Home Page

(upd 6/10/18) Online Privacy - Encryption - PGP for Preppers

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
This is a multi-part article and I will update this post as the other parts become available.

Part 1)  https://survivalblog.com/pgp-preppers-part-1-groundhog-gravy/

Part 2)  https://survivalblog.com/pgp-preppers-part-2-groundhog-gravy/

The author gives a good explanation of how PGP (Pretty Good Protection/Privacy) works and how to implement it in your communications.

I want to point out one problem with encryption; It is obvious when in use.  It will also point a arrow at you if you use it too much.  "This person has something to hide" is the message.

So, limit your use of encrypted, PUBLICLY VISIBLE, messages to critical and/or emergency situations.

You can, of course, more safely use encryption on messages which are only committed to paper copy, ie. they are NOT easily read by everybody on the 'net.  Delivery by Sneakernet https://infogalactic.com/info/Sneakernet or secure cache locations works better in this scenario.

My preference is to use codified plain text which does not announce that it contains a hidden message.  For example:

"The meeting had been changed to the alternate site".

This does not confer information about Who, Where, Why, or When.  It is assumed that the recipient knows what this phrase means, in a context which has been agreed upon before hand.  Properly, it should NOT mean anything about a meeting, a change or a location.  But the recipient will know, perhaps via a list of phrases and meanings, how to interpret that message.

Of course, if you need to send a larger volume of text, as in detailed instructions on where, when, how and who, then encryption makes more sense, but NOT if you send it via the Internet, email, cellphone or any other publicly visible medium.

You can find a wealth of information encryption and methods of codifying messages, ironically, on the Internet.  Just try not to leave too much of a digital trail pointing back at you when you look for this information... 8)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:17:48 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline TWP

Re: (upd 6/10/18) Online Privacy - Encryption - PGP for Preppers
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »
Part 2 has been linked in the OP, below.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline TWP

Re: (upd 6/10/18) Online Privacy - Encryption - PGP for Preppers
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
Let me point out that, for users of Linux, GNUpgp is the correct tool for this.  If you are a Windows(r) user, then you have a significant disadvantage but you can still download and install pgp for that Operating System.  "I don't do Windows(r)"...

Check your Linux repositories for the currently available version of GNUpgp.

Also, do read the reader comments on both parts of the linked article.

Using encryption will act as a flag on your online posts... It says, "This person has something they don't want everybody to know"...

So learn how to pass messages without the need for encryption, as I state in the first post of this thread...

Do you get my message?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions