Home Page

Preppers: Three Overrated Crops

Offline 230gr

« on: May 09, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »
I do wish that, under SHTF conditions, more people would realize that the survival garden cannot be like the same as you garden today.  This article only touches the issue but it is a start. Though I think that if the correct you carefully select  certin old Indian cultivate, corn can be a viable food crop for most areas.  The Mandan peoples raised surplus corn to barter with the Plains tribes but never allowed manure of any type near their gardens as it was consided “unclean”. 
Tomatoes are not justifiable as a major crop but the smaller, cherry types are much easier to grow than slicers. Tomatoes are just too versatile (and tasty) to do without completely.
Cucumbers are really not justifiable but some older “pickling” might be the best if you must.

We need crops that are easy to grow and are packed with nutrients.

Corn
For the beginner gardener, this is probably the most overrated seed preppers can stockpile.
Nitrogen requirements are very high and all kinds of pests will feast on the ears.  Just before harvest, raccoons will bend the stalks over and will devour your corn crop.  What raccoons do not eat, worms will.
Tomatoes
This will probably catch a lot of flack, but here goes.  One of the riskiest crops someone can grow, besides corn, is tomatoes. Seeds have to be started at just the right time so the plants are producing before the summer heat is in full swing.  Once the summer heat arrives, tomato plants have a habit of dying.
Cucumbers
Probably the most useless crop a prepper can have.
During a long term collapse of society, we should focus on crops that have calories and nutrients, cucumbers have neither.  Cucumbers are almost devoid of nutrients and calories.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/05/09/preppers-three-overrated-crops/

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Preppers: Three Overrated Crops
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »
Personally, I really like corn and tomatoes, but corn is best planted as the "three sisters", corn, beans and squash where the beans and squash help supply some of the nutrients needed by the corn.

I'm glad I don't have any restrictions (moral, religious etc.) on using manure on gardens...  I am not totally ok with humanure due to disease propagation problems, but these can be addressed by appropriate composting and digesting.

Good article.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:18:10 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Preppers: Three Overrated Crops
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 05:07:35 PM »
I don't have any restrictions (moral, religious etc.) on using manure on gardens..

The point was their corn produced without the massive application of that modern field corn and most modern sweet corns require to produce.

Yes, beans vining up the corn help supply nitrogen to the corn and pumpkins shade the soil for moisture retention. I always plant corn in hills with  pole beans and pumpkins or squash in between. It definitely works. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions