Home Page

Wind flow patterns, Live, world wide

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Wind flow patterns, Live, world wide
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:36:45 PM »
Look at wind patterns around the world

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-124.88,39.29,3000/loc=-120.012,39.131

This map is interactive,  I have pointed it at the approximate location or Reno

Scroll wheel will zoom in/out but not beyond a certain range.
left click to select a point
Drag to center selection

NOTE: TODAY, Wind patterns feed from central California, directly over the mountains to our location.  We will get whatever the California Bay Area gets.

NOTE: The jet stream will change, drastically over the year, be aware that this is a REAL TIME MAP, so check back daily to see larger scale patterns.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Wind flow patterns, Live, world wide
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 08:40:28 AM »
Good find, TWP.

It is important to keep an eye on the general trends, as well as daily observations of the Jet Stream location and heading.

But I would suggest you zoom in as much as you can on ones' specific location and watch the local (micro-climate) winds. If you do, I think you will notice just how variable they can be. Even on the closest scale I could get on this map, the shifting of the directional lines was noticeable. Not trying to say they totally reverse back and forth constantly, but they do wander a bit. This factor can affect how one sets up wind power systems, as well as how weather can affect a given area. What might look like a great alignment for a windbreak might not be quite as good as expected.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »
Jerry, you're correct about the need for a more detailed look, on a smaller scale that is available with this link.

Since the winds do change by season, you would need to look at the prevailing winds over the entire year, based on many years of observation.  The trees in the area (if they exist) give good clue as to the prevailing direction.

I'll keep looking for wind maps with more range on the zoom.  I have seen some for this area, but can't find them immediately.  I'll post if/when I find them.

As for the original link, it helps to see what is coming at us from long range (Japan, Fukushima, China, etc. ).

I note that the jet stream, which effects winds at ground level, will be swinging down towards us in the winter season, which brings colder air and moisture from the ocean.  It can be a better predictor than the broadcast media forecastors...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline TWP

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 10:06:14 AM »
This is an advisory for using the link for world surface wind direction.

The directions, in degrees, ARE NOT COMPASS direction.

Compass direction, in degrees, uses DUE NORTH AS ZERO DEGREES and increases in a CLOCKWISE fashion

North - 0 Deg
East - 90 Deg (Spinward)
South - 180 Deg
West - 270 Deg (Anti-Spinward)

The wind map HERE uses directions which are rotated 180 degrees from Compass direction.
( I don't now why, perhaps someone can explain this?)

North - 180 Deg
East - 270 Deg (Spinward)
South - 0 Deg
West - 90 Deg (Anti-Spinward)

Just be aware of this if you try to give directions in DEGREES from the linked wind map.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 11:15:23 AM »
I am pretty sure winds have always been given as the direction from which they come, not the direction they are going.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »
Thanks Jerry, that would explain the indicated wind direction in the map.

Counter-intuitive, but makes some sense.

Disclaimer, I am not a sailor...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »
Looking at the wind map:  current time is 2:26pm 10/15/16.  The map is Real Time, so it will change...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-124.22,40.61,1821/loc=-119.843,39.239

Please note the cyclonic wind pattern that is moving closer to the northwest corner of Washington...

We are also experiencing higher winds locally as a direct result of the pattern shown on the map.

Northern California is now getting high winds and this may (I am not a meteorologist) move farther south and push our weather system.

Thus endeth another lesson on weather procrastination and tea-leaf reading.  Keep your eyes open, please.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 06:50:45 PM »
Looking at the surface wind map (see the original post).

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-124.22,40.61,1821/loc=-119.843,39.239

Today, 10/27/16, there is a large flow coming down from Alaska.  It is colliding with a southwind and is being pushed onshore along the Washington and Oregon coast.  We are getting a little bit of the moisture (rain) today from that southern wind and if the flow continues to move Eastward, we could see more...

You may want to zoom out on the chart to see the larger pattern.

Since there are two large masses of air, moving in opposite directions, the air, and the moisture it contains, has only one direction to go, UP.  That means that it could be carried over the Cascade Range into our back yards.

Fair warning, I am not a meteorologist and I make no pretense that my guess will come to pass, but do keep an eye on the weather.  We are entering Fall and change "is in the air" No Pun Intended.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions