Home Page

Culling Your Flock

Offline 230gr

Culling Your Flock
« on: January 28, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »

I wanted my original title to be “Feeling up Amish Chicks” but my wife failed to appreciate the humor in that. I was able to get some excellent Rhode Island chicks from Amish breeding stock and they were so healthy and vigorous that I ended up with considerably more chickens than I care to winter over and I needed to do some culling. Choose to retain only the best birds for your flock requires knowing what to look or feel for.

Culling Your Flock
   This is a side by side comparison that applies best to the same age, breed and sex of chickens. You need to feel the body under the feathers for:
•   heart girth (rib cage width just behind the wings) where wider means more lung and heart space and the best meat potential.
•   width of the back along it’s length- indicates means more digestive organ space so the wider the more meat especially if wide between the thighs
•   width behind the thighs- single best indicator of egg producing potential; it should be wide and not taper
•   fleshing on the breast- indicates amount of meat potential; also general condition and heartiness
•   pelvic bone spread- for a laying hen and varies somewhat with the size egg they lay; 3 or four figures width indicate a good daily layer
•   her vent should also be large and moist
•   pelvic to keel distance- for a laying hen 3 fingers or less are not good layers while 4 fingers or more are good layers
•   the abdomen should be expanded, large, soft and pliable
•   observation of laying time- the very best laying hens tend to lay before 10 am; these are your best breeders so gather their eggs for hatching.

Note: I recommend that you refrain from remarks about choosing a wife this way too as women fail to see the humor in it (take my word for it!).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Culling Your Flock
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:07:39 PM »
Thanks for the chicken tips and nothing more will be said. :-X
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.