Home Page

Article - Selco: How to Stay Warm During a Long-Term SHTF Situation

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Article - Selco: How to Stay Warm During a Long-Term SHTF Situation
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 07:46:31 PM »
I thought I had already mentioned an air inlet/exhaust window panel, but when I checked my earlier posts in this thread, I see that I did not. I am attaching a drawing of one concept, though it is not for heating, but air filtration. But the idea is similar. One aspect of the design that could actually be applied, would be to reverse the direction of the inlet/outlet. This way, the pre-filter box could have some filters added to it to help suppress odors of cooking. Basically the same set of filters that I have mentioned for air filtration for shelter spaces, minus the HEPA filter.

And here is a response for a thread on heating from another forum of which I am a member:

I have used all but a couple of these over the years as either primary, auxiliary, or back-up heat sources:

1) Wood stove
2) Coal stove
3) Fire place
4) Natural gas furnace (electronic controls and electric blower)
5) Propane furnace (electronic controls and electric blower)
6) All electric heat (Lord, I hated that system)
7) Non-electronic/non-electric propane floor furnace
8) Non-electronic/non-electric propane wall furnace
9) Several different fueled boilers, with radiators and hydronic floor heat
10) Propane 'Buddy' heaters
11) Kerosene heaters
12) Outdoor multi-fuel furnace
13) Solar warm air panels
14) Kitchen stove ovens with various fuels
15) DIY ceramic flower pot with tea light candles heater
16) Electric heat pump (did not care for this one, either)
17) Ground water based heat pump (This one was good)
18) Open fire pit (lined with hammered steel 'bowl') in a tent/tipi kind of shelter thing... (burned everything in that pit from wood to coal to dung to scrap wood to cattails to some other stuff I doubt I remember)
19) Pellet/corn stove
20) Boulder heated by phaser
21) Single barrel and two-barrel wood stove kits (in shops, one with coal grate)
22) Diesel torpedo heater in several shops (scary things)
23) Salamander diesel heater in several shops (also scary) (orchard smudge pot heater)
24) Various electric/electronic control propane/natural gas infrared shop heaters

(Yeah. I am joking about #20)

I have not used the outdoor multi-fuel furnace, but I have been in a shop that used one. It was great. Never used a pellet furnace. Been in a couple of houses with them. Good heat, but without generator or an expensive 12v DC conversion feed system, not a good back up system. Never used the phaser heated boulder, either, as far as that goes.

All of the others I have been around for short times to full time. If (when) I build my own place, the primary heat will be a pair of multi-fuel outdoor furnace with self-contained solar panel/battery bank power system to run the pumps and blowers. Wood, coal, propane, methane, natural gas, fuel oil, waste oil, and basically anything else burnable. With water heating capability to provide domestic hot water and hydronic heating water to heat the floors of specific rooms, and to provide hot water to swimming pool, parking area, driveway, garage, and roof snow melting systems.

Back-up and for ambiance I would have Rumford style fireplaces in some rooms. Propane Buddy heaters would provide additional spot back-up.

Primary cooking would be natural gas cook stoves, with propane conversion parts in the kitchen and the outdoor harvest prep kitchen. Back-up cooking would be the Rumford fireplaces (each one equipped for it), plus a wood cook stove in the outdoor patio harvest prep kitchen.

The house would incorporate passive solar heating of several types, as well.

One room or small suite of rooms would be a 'warm room' type set up, which can be closed off and kept both heated and cooled, and the air conditioned and purified for a variety of different reasons.

I have used the ceramic clay flower pot heater and a 'blanket fort' to keep my supplies that a freeze would damage well above the freezing point, as well as me.

Just my opinion.

And one more idea, which I am still in the process of researching, to address the risks of cooking odors primarily, but a few others that might be generated during various prepping activities that could give away a person's location, when that would be very counter-productive. This may (or may not) work for even smoke suppression, if a few additional steps are taken, and some additional parts added to what I am considering.

First, though, the heart of the idea. There are carbon air filters produced for use in greenhouses. As I indicated, I am still doing some R&D using this idea. Here is a link, as an example only, to the type of filter I am thinking about using for an odor reduction system for reducing the odor signature of a prepper home or homestead:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KX41W4/?coliid=I33IKBDY1SQHP6&colid=WQJ1AS549255&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Once I have pursued the idea further, I will post something up.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »
Dang it, I was really hoping you had a Phaser schematic...  ::)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline owldancer

• Just a figment of the imagination!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 08:51:16 AM »
TWP, Leave it up to Jerry he will find a Phaser schematic for us.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 12:46:33 PM »
I will have to see if I can find it again. It is a paper copy, not electronic, and I have no real idea where those old packets of information are. It was actually a pretty simple circuit. Just very low powered.

Just my opinion. (And I really am not kidding.)

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline TWP

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »
An online search lists quite a few plans for prototypes and "working" models.  Not really high power, by my definition, but still.

Now I need the fusion generator to power it... <evil grin>
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
TWP, do you need to borrow my little black book, Plans For World Domination? I have not added very much to it yet.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline TWP

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 07:53:55 PM »
SHHHH!  THEY are listening...  8)

Meet in the alley behind the local , ah no, said too much already.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions