Home Page

Article - Plants which require Bees to pollinate

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - Plants which require Bees to pollinate
« on: June 14, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
Disclaimer, you can do this (pollinate flowers) by hand, but it is a time consuming job and you can't do it as well as the bees.  I highly recommend that you hire local bees because the imported bees won't stick around to finish the season and the local bee unions insure their crews with their very lives. ;D

http://www.offthegridnews.com/survival-gardening-2/17-vegetables-in-your-garden-that-require-bee-pollination/

The list of plants is:

"...
 These 17 vegetables are: broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, collards, cucumbers, eggplant, kale, lettuce, muskmelon, mustard, okra, parsley, peppers, pumpkins, rutabaga, squash and watermelon."

I am currently growing sweet peppers in my window sill and have successfully pollinated the flowers.  I use a small paint brush with soft bristles.

DO research and find out whether your BOL has a native bee population.  If not, you will probably benefit from having your own bee hives.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:37:59 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Article - Plants which require Bees to pollinate
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »
Pepper plants are same-flower pollinating so the pollen only needs to travel within a single flower to self-pollinate and the transfer of pollen between flowers is not necessary.
We have grown peppers and tomatoes  in the greenhouse by having an old oscillating fan blow on them. Shaking they everyday will work too.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions