Home Page

Buying land in northern NV

Offline pengyou

• Think outside of the box to avoid being put in one
Buying land in northern NV
« on: March 12, 2018, 04:42:18 AM »
I am new here, but not new to prepper sites.  I started to develop a prepper's heart when I was 13 and saw the mess that was going on in the Middle East.  At that time I also developed a desire, at some point in my life, to have a small farm...for the past 7 years or so I have been shopping for land and keep returning to Elko County.  It is centrally located to my friends and famly, but not convenient for any of them - means not too many visits :)   I also like the flora and the fauna, though most people think I am crazy on this point. 

I am thinking of buying land - really cheap stuff - and would like to hear experiences from people here who have done this.  I am willing to develop a water catchment system - I think a year ago the NV state legislators passed a law allowing this now.  What other things should I be looking out for?  I am really not interested in land that is completely flat.  I would like to build a house into the side of a hill...that limits the land choice a bit.  What else should I be looking for?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Buying land in northern NV
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17:51 AM »
Pengyou;

First, welcome to the NNPG forum.

I've not done what you are planning, but of course I have an opinion or two on it  ;) .

First, water needs higher priority.  If you plan to rely solely on a catchment system, you risk facing a year with low/no precipitation.  Look for a property which has a know water table, within reach of simple drilling techniques.  If you have very deep water table, then do consider hiring a commercial crew to drill your well at the start.  If you have shallow water available, you may be able to drill a well yourself, at a later time.

Agriculture and animals are also a factor, both need lots of water...

I'm looking forward to reading other replies from our membership.

Again, welcome.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:56:17 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »
Accessibility. Might not be a problem during dry years but if the rains up there - when they do come - are anything like western AZ, or even Eli, NV then they are drenchers that can wash out roads and culverts and trap you on the other side of things. Just a thought.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »
Be aware of some significant limits on some land parcels in the area. Mineral rights, for one, are going to be difficult to acquire for many parcels.

Also be aware of the land use rules in place. You might own the land, technically, but there are often a number of restrictions. From water use rights, to grazing rights, to BLM interference, to conservation initiatives already in place on the property than can not only not be removed, but modified, and must be maintained, often at the land owners expense.

Double check the water catchment rules. There have been several types over the years. Some for natural habitat only, some for wild game only, some for non-game animals only, some for drinking water, some specifically not for human consumption.

Check for open range restrictions and easements that might be in place from years ago that are still active, though not used.

Be aware of the coyote population everywhere, but especially around areas where they have easy food sources. Be aware that even if cattle are fenced, they have been known to get out, and wreck havoc until rounded up. Which means buckaroos may have to have access to the property at times to do so.

Be vary aware of access locked land parcels. I believe there are still some pieces of property that are totally surrounded by other properties, whose owners will not grant access, much less an easement. For a variety of reasons. If it is land locked, they can pretty much use it at will, since no one else can get there to protest, except by air, sometimes.

Get topo maps and land-use maps and study them. And try to get someone that knows each area you are considering to go with you to look at the various properties. There are dozens, if not more, of micro-climates here. One side of a ridge might have one type of weather effects under certain conditions, and the other side something quite different. From precipitation to wind, to wild fire, to ground moisture, to lots of other things.

This also plays into access. You might be in a nice, clear, beautiful valley, with temps in the 60s, no wind, and no precip for several days. But when you decide to head into town, you can run into six foot snow drifts on the only road in the area, with any trails that might be there washed out to the point of needing a mule to traverse.

I do not want to discourage you, at all. I think north of Elko is one of the great places to have an off-grid prepper homestead, farm, ranch, and business. But you do need to look into things. That includes a title search. There are several companies in the business in Nevada, for very good reasons. Much of the land does not have clear title, and the majority of the state is owned by federal government entities, with little or no control over it by Nevada state or county governments.

If you do find cheap land, that is usable for what you need, get as much of it as you can. You will need more than you plan for initially, because it takes more under normal circumstances anyway, and given a drought now and then, and a wet year now and then, and a very snowy year now and then, you will need all the land you can get to make it.

One last thing. I mentioned the coyotes. Also be aware of some of the other game in the area. Find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, and just about all of them can be dangerous, Especially elk.

Good luck with your search.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline pengyou

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 03:44:18 PM »
Thank you all so much!  Your information has probably kept me from making a big and expensive mistake.

How can I learn about requirements and such on land?  easements?  blm requirements?  Is there one central location for it all?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline TWP

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »
Sadly, no, you'll need to check with the state, county and BLM offices/websites separately.

As Jerry pointed out, there will be variation among various jurisdictions.

I know some of our members live in the northern Nevada area, perhaps they can give more detailed recommendations about where to look and which whom to speak.  I think a face-to-face meeting with "officials" will be more productive, after you make an appointment via email through the agency websites.

A real estate broker can help you here, but first find one you can trust... ::)

Land owners themselves can give you good advice on who knows their area, but if they are sellers too, they will have a view in their favor...

When you talk to anyone, I advise exercising suitable precautions and don't make it obvious that your viewpoint is that of a "prepper"... Some people don't trust "preppers" and associate us with the far right wing side of politics.  You might BE in that category, but just don't tell them that from the start.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline pengyou

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:05:40 AM »
Thanks.  How can I go about finding out who has mineral rights for a piece of property?  Water is a big issue...Elko County has opened a couple of public "filling stations" where you can get 1,000 gallons for $2....but ya have to have a way to take it with you.  1,000 gallons is a lot of ice coolers!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
Jerry, do you know who is the recorder-of-record for mineral rights ownership in Nevada?

Because of the large (VERY) portion of Nevada which is Not public, huge parts of the state are off limits to just about everything.  The BLM can probably tell you what areas are non-public.  A set of USGS topographical maps, covering a particular part of the state, will also show these areas.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »
I do not, off hand. But I will see what I can find out. I know it is public record, I am just not sure which agency.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline TWP

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 02:45:18 PM »
Jerry: I was hoping you know off the top of your head.  I did a non-Google(r) websearch on "Nevada Mineral Rights" and found this:

http://minerals.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/mineralsnvgov/content/Programs/Mining/NVAgenciesInvolvedWithMining_20160331.pdf

The Nevada Division of Minerals is who ask about right on a given property.

pengyou: If you have a specific property in mind and know how to identify it, then ask at minerals.nv.gov
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 06:05:42 PM »
pengyou:

RE your question about a recommended search engine.

I use Startpage.com  They will give you Google(r) results without passing your IP address to Google(r).  Startpage uses their own IP address, not yours, and then returns the search results.

An alternative is DuckDuckGo.com which does the same thing... Google(r) results without giving your IP address to the Google(r) database.

In my browser (Pale Moon), I have totally removed Google(r) as a search option.  You can also do this with most browsers (including Firefox(r) ).  I recommend it for safety...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pengyou

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 07:56:20 AM »
So.....since this is a Northern Nevada Preppers Group....which part of northern Nevada is best to buy land in?  I am trying to stay half an hour or so from cities with at least 4K, so that I have the services that I need.  Elko is a nice option because within about 20 miles of Elko, there are 38K or so people.  Are you saying that none of you life in Elko?  or maybe you are hiding in the woodwork....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:01:03 AM by pengyou »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:41 AM »
We're scattered across the entire country, but there are a good number in the greater Reno area.  I can't say for sure that we have any members in the Elko area.

One's actual, specific location is generally considered a privacy and security issue.  Many of us have stockpiles of food and gear which would be an inviting target in a post-EOTW scenario...  Hence the general "Northern Nevada" location in the name and most of us are non-specific, online, about where we live.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:56 AM »
I have never quite understood why Reno area, and much of the area southwest of Winnemucca is considered Northern Nevada, but it has been that way since I came out here in 1992.

There are at least three preppers of which I am aware in and around Elko. I will not break their opsec, but there are some in the area. Plus one that had a nice place, but died a few years ago. A big loss to the prepping community. He was one of the authors that helped get prepper fiction going well.

Basically, anywhere slightly south of, and several miles north of the I-80 corridor from about Wells to almost to Reno, and areas north of Reno,I believe has suitable places for prepper homesteads. The further north, and the higher up, of course, means colder winters and usually more snow. But as long as one keeps that in mind when laying out a homestead, then it is quite doable.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline pengyou

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »
Thanks!  And the further north, the further away from population centers....is water easier/cheaper to find in the north?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions