-of-mount-st-helens-35-years-ago/393557/

SIDE NOTE:  the article states that an "earthquake" in the side of St. Helens started the eruption... Ok, but why do I think the real cause might be part of the eruption itself?  Who drew the line between the volcanic action and an "earthquake"? I guess you use the words which people know and fear?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions