Home Page

Article - Radiation Sickness

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - Radiation Sickness
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:15:30 AM »
The author, Dr. Joe Alton M.D. (AKA; Dr. Doom) is a recognized authority on medicine and particularly in medicine usage as a prepper.

The article gives some useful (IMO) information about radiation and radioactive fallout.  Some of you may not be familiar with the subject, so this is a good starting point for your training.  It is by no means an in-depth discussion, and I encourage you to do more research and add to your prepper medical library and prepper medical supplies.

https://www.doomandbloom.net/radiation-sickness/

This is a "Do Read" discussion.  There are points made which may not be found in your standard prepper medical library.

I am trying to NOT give medical advice here.  My intent is to point you at a source of qualified medical information.  You can lead a horse to water, but...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Article - Radiation Sickness
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 01:51:46 PM »
 Good article.

Following are just my opinion, as always, and are not medical advice in any way, but observations based on my research.

1. I-131, the primary radioactive isotope of iodine, is present in great quantities in gaseous releases from nuclear powered electrical generating plants. Using a thyroid iodine blocker in such a situation is extremely important.

2. While I-131 is produced by nuclear weapon detonations, there is not all that much of it. What does not condense onto particulate matter is spread out immediately, and dissipates relatively quickly, unlike the steady stream that can continue to pour from a power plant leak. Any that has bonded to particulate matter and comes down as fallout is not easily absorbed by the body unless ingested. Future uptake by some plants is possible. Since taking a thyroid blocker when not needed can have adverse effects on the thyroid, I, personally, do not consider thyroid blockers as part of my nuclear device preps.

3. The halving thicknesses given in the article are somewhat more conservative than those usually accepted, but not the most conservative I have found. Just be aware of the fact that there are some difference of opinions in the sheltering industry as to what will reduce fallout radiation by one half.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Article - Radiation Sickness
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
This is a second article from the author, Dr. Alton, which addresses the same issue, radiation exposure, as the link in my OP.

It gives a basic understanding of radiation, with emphasis on that which is sourced from a nuclear explosion.

https://www.doomandbloom.net/what-is-radiation-from-a-nuclear-blast/

A good point is made about the nature of "radiation" as opposed to radioactive atoms.  Both are a hazard however the methods to avoid (shield) from each is different.  Not all radiation comes from radioactive atoms, for instance we are constantly exposed to cosmic rays from deep space and low level electromagnetic radiation from electronic devices and radio broadcast, etc.

Knowing the difference may help you plan for better shelters and for safer treatments of contamination.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.