Home Page

Article - How to Choose a Good Campsite as a Bug-Out Location

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Very good article on evaluating camp sites as potential Bug-Out Locations.

The next time you go camping, apply these criteria and decide if that spot would be a good destination, if the need arises...

http://preparednessadvice.com/security/how-to-choose-a-good-campsite/

There are 17 points to consider, so this is a fairly thorough checklist - make a copy and take it with you.

I would like to post the the entire article here, but I will respect the authors rights and make you follow the link...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline ken_

Re: Article - How to Choose a Good Campsite as a Bug-Out Location
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »
My preferred bugout location is about 200 miles from where I live. If I thought I had a better than even chance of making it there in a SHTF situation, that's where I'm going. If not, I'm staying put as my neighborhood seems more secluded, less likely to attract large crowds, and more easily defensible than any place I've found within a days walk from home.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Article - How to Choose a Good Campsite as a Bug-Out Location
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 01:50:11 AM »
Replying to my own post, I have two campsites in which I have spent enough time to evaluate as Bug-Out locations (BOL's).

One is in California ( a major negative factor ) but it has ample water, wood and is at the end of a 13 mile dirt road (this is a problem because there is no "back" way in or out for vehicles.  There are plenty of trails for foot or bike travel.  The road could be blocked with a few downed trees which would make it more difficult for the "zombie" horde to approach with their vehicles.  I don't expect this to happen due to the cost in gas to run a vehicle up the mountains.

The Cali site is at 4000 ft. elevation and requires going over a "pass" at 5000 ft.  This means it is snow locked for several months out of the year.  It does get snow fall measured in feet, not inches.

There are a few deer in the area, but I don't expect them to last long in a SHTF situation due to hunters from the "flat lands".  We also have a native bear population which could be a problem

The site has a number of mine shafts and tunnels from the hydraulic mining of the 1850's.  These could be converted to shelters with some work.

The area has a few cleared spots where the '49ers' had their gardens and these might be replanted with minimum effort on my part.  These are located a mile or more from my primary campsite which gives me some security but makes for longer travel days.

The second campsite with which I have enough knowledge is located in Nevada, again in the Sierra Range, and at higher altitude then Reno.  It too gets snow for months.  It is drier but has some wet spots which may offer a water source.  I would need to do some digging to see if the water flow is sufficient for all seasons.

Again, there are a few deer in the area based on various signs, but I've never actually seen one.  It is hunted also.

Being on the Nevada side of the Sierras, it has somewhat better sun but fewer trees (this could be a problem if I needed to cut many of them for firewood.  There is some underbrush which could be collected, but I'm not sure the effort would be worth the gain.  I expect to use underbrush as compost for gardening, assuming the site has enough water during the growing season.

Nevada has another advantage as a BOL due to the lower population density right now.  I expect we could see a bunch of refugees coming across the mountains if California becomes less inviting due to whatever event drives me to a BOL.  That potential horde would, I hope, stick to the main road routes over the pass and my Nevada site is several miles off of any large roads.  That could be false security, but it is better than being directly on one of those main mountain roadways.

In keeping with the article linked in my OP, I hope to have the chance to look for other campsites and evaluate them as possible BOL's.  I want to avoid going East from Reno, due to the appreciably drier conditions in that direction.  I won't rule it out, but the major water resources are also located along the main highway which makes them more accessible and less secure.

I know of a few other sites in Nevada, due to our outings with this (NNPG) group, but they are (IMO) too close to Reno and are known to more than a few people.  They would fall in the "backup" category as temporary sites for a short stop on my way to someplace else.

I hope this thumbnail evaluation helps you look at your known campsites as possible BOL's and I hope you don't have to use them...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.