Home Page

"Smokeless" camp stove

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
"Smokeless" camp stove
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:19:43 AM »
This design is for a more permanent or long term campsite.  If you use cement, it will be rain proot, whereas clay may be damaged by heavy rainfalls.  You can build a rain shield over the stove.

"Smokeless" is in quotes, because it really is only "less smoky", but with practice, you can learn to keep the smoke to a real minimum.

HINT: start with a Small fire and don't add larger pieces of wood until it is burning evenly, then build the heat with more wood.  Small diameter sticks are best here.  You want small diameter, quick burning, dry wood, NOT big logs.

The key is the air channel under the burning shelf which mixes fresh air with the hot gases, giving a clean (cleaner) burn, ie. less smoke.

This web page has good pictures and you should feel free to modify your design to suit your needs.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/the-smokeless-easy-to-build-off-grid-cooking-stove/

DO NOTE the burn shelf is free to slide.  This allows you to start your fire outside the stove and slide it in once it is burning nice and hot.

I like the use of two pipes as "runners" to support the burn shelf.  They need not be round, but use what you have.

Not shown well is the pot holder on top of the flue. Here again, two steel pipes would make an excellent holder.

The two shelves can be just about any metal, but avoid aluminum as it cannot withstand heat for any great period of time and will eventually sag, oxidize and break.  For that reason, I would NOT use an old street sign.

Steel shelving is my recommendation and is readily available, even a #10 can can be cut open and spread flat.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.