Home Page

Skill set - Leather Working

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Skill set - Leather Working
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:08:55 AM »
I've never done this myself, but I know that a few of our members have this skill.

Consider it one of the necessary skills in any long term collapse scenario.

Shoes, gloves, shirts and pants can all be made with leather.  I'm told that they wear much better (last longer) than most fabric items.

This article gives a good intro to both the tools needed and a sample project to get started.

https://survivalblog.com/leatherworking-for-the-beginner-by-r-s/

This is an item (bulk leather stock) which I did NOT have on my list of prepper supplies... oops.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Re: Skill set - Leather Working
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
I have fooled with it some, I have a friend that is fairly accomplished.  In a grid down scenario where manufacturing will cease it would be a very barter able skill to have.  There should be skins around to be able to pick up for a reasonable sum.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:06:33 AM »
eeyore,

Do you have any reference material you can share with the group?

Books, video links, leather sources, etc?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
TWP, you can go online, of course, but Tandy Leather on Kietzke has books from the very basics to major projects. And they have starter kits that will get you some hands on to learn skills before you tackle anything big.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »
I was hoping that eeyore had some recommendations.

I know of some sites on leather work.

These are downloadable books/pdf/etc

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1343

These are older books, in PDF format and out of copyright.

I will update as I find more.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
I will go through what I have and see what I can find on leather work.  I have done the Tandy starter kit.  If you go that route you will get some paper work, a video (probably a DVD now) some starter tools and some cut out projects, that have you put them together and dye.  It is fine for an introduction.  My friends biggest problems were keeping stuff organized and keeping to leather stored properly.  The organization I helped with, by making simple racks to hold his punches and tools and I gave him to old heavy government surplus desks, that he put side by side.  The drawers of the desks and the racks kept everything ready to use.  His second biggest problem was storage of the leather, we have pretty high humidity on the middle Eastern seaboard.  He used to turn out pretty good holsters and slings and made some really elaborate dog leashes for train pointer dogs.  After the hunt club he was a part of shut down, so did his orders.  Just like any other hobby it can get expensive. 

I would contact your local Tandy or leather working shop and see if they would be willing to come and do a demo for your group as part of one of your meetings.  That might get you at least an intro to see if you are interested.  Or you could ask them if they had a customer that would be interested in showing you the ropes.  There might be a local leather club that already set up, that you might attend their meetings or demos.

There is always utube there are hundreds of videos there.  What I do is I use a utube copier (YTD) to download them and then a FLV player to watch them as many times as I want. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tmac

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 07:59:12 PM »
I can weigh in on any questions as well. A great site I have used for years is http://leatherworker.net/.  This is my go to source for all questions leather working. also search Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage on Youtube. These guys have informative videos that have helped me for years.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 03:18:35 PM »
I can vouch for Tmac. I have some of his products and they are absolutely great. He knows his stuff.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)