Home Page

Politics - California 'three states' plan OK'd for November ballot

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Politics - California 'three states' plan OK'd for November ballot
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
pengyou;

We are talking about California here...  Perhaps "confused" is a euphemism for "altered state of mind".   :o

And then we must add politics and money to the mix...

Yeah, confused it is.

I worry about the California expats who are moving North and East.  They are moving because they are not satisfied with California society and laws, but they bring with them the same mindset.  Look at Eastern Washington and Oregon...  I used to live in both places, and I'll never go back.  It is bad enough here in Reno, with a stream of Californians coming over the pass.  They raise our real estate prices and skew our politics.

ARGHHHH!!!!!  >:(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline pengyou

• Think outside of the box to avoid being put in one
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 05:43:43 PM »
pengyou;

We are talking about California here...  Perhaps "confused" is a euphemism for "altered state of mind".   :o

And then we must add politics and money to the mix...

Yeah, confused it is.

I worry about the California expats who are moving North and East.  They are moving because they are not satisfied with California society and laws, but they bring with them the same mindset.  Look at Eastern Washington and Oregon...  I used to live in both places, and I'll never go back.  It is bad enough here in Reno, with a stream of Californians coming over the pass.  They raise our real estate prices and skew our politics.

ARGHHHH!!!!!  >:(

That is one stroke in favor of living in Northern Nevada, outside of the greater Reno area (I have often wondered if there was really anything great about Reno to begin with?)  I have never met a Californian that wants to move to Nevada, outside of Reno, Tahoe & Las Vegas!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline xoruss

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »
3rd Attempt:
If successful, the splitting of the PRK into 3 will give us:
The New Left
The Old Left
What's Left

Russ
PRK Refugee Class of 1978
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 06:20:02 PM »
The problem will be; who will be wielding the reins of government in each new state?

Look at the way this latest proposal drew the border lines.  Each new state has one or more of the political strongholds as its population center.  San Francisco, Sacramento and Los Angeles.  Gee, do you think that was deliberately done?  I do.

Not good for Joe Sixpack who just wants to run a business with less government interaction, or manage a farm with less regulations.  And then there will be taxes...

The general class citizen will not see much change in the flavor of government...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline salty

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
Such a large group of confused people...

California should use that for their state motto on their license plates...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clay

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
The problem will be; who will be wielding the reins of government in each new state?

Look at the way this latest proposal drew the border lines.  Each new state has one or more of the political strongholds as its population center.  San Francisco, Sacramento and Los Angeles.  Gee, do you think that was deliberately done?  I do.

Not good for Joe Sixpack who just wants to run a business with less government interaction, or manage a farm with less regulations.  And then there will be taxes...

The general class citizen will not see much change in the flavor of government...

It's actually that sacramento and SF are in northern, LA in California and San Diego in southern.

Please keep in mind, there are quite a few of "US" that are still here. Pengyou, I would be one of "them" that wants to move to the north....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »
Such a large group of confused people...

California should use that for their state motto on their license plates...

I LIKE THAT!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline xoruss

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
Over the years I have heard the proposal to split PRK many, many times. Split it in 2... 3... 5. There were always seemingly solid ideas as to why the split should take place. I will believe it when I see it.
Russ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 07:39:48 PM »
xoruss;  "Hope Springs Eternal..."

Truthfully, I see the politicians using this bandwagon to keep their parade going.

I think they will be surprised someday and it will pass, perhaps not this time but...  Oops, now what do we do?

This current proposal is being pushed by a venture capitalist: Tim Draper.  I'm having a hard time believing the reasons he is publicly stating for this effort.  There is Always some hidden agenda, and it isn't being explored by the media (yet).

One problem (only one) which California is facing is water.  This split does Not address this and will therefore be kicked down the road.  Whether these potential new states can do any better in addressing the water problem... remains to be seen.  Perhaps some deal will go on "under the table"?  Nah!  That never happens.... Right? ::)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline xoruss

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 01:05:54 AM »
 Water was the issue when I was a kid and they only wanted to split the PRK in half. North had it... south took it via a big aqueduct from the Sacramento River Delta. North would be on water restrictions in dry years... south wouldn't be.
Russ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 07:05:52 AM »
When I last lived in Kalifornia, we had a mining claim on a fork of the North Yuba river.  But just after I left, they banned all gold dredges from operation in the entire state.  Seems they didn't want any disturbance in the water sources... One argument given was that we dredgers were disturbing the mercury left in the stream beds by the early miners.  Yes, we found mercury when we dredged... and we removed it...  I didn't see any attempt by the state water authorities to even consider a program to remove the mercury...  They didn't really care, but they were being lobbied by the environmental groups to stop miners and mining in the state.

While I was on the claim, we had at least two serious storms which raised the stream level, a lot, the amount of rock and gravel that any storm moves absolutely dwarfs what we dredgers could do, collectively, in any dredging season (limited times of the year when we could work the claims.

I could rant about this for many pages... Don't get me started... >:( :( :-\
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions