Home Page

Pemmican - Another recipe

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Pemmican - Another recipe
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
Yes, this is a repeat of other posts about pemmican.  Practice, Practice, Practice

https://besurvival.com/guides/the-ultimate-survival-food-pemmican-what-it-is-and-how-to-make-it

Pemmican is best made fresh and it can take a long time (8 - 10 hours) to process.  Expect this and remember that this food has a very long storage life.

You should be able to grind the meat into a fairly find powder.  If you lack an electric appliance to do this, then DO get a mortar and pestle for your prepping gear.

MY Advice:

I would avoid using fruit in this because it can shorten the storage life.  You can make dehydrated fruit, kept in separate containers and when you're ready to use the pemmican, rehydrate some of the fruit and mix with pemmican in whatever recipe you want to make.

If you want to make "survival food bars", add whatever fruits you want and plan on eating it sooner.

Yes, you can eat pemmican like a survival food bar, but you may not enjoy either the taste or texture.  Learn some recipes which can use pemmican as a protein and fat source but which add other texture and flavor.  Think Stews, Soups, Meat Pies, etc.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Re: Pemmican - Another recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »
If you use fruit, it needs to be as dry as the meat.

The meat needs to be dry to the point of breaking/splintering not bending.

You pretty much need to be able to grind them to at least coarse salt size (Kosher salt is a good example).

A friend of mine was big time into Mountain Man/Buck-skinning activities.

He made both - meat only and meat/fruit.  At 9 months (kept tightly wrapped in butcher paper, in a possibles bag, on the guest bedroom closet shelf - I.E. optimal storage) both were still good.

Different food - part of a batch of hard tack I made did no damage (stored in ziplock bags, on the guest bedroom shelf) after 9 years.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline 230gr

Re: Pemmican - Another recipe
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »
To make it last, you must use the hard fat found around the kidneys only, muscle and abdominal fat will not due and most of that you buy is actually a mix of inferior fats. High steric acid fat is hard and waxy looking.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions