Home Page

Essentials Of Prepping - Strategic Relocation

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Essentials Of Prepping - Strategic Relocation
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:20:34 AM »
Last night's session of the Northern Nevada Preppers Group Net has been posted.
Our topic, as we continue our Essentials Of Prepping series was Strategic Relocation.
Here's your link:   http://nnpg.net/122816_radio.shtml

Here's the chat room transcript.....

NNPG - The Northern Nevada Preppers Group Chat

7:45:39 PM
Ken K7KBJ joined the channel
7:55:26 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Tonight's topic is Strategic Relocation.
8:00:20 PM
N7SAX joined the channel
8:00:57 PM
Ken K7KBJ
8:01:14 PM
Kg7mzo joined the channel
8:01:55 PM
Kg7mzo
Checking in remotely from my phone tonight
8:02:00 PM
Ken K7KBJ
8:02:34 PM
TWP joined the channel
8:02:46 PM
TWP
HI Ken and SAX
Hi Glenda
8:03:19 PM
Kg7mzo
Good evening gentlemen
Ken - ivl
I got the email and your analysis was spot on
8:04:52 PM
Ken K7KBJ
8:06:24 PM
Kg7mzo
Ken - message from me to the net participants. Please tell them it's good to hear their voices. I miss you all bunches!!
8:07:35 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Ok, you got it !
Hi everyone!
It's kinda hard to type and net control at the same time :-)
8:08:20 PM
Kg7mzo
Try chatting on a smartphone
8:08:36 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Right?
8:08:40 PM
Kg7mzo
But I feel your pain
8:08:42 PM
Ken K7KBJ
My fingers are too big
HAHAHAHA
8:09:20 PM
TWP
You could be keying Morse code....
8:10:30 PM
Kg7mzo
It really comes down to the multi tasking when your net control. You're juggling many hats and only have so many hands
8:12:09 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi TWP
8:12:35 PM
TWP
Got it. thanks
8:12:44 PM
N7SAX
Hi
8:13:10 PM
TWP
SAX, where are you located? roughly?
8:13:16 PM
Kg7mzo
Good tip from K7KLM
8:13:25 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Hi SAX
8:19:02 PM
N7SAX
nw reno
8:19:28 PM
TWP
Ok we're in SW Reno
8:19:54 PM
Kg7mzo
My thoughts,on strategic relocation is more like a preemptive permanent move. It's about deciding that the current location is no longer ideal and the choice is made to relocate. As I have contemplated the idea of leaving the Northern Nevada permanently, what would I be looking for in a new location to call home.
8:21:13 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Glenda, do you want me to read that question on the net?
8:21:18 PM
Kg7mzo
Climate, geography, social demographics of the areas in consideration, economy, proximity to family
Feel free to add my comments to the net for conversation
8:21:53 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Ok
8:23:21 PM
Kg7mzo
I don't interpret strategic relocation as a bug out situation
8:23:53 PM
TWP
Glenda. strategic is the key. Similar plans with different destinations. If we have time, (plan A) then a slow, coordinated move is best, If we don't have time (plan B) then we grab and run.
8:25:33 PM
N7SAX
Strategic relocation- It is difficult to find a location in Northern Nevada that has Cover (trees & water )
8:25:58 PM
Kg7mzo
Exactly.
Sustainablity would also be a factor to choosing a permanent location
8:27:03 PM
N7SAX
water and cover
8:27:09 PM
TWP
SAX. mostly western Nevada in the Sierra's, for trees and water
8:27:30 PM
N7SAX
???
8:28:10 PM
Ken K7KBJ
The Ruby Mountains area is really nice !
8:28:15 PM
N7SAX
with regard to bug out, inherent in such is hiding
you can't hide without Cover - taller trees
8:28:48 PM
TWP
Ken, I've never been to the Ruby's but the pictures look very good.
8:29:20 PM
Kg7mzo
An great example of strategic relocation, think of living in an area that has become over run by high crime, jobs have evaporated. Due to the economy and crime, strategic relocation would be appropriate
8:29:27 PM
N7SAX
Cover & Trees is where it's at
8:29:37 PM
TWP
That the advantage of the forests of western Nevada, along the Cal. boarder
8:29:52 PM
N7SAX
and we don't have that in our state generally
8:30:11 PM
Kg7mzo left the channel (timeout)
8:30:20 PM
N7SAX
Yes TWP
8:30:22 PM
TWP
SAX, true for most of the state.
8:30:53 PM
N7SAX
Location, location, location...
I'm ready to purchase a property with cover & water
8:31:36 PM
TWP
I have some bridges in Arizona for sale...
No cover
8:31:59 PM
N7SAX
exactly
Thanks Ken - Good Net
8:33:10 PM
TWP
I started "prepping" when I learned about the "Northern Redoubt". It still looks good.
8:33:13 PM
Kg7mzo joined the channel
8:33:39 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Good night all !
8:33:44 PM
TWP
we missed you Glenda...
8:33:47 PM
Kg7mzo
Sorry guys, having connectivity issues
8:33:56 PM
N7SAX
good night
8:34:12 PM
TWP
night all, thanks Ken
8:34:16 PM
Ken K7KBJ
Thanks for being with us tonight, Glenda
My pleasure, TWP
8:34:38 PM
Kg7mzo
That's a wrap. Have a good evening gentlemen

Administrators

Ken K7KBJ

Users

N7SAX
    TWP
    Kg7mzo

Powered by The Desire To Be Self ReliantHome
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:23:26 AM by Ken K7KBJ »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Essentials Of Prepping - Strategic Relocation
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 08:05:52 PM »
Thank you Ken.

Here are some additional thoughts to what I stated during the net meeting. This applies to a major strategic relocation just before, duing or at some point after a major disaster that affects a large area, or most, if not all of the nation. There were some other great interpretations as to what Strategic Relcoation can mean, this is just one. My INCH ideas.

I am not listing the actual kit components for the most part. Anyone interested in those please contact me and Iwill send them to you.

INCH Kit

An INCH Kit (I’m Not Coming Home Kit), to me, is a kit that supplements your Bug-out Bag, Camping Kit, and EWLS Kit. Bug-out bags have been covered extensively, and most people have their own preferences for camping. The Extended Wilderness Living System kit is basically a much enhanced field survival kit to extend the time one can live in the wilderness in more comfort and with the means to obtain and process wild foods. There are several posts on the EWLS on the boards, too.

INCH Kits have been oft mentioned, but many, if not most, of them are more EWLS kits than true INCH kits in my mind. To me the INCH kit is a starting over kit for when you must leave your current situation and start up new somewhere else, with no real hope of going back to the original location.

To accomplish this, many more things must be taken, with different uses in mind, than just getting away and surviving for a relatively short set time of a month or even two. This is a permanent move.

A working vehicle, with large fuel reserves is the best way to carry an INCH kit. But as has been stated in many other posts, this might not be possible. Animal transport is an option for some, where a person can use the animals to carry the goods. If enough of the appropriate kinds of animals are available, you can ride, as well. But having the starting over materials is more important than comfortable travel.

If you do not have transport animals, then smaller wheeled vehicles other than cars and trucks are an option. Motorcycles and motorized bicycles can be used with a trailer. So can bicycles. And then there are a variety of hand pulled/pushed wagons and hand carts. These options will carry enough for some types of situations, depending on circumstances.

Lastly, there is simply the pack on your back. Which calls for a rather higher dependency on direct financial support due to the lack of materials with which to earn an income. More below on the subject.

Now, when starting over, if your current occupation is suitable for the PAW, then staying with that occupation is the way to go. If you have a job that has little application to survival in the PAW, then you will need to decide on one or more alternative means to provide for your immediate needs, as well as earning enough to obtain those things that you cannot produce yourself, and to provide for future needs.

Included at the end of this article are a list of trades and skills that might have a place in the PAW, plus tools for those skills and others that you might consider. Often any given one will not be enough to make it. You might need to have two or more things going to be able to produce enough income to get you by. Especially if you are not in a position to grow most of your own food, which is a distinct possibility in some situations, though it should be a part of your basic INCH plans.

As stated above, the more you can take with you, the more options you can have, and better ones. In any case, and more or less all cases, you should have documentation with you. Some of it you might have to ditch in some situations to avoid problems, but by having several copies, in various fixed locations, as well as those on you, you can still hopefully have what you need when you need it.

Important documents:

Important records should be kept in such a way as to be safe in case of fire, flood, earthquake and other disasters and to have available for quick access when needed such as a fire resistant documents case.

Keep originals in appropriate places w/copies and/or condensed versions in the various emergency kits including BOBs, BIBs, GHBs, GOOD bags, evacuation kits, hurricane kits, etc.

It is also good to keep a set of copies off-site so they can be retrieved even if you have to leave without anything. If you have in mind one or more INCH relocation points, try to store a set at each one of them. But do carry a set or two with you.

Automotive paperwork: registration, title, insurance card, tire warranties, repair warranties, etc.
Business records: Company ID, business license, bylaws, emergency plan, employee contact list, contracts, supplier info, customer info, incorporation records, partnership records, accounts receivable, accounts payable

Computer records: online accounts, passwords, web/blog host info, etc.

Employment records: Company ID, employee handbook w/emergency plan, pay stub

Family contacts: name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail, code word for proof of identity

Financial records: checking account info, savings account info, bankruptcy decree, credit card info, loan info, utilities info, location of safety deposit boxes, stocks/bonds/brokerage account information

Future death information: will, funeral arrangements, cemetery plots

Household records: Deed, mortgage, appraisals & inventory of home & contents, warranties, home layout drawing

ID: Driver’s license, passport, state ID card, naturalization certificate, permanent resident card, birth certificates, adoption records, current photos, physical descriptions (including identifying features)

Insurance records: Auto, home, health, life, disability, insurance cards, Medicare/Medicaid card, any other insurance cards

Legal records: marriage certificate, prenups, executor of estate, divorce decree, powers of attorney, death certificates, criminal history, final disposition of any civil/criminal court cases, trust documents, military discharge (DD214),

Medical records: Medical Power of Attorney, Doctors’ info, Dentists’ info, living will, allergies, prescriptions, current illnesses/problems, past major medical history

Professional advisor’s info: Insurance agents, accountant, lawyers, doctor(s), dentist

Professional & Miscellaneous licenses and records: Doctor licenses, other profession licenses, concealed weapons license, Amateur Radio Operator license, Press credentials, Investigator credentials, etc.

Religious records: Christening, baptismal, confirmation,

Retirement account information (401k, 403b, social security statement, IRA, pension plans, etc.)

School records: high school diploma, college diploma, college degrees, trade school diplomas

Tax records: Social Security Card, personal tax records for 5 years, business tax records for 5 years, property tax info

Depending on the situation, ‘civilization’ might make some kind of comeback, or not be completely destroyed in the first place. It is very important to be able to prove various aspects of your life if either of these situations occur. Have that documentation.

With documents carefully stowed, hopefully you will find yourself travelling mostly alone, with no assistance, and little interference. In this case, a full INCH kit, with a minimum of a cart or bicycle with trailer, should allow you to start over in a self-sufficient method with the basics such as hunting, gardening, shelter building, etc. You would be able to stop anywhere there is arable land, put up a shelter, hunt or otherwise acquire meat, start up a business, and go from there. Besides the appropriate skills, tools, and finances, you will need all the paperwork you would normally need, including forms of ID, ownership papers, licenses and permits, insurance info, financial records, 'paper' assets, etc. Finances may or may not be extremely important, though you do always want some form of 'money', plus you can have trade/barter goods.

If you cannot do a full self-sufficient INCH kit, things change, but are not hopeless. Though many will consider you a refugee, you will not be a true refugee, since you have a destination in mind, and the means to take care of yourself.

A full INCH kit might be impractical due to location, the authorities are confiscating everything, there are lots of people and your gear is likely to be taken, you have to travel set routes where a heavy cart is not practical, you will have the opportunity (or requirement) to travel on transports that will not be able to take large amounts of gear. In this case, you will need to travel light, and be as 'gray' as possible to blend in with everyone else. In order to start over, it will take monetary value, since you will not have the means to do things with your own gear, equipment and other resources. So 'money', and other lightweight, concealable valuables that can be easily converted into acceptable forms of payment will need to be carried. So will the same paperwork as stated.

To make this as easy and secure as possible, some specially made or modified clothing can be used to carry these valuables clandestinely. Hidden pockets to carry items, or having some of the items completely sewn in or constructed as part of the clothing and a small pack or bag. Anything of any size might not be allowed to be kept with you, or at all. So keep the carrier small. In some cases wearing all, or most of your clothing, in layers, is better than carrying them in a suitcase or such. If nothing else, have plenty of cordage so you can tie slings on clothing and parcels and carry them slung over a shoulder, or tied to a belt.

As part of the clothing, PMs can be incorporated in the design and construction. As a refugee, you are probably heading for 'civilization' where such things can be converted into spendable resources, unlike in a true PAW situation where converting raw materials could be a real problem. At the refugee destinations there will most likely be people eager to take valuables off your hands. Some will give real value, others will try to lowball you, but that is the case now, anyway. You just need to learn some trade and barter skills now, so you can get the value of the items that is reasonable. Just remember that what you paid in current FRNs now for that item has no bearing on what that item will be worth in disaster refugee situations.

Things like (14 carat minimum gold/sterling silver minimum) real gold or silver buttons, collar stays, belt buckles, purse hardware, and such, plus ring/bracelets/necklaces with or without real gold coins; watches, business card cases, pens, key chains, and all sorts of items that most will take to be costume jewelry or just gold toned. They will need to be carried concealed, for the most part, with one or two items such as an extra wedding ring or a gold chain necklace worn openly. I would do only some jewelry, with much of the value in simple gold and silver items that the value can be strictly the bullion value, with little value in the design of the piece where there will be a major difference of opinion of what that value is. Much better to have 500 dollars in gold bullion value in a five hundred fifty dollar item than 200 dollars of gold value in a 500 dollar necklace. You will only get the 200 dollars for the gold, if that.

Gold and silver coins, and any investment grade gems you might acquire, should be kept carefully hidden for use in extreme circumstances. The other items are to be converted to whatever is the local currency, whereas the coins can be used as actual currency, most likely. Everything of valuable should be spread out over the body, in the clothing, among any bags, and across the group if you are part of a group.

In terms of non-financial items, the second, and possibly third set of clothing already mentioned should be carried. At the very least several pairs of socks and two or three sets of underwear should be kept on your person. Some personal sanitation items, including small containers of cleansers for yourself, your clothes, and your eating instruments should be on you. And do take your own eating tools, at least a tablespoon size spoon. Fork should be okay. A table knife might or not make it. A sharp knife if at all possible. A multi-tool and/or large Swiss Army knife could take the place of table knife and fill several other functions, too. Carry a folding handle stainless steel cup at least 12 ounces, up to 24 ounces, with 16-18 ounces probably the best. Can be used for drinking or eating.

Have two or three bandanas, for use as handkerchiefs, dust masks, first-aid uses, water filtration, hair band, and all the other hundred or so uses bandanas have. A wide brimmed hat and inexpensive but UVA/UVB sunglasses can be important in some situations. So can gloves. Socks have already been mentioned. If you do not have gloves, having lots of warm socks means you can use a pair or two as mittens, if needed. You want good, but worn in, low hiking boots. Sneakers may sound good, but you might have to traverse some rough ground where sneakers will not hold up. And you sure do not want expensive looking, not even fake, ‘collector’ type footwear.

Make sure none of the items make you stand out. You do not want gold or silver flashing, you do not want bright orange beanie, colorful clothing, expensive looking clothing (even if it is expensive due to its construction or materials, you do not want it to look that way).  The same goes for handbags, packs, and such. A really good leather jacket, that is not too adorned, would be the high limit of something that might look valuable or coveted.

Have a good water bottle. Normally I would recommend a large Stainless steel water bottle, but you might have trouble hanging on to it. Better as a refugee to have several small plastic water bottles that you can stash in your gear so you never look like you have a lot of water. Might have one uninsulated SS bottle to heat up water for warmth or to purify water. Or the folding handle stainless steel cup can be used for that.

The same goes for food. Small individually wrapped portions are better than large packages of food. Try to eat and drink privately, if at all possible. And never eat or drink very much at a time, unless your times are very limited by circumstances or the authorities.

When traveling, and usually when making stops, try to stay with a group of people. But stay near the edge of the group so you can break away if needed. But you do not want to be a lone target under most circumstances. If you are travelling with family or a cohesive group, have at least one person travel separately, but close enough to help from the outside if needed. There should be no contact between anyone in the group and the person, except for the same type of casual, minimal contact one would have between all refugees.

Once you get to a place where you can safely separate from the refugee group and set up your own operation, convert a portion of your assets to usable currency and start getting some type of homestead started, if possible. If not, arrange for a place to live; start a viable business or get a job to get an income stream started. Then you can decide what you want to do permanently.

That pretty much covers the very minimum of an INCH kit/Starting Over kit. Now the more advanced kit elements.

The first is a good BOB. I will not go into this in this article, since there are literally hundreds of posts on the subject. You are going to need this to provide some additional equipment and supplies above the very basics you would carry as a not quite refugee. There is a good chance you can take this with you under many circumstances, if you can carry it on your back. If you need a cart or better to carry enough for 3 days to 2 weeks, you still need a 5 pound to 10 pound pack with at least a few more items than what you carry in your clothes and pockets and on your belt/in your purse.

The rest of the kit is extensive. If anyone would like more details, please just contact me and I will send them.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)