Home Page

Preparing For Air Travel

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Preparing For Air Travel
« on: December 10, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
We asked the question, "How do you prepare for the possibility of being stranded in the terminal or on the runway when you travel?"
Here's your link:  http://www.nnpg.net/120915_radio.shtml
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Preparing For Air Travel
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:51:05 PM »
Thanks Ken.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Preparing For Air Travel
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:21:55 AM »
I did experience this, some years before I started prepping... Needless to say, I was not ready.

It was a short delay in my international flight, but I spent that two nights in the Chicago terminal (before Chicago went bankrupt). and I did have access to the food services of the terminal.

I did sleep on the chairs and it was summer, so I was not cold.  Had it been winter, I was certainly not ready for the weather.  I would now include at least one warm sweater and a raincoat.

I am willing to avoid air travel now, but if you must, then do check the international and domestic situation before you board.  Not all possible events can be predicted, but I would not be flying in or out of some countries today.  Even withing the US, there are places, these days, to avoid (Chicago being one of them...)

Were I forced to fly today, I would have my Get Home Bag as carry-on.  There are obviously some items which would have to be eliminated from the GHB for air travel, but you can obtain a list of "banned" items from your air carrier, before you book a flight. 

There a some "sharps" which may pass airport screening, particularly if they are non-metallic and small.  Firearms are obviously not suitable, so the best I could recommend is to have them shipped ground freight sometime before you expect to arrive.  International travel makes firearms all but impossible to consider.

Carry enough food items, in readily recognizable forms.  Dried or powdered foods are going to raise red flags with screeners, so stick with fresh foods.

Don't plan on having access to access to airport food facilities, since these will be emptied in a general crisis situation.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.