Home Page

Bug-out location selection

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Bug-out location selection
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »
This is a set of links to mapped information relating to choosing a BOL.

Some of it is worth a chuckle, but mostly it is thoughtful and useful

Starting with humor... Look at Nevada's internet search criteria or Texas...
Scroll down for more.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/retreat-living/looking-to-move-to-another-state-check-this-map-first/#more-40415

Crime stats by state:

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/retreat-living/lowest-to-highest-taxes-by-state/

Income tax by state:

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/retreat-living/state-income-tax-comparison/

Federal Land by state:

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/retreat-living/government-owned-land-near-you/

15 year old dynamic map of population density change 1980-2000.  Where were people going?

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/retreat-living/population-density-migration-1980-2000/

Survival Retreats vs Population Density (2012).  There are several different views here.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/retreat-living/survival-retreat-population-density/

Safer" distances from major population centers:  YMMV

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/retreat-living/safer-survival-distance-from-usa-city-hordes/

With respect to how far is "safe",  I think you would need to get far enough away to survive
the initial flood of "zombies" trying to escape the big cities.  Reality says that natural selection
will reduce the number of people fairly quickly.  The down side to this is that the survivors will
be more dangerous...  Common sense might keep you alive.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Bug-out location selection
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 02:05:06 PM »
Finding the 'perfect' place is, as with most things, pretty much impossible, especially depending on one's definition of perfect. I think factoring in many of the ideas in the article is wise, but they do tend to be generalities for large areas. There can be fairly large pockets amidst some of the less desirable areas that might be suitable for use. Most of the major recommendations for the 'best' BOL locations put Nevada pretty far down the list. But it is based on the whole state, which is heavily influenced by Las Vegas and Reno statistics. The I-80 corridor from Fernley to Wells has a great deal to recommend it, if specific problems in the area are addressed.

So, as usual, I have a few thoughts on the general subject:

My thoughts on obtaining a piece of property. This is what I’m looking for when I get rich and infamous:

This would be for a primary home, a second home/BOL/retreat, or a location for a minimal BOL (described in other posts)(My preference is a very secure home, with a series of these small, minimal, 'hunting cabin' plus cache BOLs.)

As to reasons to bug out, my philosophy is to only bug out if staying is more dangerous, or will likely become more dangerous, than going. That covers many possibilities, but it is a decision that is very situational, dependent on many factors. And it will also vary with the capabilities of each of the places.

Minimum of 100 miles away from any SAC base, missile site, naval base, military staging & training area, and major cities

Minimum of 50 miles away from large cities, nuclear power plants, research centers, dams up stream from the proposed location, concentrations of potentially dangerous businesses (refineries, bulk fuel plants, industries using chemicals in bulk quantities, airports, rail interchanges, etc). Some people recommend being at least the average distance that most vehicles can travel on one tank of fuel. This is in the neighborhood of 250 to 350 miles. This makes some sense, but may not be practical in many areas. Major cities can often be closer than that. But more is better, though, up to the point where you can still have reasonable access to the city for those resources a city does provide during normal times.

Near a small city or town of twenty-five thousand population or less, with a diversified economic base is best. Agriculture does not have to be the primary industry, but there should be at least some types of food production locally. Small truck farms are better than a huge single crop plantation.

Preferably, the town will own and operate its own power generation plant as well as the water supply and sewer disposal facility. In some smaller towns, this is not possible, or even likely, but check anyway. You might get lucky.

Make sure you have absolute right of way to the property. Some realtors will sell land in the middle of a tract that has no access. Beware.

The lay of the land should lend itself to easy defense, or be easy to make it defensible.

Climate/micro climate: The area should allow production of food crops with reasonable effort, and not have extremes of temperatures summer or winter. Green houses can off-set somewhat marginal garden conditions.

Good southern exposure on at least part of the property

Hopefully a wooded/forested area to the north of the property

Flowing water is nice, a good potable water source is mandatory. Check out the depth, quality, flow rate, and expense of water wells in the area

The ideal water situation would be a reliable city or rural water district supply of high quality untreated water, backed up by a twenty-five to fifty foot shallow well with a static water level of seven to fifteen feet and a flow rate of fifteen hundred gallons per hour or more of soft, uncontaminated water with a three-quarter horsepower to two horsepower shallow well pump with a forty-two to one-hundred-twenty gallon pre-pressurized storage tank. Finally, with a hand pump kept in good repair on the well you are ready for any emergency.

The sewer disposal situation is a little different. Very few areas permit installing a septic system if a city sewer line is within two hundred to five hundred feet of the property line. You have either city sewer or a septic system. You cannot have both of them. An exception is where a new sewer line is installed in an area not formerly served by city sewers. There is usually a period of two to five years to allow everyone time to make hookups before the septic systems are declared illegal to use.
If you must hook to the city sewer, be sure that the system is reliable. If it is not reliable during normal times you really have problems in a disaster. If reports indicate poor sewer service either find another place in the same town with better service, if possible, or find another area.

Check on the availability of telephone, cell phone service, natural gas, and electric service before purchasing the land. If any of the services are not available, you must consider what alternatives you will choose.

Besides room for a garden, there should also be space available for burying small amounts of human waste and garbage for a short time if it ever becomes necessary.

Space provisions for dogs, cats, rabbits, and chickens, bees, etc., should be made if you ordinarily have them or plan to keep these animals. Space should also be allocated for any other special reasons you may have.

Total acreage depends on how much elbow room you want, garden space needed, animal space needed, farm support crop area needed, firewood requirements, among any other needs you may have. I don’t think you can have too much land. Five acres if you aren’t going to burn your own wood for heat. Ten acres is better. Twenty-five should do. More at your discretion and bank account balance.

If you are going to use wood for fuel, most forested lands can produce one cord of firewood per acre per year continuously by using coppicing techniques. Try to get double the amount of woodlot you need and set it up to coppice as you harvest the wood.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)