Home Page

Water Wells in Rancho Haven and Red Rock Area

Water Wells in Rancho Haven and Red Rock Area
« on: April 26, 2015, 12:12:38 PM »
I'm going to start looking for some property in the Rancho Haven/Red Rock area and was curious if anyone can comment on the water in the upper area near Dixie Lane and Red Rock Rd.

Specifically, what are typical well depths and GPM production in that area?

Any areas to avoid or focus on?

Thanks
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Water Wells in Rancho Haven and Red Rock Area
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 06:20:37 PM »
Well depths are highly variable over time and location.  There is an artesian puddle to the north side of Fetlock, which means that the well depth is about negative two feet (the water bubbles out of the ground) in wet years, and then sinks to 80 feet below the surface in dry years (so far).  Just two miles to the east of that artesian puddle, another friend of ours in the same valley has a 450 foot deep well.  We are at the summit of Red Rock Road halfway between the start and the finish of the road, and our well is at 260 feet.  One mile south are some properties whose wells have dried up completely and the houses appear to have been abandoned for the past three years or so.

There is a commercial water project that has rights to pump massive amounts of water from Dry Valley and pipe it down to the Stead area.  At one point in the planning department discussions, they admitted that they would probably cause all the domestic wells in Sierra Ranchos and Rancho Haven to dry up, and that in turn would invoke a law that would require the company to provide a system to deliver domestic water to households (not ranchers), and of course to charge for that water.  Ranchers would have to import water by truck.

Often people will assume that, if their well dries up, they can always drill deeper (if they have the money).  As the stories about dry wells in Lemon Valley attest, sometimes there simply is no more water down there, no matter how deep you dig.  A personal friend in Flagstaff found that out the hard way.  He stopped drilling at 1,800 ft. and spent $130,000 -- still no water.

Our well can produce about 4 gallons per minute.

Minimum lot sizes were originally established based on the state water master's estimate of the available flow, assuming that each household will consume one half acre-foot of water per year.  So, the wetter areas have smaller lots (typically, 10 acres), and the drier areas have larger lots (typically 40 or 80 acres).

Washoe County officials have talked about putting meters on domestic wells so that usage can be monitored (and excess water use controlled), but nothing has come of that proposal yet.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:16:09 PM »
Thanks Red Rocker. I'm in NorCal now near Grass Valley so the mystery of water wells isn't at all new to me. I have two wells on my property now, one is 325' and dribbles, the other is at 165' and when drilled it was an artesian flowing about 15 gpm  out the top. Even in drought years we can pull 20+ GPM out.   

I wasn't sure if the aquafir was out of Pyramid or the Carson Sink up there, sounds like neither. Do you have any idea what the going rate is per foot on wells?

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:13:25 AM »
Your prospective well is in Nevada Hydrographic Region 7, specifically Basin #95, estimated at 51,200 acres in size.  http://water.nv.gov/programs/planning/counties/

Generally speaking, in Nevada, if you are standing in the middle of a valley, there is a small aquifer under your feet as far as the eye can see -- but no farther.  Given our basin and range geology, that won't be very far.  Most aquifers are between 4 and 10 feet deep here.  There are so many faults and intrusions in Nevada that almost every rise in the surface landscape represents a geologic condition that will prevent the horizontal movement of underground water.

Our well was drilled in 2006 and if memory serves -- which it might not -- it ran $65 a foot.

Since the creation of the volunteer rain gauge organization, CoCoRaHs about eight years ago, enough precipitation information has been collected in the area to allow the National Weather Service to make some very localized predictions of climate on the East side of the Peterson Range.  If you are a member of CoCoRaHS and have been reporting precipitation for at least five water years, the NWS will prepare a climate report for your station and enter it into the PRISM System.  You must be a member of CoCoRaHS to access the PRISM system.  http://www.cocorahs.org/

In my case, PRISM predicts that my average water year will see 14.9 inches of precipitation (most of it in the form of snow).  The last water year (ending September 30th, 2014) we actually received only 8.21 inches, which is 55% of average. 

There is one other active reporting station in the Dry Valley -- Red Rock valley system, and it received 9.34 inches last year.  That other reporting station is on Fetlock Drive.  There were two other reporting stations in the valley, but the houses are presently abandoned and have been for the past 2-3 years.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »
Our well was drilled in 2006 and if memory serves -- which it might not -- it ran $65 a foot.

Crap, I don't like your memory one bit. I had no idea drilling had gotten so expensive. Some good news though, I called one driller in Reno and they quoted me $41-$43 a foot, plus $1500 to $2K for move in/move out fees. Thats drilling, casing and seal, no other hardware.

Still pretty expensive compared to my first well over here at $10 a foot.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »

Crap, I don't like your memory one bit. I had no idea drilling had gotten so expensive. Some good news though, I called one driller in Reno and they quoted me $41-$43 a foot, plus $1500 to $2K for move in/move out fees. Thats drilling, casing and seal, no other hardware.

Still pretty expensive compared to my first well over here at $10 a foot.

I'm putting a new well on my property in Palomino Valley and was quoted 12,000 for a 200 foot well, casing and all the county needs to get a permit.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
I'm putting a new well on my property in Palomino Valley and was quoted 12,000 for a 200 foot well, casing and all the county needs to get a permit.

Ken who did you get the quote from? I called Bruce Mackay for my information and they seemed very helpful and had a pretty good idea of the area and problem areas up there
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Ken K7KBJ