Home Page

Digital Security Article

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Digital Security Article
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
This is a two part article on Survivalblog.com

It is worth reading if you are concerned about online privacy (I know I certainly am...).

http://survivalblog.com/digital-security-part-1-by-dakota/

http://survivalblog.com/digital-security-part-2-by-dakota/

I note, in my internet browsing, that a lot of people are recommending the use of "meta" search engines which do not expose your data to capture in their mega-databases.  I personally use startpage.com ( also known as ixquick.com, same company, with a new brand name...).  The author addresses this, in part 1 of the article.

Because the worlds largest search engine (google.com) is also the worst offender, please note that startpage / ixquick DOES NOT allow google to see your personal information when they transfer google results as part of your search.  The same is true for the other major search engines.

Again my personal recommendations:

1)  Use one of the recommended meta-search engines (above).

2)  Seriously consider changing operating systems on your computer.  Several members of this group are competent to advise you on this.  I make myself available to anyone who wants to install Linux to replace Windows.

3)  Stop using your real name online.  I know, it is enormously difficult to do, after the fact, but do consider making the attempt.   Again, people can advise you on how to proceed.

If you are new to the issue of online security, I highly recommend that you do some research.  I really hope that what you find scares you enough to take steps to protect your online and offline identity.

FYI
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:48:08 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.