dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Discussion about Nukes
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »
I read the comments at the bottom of the Amazon page.

Note the one (single) test which did NOT show any change (exposure) in a very high dosage.  This may (DON'T KNOW FOR SURE) mean that the badge was already used up by background radiation exposure.

This makes me wonder about how to shield these until you want to start using one.

The idea is good, but they are one-time-use only and you must note the accumulated exposure when you begin use (start reading).

I'd rather have an actual radiation exposure meter, but these might work in a crisis situation.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Clay

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »
I was thinking they might be good to put on your windshield, like the sticker they put on at the oil change place. The same company makes badges that look like an I'd card and can be kept in a wallet.

The review that you speak of is a little suspect, but then how do we really know if any of this stuff works?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 04:33:27 PM »
I would put the money for Radstickers to a good meter and calibration.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Update on the Sohae Launch Facility in the DPRK
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 07:03:27 PM »
The mainstream media started a fuss with the theory that the North Koreans were getting ready to launch a vehicle into low earth orbit (LEO) in October for the 70th anniversary of something or another.  As I wrote in a previous email, as of four weeks ago, there really was no confirmation of any launch preparations at the Sohae heavy booster facility.

A series of overhead imagery missions has just been completed and a report published by 38 North.  There is still no proof that launch preparations are in-process.  However, absence of proof is not proof of absence.  The way the equipment is configured, it may not be possible to detect a booster on the pad until a few hours prior to launch.  The vehicle transporter tower has moved between the vehicle assembly building and the launch pad several times over the past week.

A Sohae launch would be an important event.  Previous long-range launches were towards the south.  A launch from Sohae would be in the general direction of the United States.

If there is a launch, then booster plume intensity, color and burn duration would give some idea of the potential throw-weight (payload mass) – thanks to the SBIRS program (Lockheed Martin).  If the throw weight is more than about 600 pounds, then that would be adequate for the DPRK to propel a nuclear warhead of their current design far enough to hit the Western United States.  This is why so many analysts are watching the activity.

The German press reported today that Iran openly admitted that they are receiving launch system design assistance from the DPRK.  This was long believed to be true, but Iran now has no reason to hide the facts.

Just as an aside, I saw where Russia put a mockup of the world’s largest hydrogen bomb on display in a Moscow museum.  All the little kiddies eating crisps while the docent tells them about thermonuclear war.

I have to wonder if, in the event of a North Korean missile launch towards the US, precisely what the US would do and how the US would react.  Would they attempt to activate the old Civil Defense System?  Would the White House even realize anything happened until it was all over -- and maybe not even then, if they are stoned out of their minds on marijuana?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clay

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 01:31:22 AM »
There's a book that just came out entitled "command and control" that I highly recommend. It takes a serious look at our nuclear program here in the US. It's not exactly one of those feel good books, if you know what I mean, but it paints a clear picture. Upper echelon have a place and the rest of us are on our own.

As for North Korea, KJU is on his way out. My sources say (and I trust them for what it's worth) that the recent ordeal over there with the "missing" subs and the propaganda speakers was actually a coup attempt. KJU escaped with his life, but it's been made clear his time is limited. There is quite a bit of talk now about unification and I believe it's not too far in the future there will be no north or south.

The question then becomes who's the next bad guy? Putin is my answer.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions