Home Page

Computer Operating Systems For Preppers

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Computer Operating Systems For Preppers
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »
This is actually a product review.  It matters to preppers if you plan (as i do) to retain computer access post SHTF.

In case you haven't read my other posts RE Operating Systems (OS), let me state for the record that I am a Linux proponent and a Windows(r) opponent.

Rather than beating you up for not using my preferred OS, I'll give you some links to analyses and comparisons between the two software camps.

I would ask that you consider how well your current OS might serve in a post SHTF world.

Will you be able to manage your own computer software?

Will you be able to find support?

This will be, I hope, a continuing post which will get updated with my (biased) contributions as time passes.

Your contributions are invited, however I reserve the opportunity to disagree, politely. 8) ;D >:( :( :o ::) :-\

First, this article will show you how the different OS camps relate to each other (warning; some virtual blood may be shed).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/let-s-chat-windows-vs-linux-512842.shtml

I note that computer geeks (I are one) generally are not associated with the prepping mindset.  The two worlds seldom interact in public forum.  This thread will hopefully be the exception that rule.

Yes, I know most of us use computers and do our own installation, programing and design.

I would welcome suggestions on prepping our computing lives to survive TEOTWAWKI.  No matter what OS you may be using.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline owldancer

• Just a figment of the imagination!
Re: Computer Operating Systems For Preppers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
Operating Systems need hardware.  For something easy to store I think a raspberry pi makes a nice small computer that could go with you in a small space.
Preload all the software on a stick or small hard drive (size not storage), little keyboard, mouse and monitor and your ready to bug out.

And of course include all of Jerry's list and stories.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:43:42 AM by owldancer »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »
owldancer, nice to hear from you and welcome to the forum.

I agree, the raspberrry Pi (and other similar small form factor system) are a good choice.

The cost factor is also very attractive, making it possible to have multiple backup units.

Another factor is the low power needs, suitable to running on a small rechargeable battery system.  Even possible to run directly off a solar array without battery storage.

Of course we will include all Jerry's data.  I expect he has a data jack direct wired to his head.  It makes for faster downloads ;D .

Jerry: password "Prepper-1"
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »
You really do not want to plug into my head. Lots of prepper knowledge, but the rest of the stuff is kinda scary.

lol

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »
Jerry,  that's what the Prepper Firewall Mark II is designed for.  Wetware for the digitally enhanced... :o
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions