Home Page

Article - Direction Without GPS – How To Instinctively Know

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - Direction Without GPS – How To Instinctively Know
« on: November 28, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »
I don't remember where I first learned this skill.  Perhaps I was too young to recognize its importance.

I became aware of it when I met people who got lost walking down unfamiliar streets or who could not drive without having a guide in the passenger seat...

What is this skill and can it be taught?  I believe this is a "yes", for most people, but it may be a hard-sell for those who have grown up with a GPS in their cellphone or who simply stopped looking around and trusted someone else to get them to their destination...

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-skills/direction-without-gps/

As group, some of us in the NNPG have practiced this at camp-outs.  It is also something which you can learn by practice.  It helps to have some one to teach you, but you can start by yourself.  First, turn off the cellphone...

I completely agree with the author of the article - maps are vital to learning this skill.  Even a compass, a good tool, does not make up for being able to visualize where your are, in your mind.  If you have a map to look at, then this becomes much easier.

DO LEARN THIS SKILL,  soon...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Re: Article - Direction Without GPS – How To Instinctively Know
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
You know, most of the I'm oriented to NSEW.

There are a few places I've been where I'm off 90 degrees.  As a Kid at my cousins in the country I was always 90 degrees off to the left.  To Me - south was actually east.  What felt NS was actually EW.

In Denver, CO - same thing only 90 degrees off to the right - the mountains to the West feel North to me.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.