Home Page

Hopi Pale Gray

Offline 230gr

Hopi Pale Gray
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:19:07 PM »
My last Hopi squash finally started to go bad some 15 months after being harvested and sitting in a corner of my basement. They are a good tasting squash that becomes quite sweet especially after a few months of storage when the turn a pale yellow. Although these originated in the south west, I got my seed from a northern Minnesota grower so they are a very adaptable cultivator. Since I save seed from 2 other squash species, I wanted a maxima that does not cross with them when grown the same year.   

Hopi Pale Grey (C. maxima)

Hopi Pale Gray is an old Indian variety that has pale gray, very hard rind and sweet, dry, orange flesh in a 7 to 20 lb fruit that matures in 100 days. The vigorous, rampant vines with a 2.5 ft height and 15 ft spread. Sandy Loam to Clay Loam, with a pH 6 to 7.5, in an area with full sun, is preferred. The soil should be loosened to 12“, mixed with 2“of mature compost and some balanced, organic fertilizer, then water well. Lay a 3” layer of mulch to maintain soil moisture. When soil reaches 65 F or preferably higher, plant six seeds to a hill, 1“deep, in 4’ x  4’ spaced hills or on garden’s edge. After seeds germinate (about 10 days), thin seedlings to three per hill.

The fruits are ripe when you cannot easily pierce the rind with your fingernail which is important as immature fruits do not store well. Unless freezing weather threaten them, allow fruits to ripen until the vines begin to die back. Expect to harvest three to five squash per plant. Cut fruits from the vine leaving 1 inch of stem attached and cure for two weeks at 70 to 80oF. Store the cured squash in a cool, dry place, such as your basement, and every month checks for signs of spoilage. Hopi Pale Grey squash store under normal conditions for over 2 years.   
   Save seeds from fully matured fruit of at least 6 different plants by simply rinsing, drying and storing the biggest, the plumpest seeds. If stored in a cool, dry place, winter squash seeds remain viable for up to six years.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions