Home Page

Newer Rechargeable Cells

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Newer Rechargeable Cells
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »
First, I did not do this research...

You may be familiar with the "Eneloop" rechargeable cells made by Panasonic.

They have a new cell which, in some ways, is better and in some ways it is less useful

The one failure is the very great drop in number of recharge cycles (from 2100 to 500), which is a loss of over 75% in number of recharge cycles.

DO read this article and decide whether the benefits outweigh the loss.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/new-improved-eneloop-rechargeable-battery-aa-aaa/#more-47995

Let me point out that, in a LONG TERM SHTF situation, having many more charge cycles may be more important than higher storage capacity and longer shelf life.

In a short term situation, the added storage might be better.  The storage life (IMO) is less important if you are cycling your cells (you should be doing this) so they all age equally.

Remember these are small cells (AA and AAA sizes) which have most utility in flashlights and handheld mobile radios.  They are not really suitable for large energy draw devices.

It would be nice to see this technology extended to very large size cells and batteries, but I don't see it available at this time.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.