Home Page

Article + Video - How to Make Reverse Twist Two-Ply Natural Cordage

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
You probably want to watch the video because the text description does not help much, even with the pictures.

https://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2017/12/16/how-to-make-reverse-twist-two-ply-natural-cordage/

This is a skill worth learning, and practicing.  Then practice some more.  This needs "muscle memory" to be done with minimal effort and you should expect some sore fingers and forearms until you build up strength.

Also, knowing which plant fibers work better than others is a learning process.  I learned this using stinging nettle stalks when I was just a "cub" scout.  It took a week to cut and soak the stalks and a couple of more days to dry and loosen the fibers in those stalks.

Because I don't do this much, I will need to re-teach my fingers and forearms... Ouch.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Article + Video - How to Make Reverse Twist Two-Ply Natural Cordage
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
I know it is doable, but I never mastered it, even back when I had at least some manual dexterity. Now, 3-strand braiding I got to where I could do it while talking or day dreaming. But for 4-strand I had to have the illustration right there where I was working to make sure I did not get it messed up.

And I have recently learned of a new rope production technique that I have not had a chance to try out. Hopefully I will by the time we do another camp out/exercise.

Just my opinion.

P.S.: My father taught me a technique when I was still in grade school called 'grapevining' that is used to attach a twisted rope to a tubular item where the rope cannot be tied to it. Such as a steel cable, some types of small tubes and hoses. Anyone else familiar with this technique?

Just wondering.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 08:09:50 PM »
We did a kind of braiding which used a 6 inch x 1/2 inch pipe, mounted on a board so it stood upright.  We laced about 6 or 8 strands around the pipe, pulling upward whenever the pipe got "full".  This made a hollow braid which was pulled to tighten the braid and lengthen the final rope.

I know there is a name for this.  It used to make lanyards.  Can't think of the name.

this can be done without the pipe too, just free air weaving to make the lanyard as tight as needed.  Anywhere from four or more strands are used.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:54 PM »
Now, I have not heard of that. Will have to research it. It does sound interesting. I wonder if you can make a Chinese finger trap like that?

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 04:44:17 AM »
Yes, we made those traps too.  I escaped... ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 05:52:25 AM »
Its easier to see it in person than on video. My wife is good and showing this off.

Joe
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions