Home Page

Artilcle - Use the ‘STOP’ technique to avoid potential survival situations

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
If you, or others in your group, are prone to panic when stress arises, read this, or have them read this.

It is a simple process and, once learned, it can be applied to everyday life situations too.

S.T.O.P
Stop
Think
Observer
Plan

https://survivalcommonsense.com/stop-and-control-panic/

What causes your panic?

Is a bad hangnail distracting you from work?  Are you late for an appointment?  Missed an important call?  Stuck waiting at a stop light?  Did you hear loud noises and gunshots from outside?  Is someone yelling at you face-to-face?  Did the news just announce something which will rock your world?  Do you worry about the collapse of world currency?  All of these can induce panic reactions.

All of these can benefit from the STOP technique.  Yes, some of them require a more immediate action on your part... Don't sit waiting at the stop light after it changes to green and extract yourself from the point of immediate threat.  The time needed to run through the four steps' S. T. O. P. can vary, so take what time you need and can safely spend.  If necessary, move to a safe spot before beginning the first step; "Stop". 

Learn this and make it second nature.  Lead others in your group through this process so they learn it too.  Training comes first, followed by practice.

Feel free to run about in circles, scream and shout AFTER you have gone through the S.T.O.P. process.  If it feels silly to then run, scream or shout, then it worked.  If not, STOP and do it again.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Just a question, TWP.

Can I also wave my arms when I run in circles, scream, and shout?

I ways run in circles, wave my arms, scream, and shout when I panic. I do not want to panic the wrong way.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

You obviously have taken the advance training in panic reactions.

I'm informed that it is best to wear brightly colored clothing and carry streamers in each hand when waving them about.  The point being to attract as much attention as possible...

This works well if you've made prior arrangements with your group and it is agreed that one of the party will serve as a distract to draw attention away from the main group.  This is also know as the "sacrifice play".
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Sort of like the OODA loop

Observe
Over react
Destroy
Apologize

;) 8)

Observe
Orient
Decide
Act
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline TWP

Sort of like the OODA loop

Observe
Over react
Destroy
Apologize

;) 8)

Observe
Orient
Decide
Act

I notice that the first case is being used more frequently of late... ::)

I'll not name names, but I think we can all see the signs in MSM (Main Stream Media) "news" reporting.  "It is always easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Just a question, TWP.

Can I also wave my arms when I run in circles, scream, and shout?

I ways run in circles, wave my arms, scream, and shout when I panic. I do not want to panic the wrong way.

Just my opinion.

Back when I was working, mgmt had us doing fire drills and shelter in place drills.  One day my mgr told me we were going to have a SIPlace drill and for me to handle our section.

When it was announced I stood up an in my best command voice called out and let the section know to meet at the printer “Rat  now”. When they got there I pointed at two workers and said “ You and you panic.  Ever both else follow me”

We got to our SIP place pretty much before everyone else.  The group thought my you and you joking made the drill.

Just remember. If you’re calm and cool while others around panic —- you obviously do not understand the situation.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline TWP

Just remember. If you’re calm and cool while others around panic —- you obviously do not understand the situation.

Or it means you're the instigator of the situation which caused others to panic... ;D   Best to be the Grey Man and appear to panic along with everyone else.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions