Home Page

Article - Everything you need to know about making your own aquaponics system

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Disclaimer, I'm not an aquaponics expert and I cannot verify the claim that the article has Everything you need to know.

That being said, it does contain a LOT of information and I would advise anyone who is considering doing an aquaponics setup, to at least read the article.

It is too short to really have everything you need to know, but it does give a good start.

http://theweekendprepper.com/gardening/everything-you-need-to-know-to-start-your-own-aquaponics-system/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:06:41 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Rose

• To be the ant, not the grasshopper.
The article was a good start. We tried aquaponics, but found out that in Nevada and California you cannot grow Tilapia. As a matter of edible fish, the only thing we could grow legally was catfish, which has (surprisingly) a poor survival rate despite it's prehistoric reputation as a survivor fish.  We wound up having to toss our idea of raising edible fish in the system and put in gold fish, which make a nice amount of 'fertilizer' for our system.

We tried a floating system with the little rockwool buckets. It worked okay, but not as wondrous as we had hoped. We have friends who tried growing in the pipes (roots clogged up the system) and the lightweight clay rocks. The rocks worked the best.

One of the most important things we learned was to make sure that you have enough air in your system (The bubble rocks work great!) and to have good light. Eventually we went back to raised gardens, but since then we moved to a smaller yard and don't have the room for larger gardens. We might try the aquaponics idea again.

Good luck with it! 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Hi Rose,

Good to hear from you again.

Re Aquaponics and Tilapia in Reno.  At the last swap meet, I met a couple who are local to Reno and they DO raise Tilapia in their pond.

Their names are Quentin and Nina-Waiata Koromete.  Their website is FoodSecurityTech.com.  They have a local business and you can schedule a tour of their aquaponics setup by giving them a call or email (contact form on the website).  They sell the entire aquaponics setup, but I suspect they will be willing to discuss how they keep the fish alive in our Reno climate.
FYI
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.