Home Page

EMP, everything you need to know about them

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
EMP, everything you need to know about them
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:41:20 PM »
This article is long, but give a very good layman's description of the effects of the various EMP problems.

Let me point out an EMP (ElectroMagnetic Pulse) can have several sources, some natural (the sun and earth weather) and some man-caused (nuclear and non-nuclear explosive devices).

I have a background in teaching Chemistry and Physics and I see a LOT of mis-information about EMP in the print and online media.  This article is reasonable accurate in what it says although I cannot vouch for the truth of some of the many links contained in the article.  Due diligence is your responsibility.  Still a good read for those who care about this threat.

My opinion on preps for EMP:

I think having a "Faraday Cage" for your electronics is a VERY good idea, but they only work if your electronics is INSIDE the cage at the time of the EMP.   That implies some discipline on your part to put electronics in the cage between uses and having backup electronics always in cages while you use the primary.  That means radios, cell phones and computers.  If you have a generator in your home system.  it "could" be built into a large Faraday Cage, but the wires leading to your home would still be at risk.

NO- wrapping your electronics in aluminum foil is NOT sufficient...

Finally, your incoming power lines need to have surge protection installed which is designed to resist EMP power levels. That is a topic for another whole article, but it is critical to protecting your electronics (and you) while they are being used.

http://www.futurescience.com/emp.html

I quote from the article (emphasis is theirs):

"Nuclear EMP is actually an electromagnetic multi-pulse.   The EMP is usually described in terms of 3 components.   The E1 pulse is a very fast pulse that can induce very high voltages in equipment and along electrical wiring and cables.  E1 is the component that destroys computers and communications equipment and is too fast for ordinary lightning protectors (although devices that are fast enough are routinely being produced, but are rarely used in the civilian infrastructure).  The E2 component of the pulse is the easiest to protect against, and has similarities in strength and timing to the electrical pulses produced by lightning." "The E3 pulse is very different from the E1 and E2 pulses from an EMP.  The E3 component of the pulse is a very slow pulse, so slow that most people would not use the word "pulse" to describe it.  The E3 component lasts tens to hundreds of seconds, and is caused by the nuclear detonation heaving the Earth's magnetic field out of the way, followed by the restoration of the magnetic field to its natural place.  The E3 component has similarities to a geomagnetic storm caused by a very severe solar storm."
"In writings on the Internet, there is nearly always much confusion about the very different aspects of the various components of nuclear EMP.   In addition, there is much confusion in distinguishing high-altitude nuclear EMP,  non-nuclear EMP weapons  and solar geomagnetic storms.   There are very large differences among these very different electromagnetic disturbances; although there are many similarities linking solar-caused geomagnetic storms and the E3 component (but not the other components) of high-altitude nuclear EMP.   Nearly everything written in popular articles, even in the most respectable publications, jumbles up a nearly incomprehensible mix of information confusing the effects of the E1 and E3 components of electromagnetic pulse.   This has been largely responsible for the large number of widely-believed EMP Myths."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:22:01 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline David-Audrey

• ...Because change is inevitable!
Re: EMP, everything you need to know about them
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »
Everyone Preps for their very personal beliefs and situations.  And that's as it should be. 

I've been in a town that was hit by a Tornado.  I've been within 4 miles of the eye of a Category 5 Typhoon.  I've been in a building that caught fire (and burned for 5 days).  I've seen the power of 50 foot waves.  I have not seen war, but my father and brother did and can attest to the evil man can bestow on man.

My point is that, FOR ME, I'm not sure what will happen, but am not going to rule out any reasonably possible events and am going to be as prepared as I can be.  As for EMP's (and CME's), some don't believe a large CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) would have much of an impact on us.  I believe this is because an event of the magnitude that would cause us serious trouble is such a rare event...and the fact that there are LOTS of solar flares and they don't cause any serious damage.  That said...NASA sees it as a real threat.  They believe there is a 12% chance we will get a MASSIVE CME in the next 10 years.  I got the following from a NASA site.

Solar Flares/CME’s
"In February 2014, physicist Pete Riley of Predictive Science Inc. published a paper in Space Weather entitled "On the probability of occurrence of extreme space weather events."  In it, he analyzed records of solar storms going back 50+ years.  By extrapolating the frequency of ordinary storms to the extreme, he calculated the odds that a Carrington-class storm would hit Earth in the next ten years.

The answer: 12%.

Source: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

THE 12% DOES NOT CONSIDER:
•   NUCULAR WAR
•   TERRORIST ATTACKS AGAINST GRID
•   OTHER CELESTRIAL AND MAN-MADE EVENTS

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:17:02 AM »
Thanks for the information.  Along with that significant probability factor is the fact that our (US and world) power infrastructure; cables, generators and computer control systems, is not protected from an EMP.   I read about "government" and business discussions on how much it would cost, how long it would take to implement etc, but nothing about actually changing the power distribution system.  The phrase "whistling in the dark" comes to mind.  I am not optimistic that this vulnerability will be addressed in time.

It falls on us, as preppers, to act for our own selves and families.  We can preserve a small, local electrical capability.  The rest of the world may very well collapse into 18th century conditions, but we can keep some technology alive.

This would be important if, for instance, someone you know needs medical equipment which runs on electricity (defibrillator, kidney dialysis machine, ventilator etc).  We can also preserve communication equipment in the form of HAM equipment.  I have no hope for the cellular phone system, but I can live without that.

Paranoia can be your friend, if an EMP happens near you, which means pretty much anywhere on the Earth.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline David-Audrey

• ...Because change is inevitable!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »
This is a two part article relating to EMP, prepping and what to have in the way of emp-proof tools.

I will post the link to the second part when it become available.

http://www.shtfplan.com/green-berets-guides/a-green-berets-guide-to-emp-practical-steps-to-prepare-for-a-lights-out-scenario-part-1_05072015

Please look at the document list at the bottom of this article.  These are free downloads and might be a good addition to your prepping bookshelf...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:42:22 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 08:53:31 PM »
May 2015 estimate and forecast of the North Korean strategic ballistic missile program.  Worth reading for those trying to forecast when the DPRK might be capable of launching an effective nuclear strike against the United States.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions