Home Page

(upd 4/14/17) Preppers talk about what they plan in case of war.

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
I think this is a multi-part article.  I will update.

Part 1)  http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/is-world-war-3-coming-18-preppers-discuss-effects-shortages-and-how-to-get-ready-04102017

Part 2)  http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/how-to-survive-world-war-3-prepping-for-an-off-shore-conflict-04142017

Quoted from the article:

"In the first installment, I’ll share some insights garnered from the readers. Next time around, we’ll discuss the preparations you need to begin making right away."

Part 2 discusses a war scenario where the conflict is outside of the continental United States.  It gives advice on action to take now, before any such conflict and possible effects we might expect here, inside the country.

I note that this has happened before; WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam.  My opinion is that we can expect somewhat different results from a large scale conflict.  Some of these are addressed in the article.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:59:33 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Clay

Re: Preppers talk about what they plan in case of war.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:51:21 PM »
That's a good one. I read it just before coming over here.

How would you answer those same questions?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »
The questions were:

If World War 3 were to break out, how do you believe it would affect the average American?
What challenges do you think we would face here at home?
What shortages do you predict would occur?
How would you prep for this?

To answer your question, Clay:

1)  "Average American" is vague, but I think a majority will panic, mostly those who are younger than 30 years old.  That will result in protests, riots and police actions in cities.  Those old enough to remember the Vietnam response will be better able to deal with a country changing to a war based economy.

2)  As in #1 above, plus expect that our money system will be shaken.  We are not, presently, able to go back to a full cash based money system, but barter will become more mainstream, where it is "allowed".

Additionally, our food production will be highly stressed, first by panic buying and then by poor logistics (food transport scheduling).  The present system ("just-in-time") is not able to handle a sudden increase in demand.  It will fall behind and there will be food shortages.  Not rationing, but simply the inability to get food from farm to store to meet demand.

3)  Food and Fuel shortage in the immediate start, followed by decreasing inventory of the tools and "things" which we take for granted... Think toilet paper shortage as an example.  New cars will (I expect) become more expensive and used cars more valuable.  With a fuel delivery slowdown, driving may become less of an option to travel.

4)  Keep doing the things we've been doing a preppers,  building stockpiles of food and tools, no longer practicing our skills but actually doing them (conserving food, water and electrical usage).  Learning to cook with as little energy use as possible, even if it means going to a local park to use their grills.

The major thing we personally will do (being apartment dwellers) is raising our area awareness.  The people living here will, for the most part, be panicked and unable to cope.   They will be easy prey for the less scrupulous people in the area.  That means higher crime and perhaps, a tightened police presence. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:16:31 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Clay

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »

If World War 3 were to break out, how do you believe it would affect the average American?
If  WW3 were to come to our shores it would effect us in ways that few people could truly understand. There are but a few immigrants who have lived through anything even remotely close to what this would be like. My guess is some would freak out, some would adapt, and some would simply give up. 

Logistics could become a nightmare, we've all read the stories about what happens when the trucks stop running. This is why we prep and what we should be prepping for.

Imports would dry up quickly. Made in America may be our only choice, but it would be few and far between. What wasn't sliced off for the war effort would be divided up amongst far too many. Over weight could quickly become a thing of the past.

Just the way we have been. Store foods and consumables, learn to feed yourself and learn to barter for things you don't have.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pqtb

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »

I believe we will see the draft back if WW3 starts.  Those protesting and causing problems may find themselves drafted into the military under far different rules then they are used to.  Most americans would have to adapt to not having overnight delivery of their wants and needs.  Business would go on with longer lag times for parts and goods manufactured over seas until US/North american industrial complex ramps up.

Depending on which countries are involved possible terror attacks and shortages of some items.  Unemployment would decrease and those on entitlement programs would be force to work for several reasons.  1 The government will not have the money to continue supporting them and need for labor to replace all the young adults called into the services. 

Luxury items like chocolate, and other comfort foods.  Fresh produce out of season will be come harder and more expensive  to get since large amounts are imported into the US.   Possible short term shortage of food, fuel and paper products until US ramps up production to meet the need.  Imported toys and cheap clothing will be in short supply as sea transports are shifted to supporting military operations.

Continue stocking manufactured goods that would be hard to get.  Increase food production and sustainability and diversify into multiple sources of protein.  One should be making contacts and locating local sources for items and services you need to survive.   If one has the resources alternative energy like solar and wind power would be a good investment. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clay

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
That's good! I momentarily forgot about the draft! Both men and women, definitely.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline ken_

Re: (upd 4/14/17) Preppers talk about what they plan in case of war.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:28 PM »
I'm more worried about a civil war than war with other countries.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

Re: (upd 4/14/17) Preppers talk about what they plan in case of war.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »
kdeboy,

Probably not a lot of difference between the two, as far as the effect on us and what kinds of preps we can make to address such a situation.

Plus, welcome to the forum.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions