Home Page

(upd 4/7/18)Article- Caring for Children on the Autism Spectrum During TEOTWAWKI

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
I've posted before about caring for others in a post-event world.  This topic is one that I had not thought about...  I think this is going to hit, hard, those who home care for both children and adults who are "sub-functional", for whatever reason.

Part 1)  https://survivalblog.com/caring-children-autism-spectrum-teotwawki-part-1-grey-woman/

Part 2)  https://survivalblog.com/caring-children-autism-spectrum-teotwawki-part-2-grey-woman/

This is a multi-part article and I will update this post as the other part(s) become available.

You are, of course, welcome to "blow off" and ignore this factor in your prepping, but remember that your actions and viewpoint will NOT be well accepted by those who are already care givers to the Autistic/Downs Syndrome...  Actions have consequences.

I do expect you to become aware of the large number of "diagnosed" autism cases.  Read the article for some claims on the numbers.

MY PERSONAL OPINION is that some, perhaps many, of these are NOT accurate.  Sadly, the medical profession has a history of diagnosing and prescribing based on the pharmaceutical industry guidelines.  Similarly, the psychologist profession has a similar history, which is (IMO) a result of the "higher" education indoctrination system.  I've been in that world, both as a student and an "educator".  My contact was through the sciences, Chemistry and Physics, which let me see the students who were the product of that system  AND work with the medical and psychology instructors...

I'll expect to receive some negative feedback from those who have gone through the system and (IMO) "drank the Koolaid".  I ask those who disagree with me to step back and put this in a prepper perspective.  You may disagree with my opinion, but what are your plans in a post-event world?

My personal experience with autistic people is very limited.  I have some experience with those who have Downs Syndrome and I expect that many people lump the two groups together.  Be aware of this bias and plan on how you will respond when it affects your family/group.

Question:  Do your plans include how you and your family/group expect to handle this particular problem?

I'll suggest some areas which will be problematic in a post-event world:

1)  Drugs will be scarce.  Do you have an alternative?

2)  Caregivers will need More support from the group.

3)  Those who plan ahead will be better able to handle changes, post-event.  That is not a simple truth, but rather a prepper mindset which needs to be cultivated, discussed and integrated into any group plans.

4)  Are your Autistic/Downs Syndrome people able to do any kind of work in support of the group?  I'm not talking about slave labor, but every able hand will be needed.  "Many hands make for light work".

5)  If you are currently a caregiver, do you allow / encourage your charges to be more self-reliant?  How, exactly, do you do this.  This could help others who are in your situation, so DO express your views here.

The lecture will continue as needed.  Ya'll hear me?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:10:20 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Article - Caring for Children on the Autism Spectrum During TEOTWAWKI
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »
This is a very difficult subject, in several ways. Many of those that have the problems, will survive, due to heroic efforts of their caregivers. That does not mean the caregivers will all survive. Especially if they are not, at least to a degree, preppers anyway.

And, since much of the caregivers' ability to provide the care is dependent on the area assistance programs. And they will likely go down, if it is a major event. Whey the caregivers lose their support structure, they are not going to be able to give the care that the person being cared for is used to. And my experience with these situations is that the routine is very important. And some of that is regular interaction with others, both with people with similar diagnosis, but with the general public. This is often necessary when there is only one or two caregivers at home, and they must be out and about when the other is working, and must bring their charge with them.

As long as things are under pretty tight control, and 'normal' for the patient, then things tend to be fine. When something interrupts that normalcy various things happen. Some will shut down, to the point of sitting, or even lying on the floor. Others actually go catatonic. Some begin to cry uncontrollably, and others to act confused, and sometimes become very defensive, and will strike out if startled or touched unexpectedly.

It is a very good idea to decide how you will prefer to handle the situation(s) when they occur. Try to help (After studying up on the subject. Really good study.) Totally avoid it and walk away. Or something in between. Since many of those with these kinds of problems have a great deal of difficult with simple life tasks. Some have great difficult going to the bathroom, and need various methods of help. Females often need major assistance with their menses. And some, without their meds, will quickly become very difficult to deal with in any way.

Most will not reach these extremes. Many are only still living due to medical interventions, and continuing care. When those stop, a large number of them will pass away. Hopefully as they sleep, as many have breathing problems anyway, for everyone's sake.

If you are a caregiver, I urge you to think about this, and make prepper type preparations for those in your care. Those of us that can deal with it are willing to help. Not all of us are. But it never hurts to ask.

Just my rather sad opinion on this difficult subject.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
A related article, more upbeat:

Guess What? We Grow Up

https://survivalblog.com/guess-grow-autistic-prepper/

Let me introduce myself. I’m an adult with autism, and I’m also a fervent SurvivalBlog reader and occasional contributor. I also like to watch water going down a drain, insist that my egg be on the right side of my plate, and relax by studying the structure of the knotholes in our paneled den. “Quirky” is putting it mildly.

Worth reading because it shows why a prepper/MAG/survivalist should give more consideration to including those within the "autism spectrum".  They are NOT hopeless, but may need more guidance than others.  It will also make one a better person for having done so.

[edit] do read the comments below the article.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 08:44:06 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline owldancer

• Just a figment of the imagination!
We have a young man in out Boy Scout Troop that is Autistic. 
It is a challenge at time for the other boys, yet at other time they go way out of their way with him.

So it is a good experience for them and myself as well.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions