Home Page

Some of my thoughts on women's special needs

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Some of my thoughts on women's special needs
« on: August 19, 2021, 04:07:49 PM »

I am posting a couple of articles here, as well as adding the .pdf attachment due to the problems of the sight with converting .doc documents to text inside the posting boxes.

I would greatly appreciate any additional information, suggestions, corrections, and anything else about these subjects. From anyone, but especially the group the article references, women. Please give your thoughts, as well as making suggestions on how I might improve the article. Do be aware that the text in this box is not how the article looks in the .pdf file.

Everything is:

Just my opinion.

Women’s specialized needs:

Women, at least many of the ones I know, are entirely capable of roughing it if needed. Putting up with severe hardships. They are every bit the equal of males in general, and male preppers, if they are a prepper.

Despite the amount of work and responsibility that will be required of everyone in a major disaster situation, especially one that gets us into a PAW (Post Apocalyptic World) situation, women, no matter how capable, will often be tasked with some of the traditional roles they have filled since humans became human.

Namely child care, cooking and cleaning, laundry, and that myriad list of things that women have done throughout history. Even a well-prepared woman, with a long list of skills, will often take on these responsibilities voluntarily or will be asked to take them on by members of a group. I will not debate the rightness or wrongness of this, but just be aware that it can and has happened in disaster situations.

Unfortunately, these duties are often required to be carried out in addition to, not instead of, all the other things all preppers have to do. This is not to say that men and boys do not have similar situations. They do. Expected to be the primary protector, provider, physical work person, and staunch role model for the family.

However, the reality that women do have some needs that men do not, and when they cannot be met with modern options under normal conditions, without other options, women will be miserable at times, up to and past the point of where they are not only not able to function effectively, but can become a patient needing special care.

Again, the women I grew up with, and many of those I have met over the intervening years, are as strong or stronger in many ways that I was/am. That still does not negate the fact that they are women, with women’s needs that men do not require.

So, with this in mind, I believe that there are many things that can be done when setting up a person’s preps that will not only make things easier on women that are already carrying a tremendous burden of responsibility, but in doing so will make things far easier for everyone, since the person with so many responsibilities will be able to carry those out with fewer problems, including mental and psychological ones.

I have brought this subject up during meetings of a couple of groups I used to be involved with and was almost laughed out of the room by the men when I mentioned the importance of making sure the women of a family or group had the means to feel good about themselves by having some basic niceties in addition to the necessities.

And, unfortunately, it seemed that the women in the group were either too embarrassed to discuss some of the subjects in the presence of men, did not want to appear in anyway ‘less-than-equal’ to the men, or simply did not want to be around any controversy, and did not speak up. So, I let it go. I am more selective with whom I associate with now when it comes to prepping. And prep environment has changed significantly, with many more women being involved, in not only being supportive, by taking active roles.

They women are highly capable. Still, they do not want to be dragging around looking like an old hag (unless the situation calls for it), smelling foul, constantly dirty, and in general, a major mess, even if they are skilled.

Another factor is that when everyone is feeling as good about themselves as possible under the circumstances of the situation, things go much more smoothly, there is less dissention in the family/group, people are more willing to take on difficult tasks knowing they will be able to clean up and not have to wear the same stinking clothes they wore when gardening in thick mud, for instance.

All of these things affect a person’s stress level. The less stress one person has, the less stress those around the person have. And when interpersonal relationships in a family/group are strained due to stress, bad things tend to happen. So, things that are not all that expensive, all that difficult to accomplish, yet bring about a huge reduction in stress to not only the women of the group, but everyone.

I am not a big one for derogatory jokes, about anyone or any group, but behind some of the stupid jokes are a few kernels of truths that do exist. Girls approaching the changeover to being women have some of the highest stress levels around.

Even great parents can have a hard time explaining things and getting them ready for those changes, but helping them through the change until it becomes second nature.

So, pre-teen and early teen girls will need to be considered and plans and supplies put into place to make this transition during a disaster situation as easy on them as possible. This is especially true when there is a high likelihood that no adult female will be around at the time to help the girl. Having a male talk the girl through everything is not ideal, believe me.

Of course, newborns and infants need special consideration. I believe most people understand that almost instinctively. As infants transition to being a toddler, they need some things, and by having some other things not absolutely necessary, the transition is easier on them and everyone around them.

Toddlers become small children, and then school age children, pre-teens, teens, and then young adults with the ability to take on more and more responsibilities and understand the need to do so and the benefits of doing so.

Each stage requires a few necessities as well as a few niceties that make life more bearable for them, which makes life far more bearable for everyone around them. I have never been a parent, so my experience is limited to some extended times spent with nieces, nephews, and young cousins; along with growing up with the strong female influences of my mother and two sisters.

Given that limited direct experience I urge everyone to do their own due diligence research into these subjects. And ask that women and older teen girls offer their thoughts and opinions when the subjects come up during prepping planning sessions. And guys, make it as easy on those who will benefit the most in having the discussions so the best plans can be made and the right gear and supplies can be obtained, by purchase or DIY. Believe me, you guys will benefit greatly, as well.

I suggest that anyone reading this look up the Amateur Radio Prepper’s Net archive with a recording of a net session that was mostly about this subject. There is a tremendous amount of information there, as well.

On to the list(s) (You knew one was coming, did you not?):

Feminine needs for long term disasters

1) P-Style/Go-Girl/Lady-J female urine diverter(s) for outdoor use if indoor access is limited (even indoor use under cold conditions, lack of sanitation)
      2) Hygiene needs: Packaged/ reusable sanitary napkins/ Diva Cup/ natural sponges/ cleansing wipes/ etc.
      3) UTI notes: Many women that have had a UTI can often feel one coming on. If a woman does start the treatment as soon as possible for it to be most effective most quickly.
      4) UTI products:
            a. Test strips (for checking for a UTI if you suspect one)
            b. Pyridium
            c. Powdered cranberry juice or pills (can be taken daily to help prevent UTIs)
            d. Apple cider vinegar (can be taken daily to help prevent UTIs)
            e. AZO (Not a cure, but can help relieve symptoms and slow down bacteria growth if the UTI is bacterial in nature. Contain the antibacterial methenamine and pain reliever sodium salicylate)
      5) Yeast infection notes: It is usually best to a 7-day treatment rather than a shorter one. Men can get yeast infections, as well. The cycle must be broken, otherwise it can go back and forth between a man and woman repeatedly. Additional stress, poor hygiene conditions, and hormones often create condition that make yeast infection much more likely.
      6) Yeast infection products:
           a. Miconazole
           b. Fluconazole pills (Fish Flucon, same as Diflucan) (Best taken at night)
           c. Acidophilus pills (for women before taking antibiotics that could cause yeast infections)
      7) STD notes:
           a. Some STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) can be treated with antibiotics. Of the listed antibiotics many are available for purchase listed as for use in aquariums for fish.
      8) STD products:
           a. Chlamydia: Azithromycin, erythromycin, doxycycline
           b. Gonorrhea: Ceftriazone, cefivime, ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin
           c. Syphillis: Penicillin (first choice) but if a person is allergic or it is not available then doxycycline, tetracycline
           d. Trichomoniasis: Women usually show symptoms first but the partner(s) should also start treatment. Metronidazole (Flagyl) Not in the first trimester of pregnancy. Use a cream or suppository during that time.
           e. Inflamed Pelvis Disease: ofloxacin, metronidazole, ceftriaxone, doxycycline, moxifloxacin. Usually used two together.
           f. STD primary choices for treatment: Penicillin, ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, and metronidazole, which are all useful for many other conditions. Always remember to check for allergies to antibiotics.
      9) Advil/ Midol/ Pamprin/ Ibuprofen/ acetaminophen
    10) Separate bucket/chemical toilet if not using conventional toilets (To avoid having to use the usually much messier men’s facilities.)
    11) 4x the toilet paper allotment used for general planning
    12) Privacy means (curtains/ enclosures/ screens/ etc.)/ personal space/ personal closet or dresser
    13) Sweats/loose clothing, large robes, large towels, various sizes plain underwear, sports bras
    14) Pregnancy prevention supplies:
           a. Condoms (remember that these have a finite shelf life)
           b. Basal body temperature tracking is probably one of the best methods of tracking fertility times to help prevent pregnancy (or to get pregnant) (No method is totally accurate or foolproof or infallible):
                   i.   Basal body temperature tracking supplies:
                  ii.   Basal body temperature thermometers
                 iii.   Basal body temperature charts
                 iv.   Basal body temperature tracking smartphone app/software program
    15) Pregnancy test kits
    16) Baby care supplies
    17) Expedient shower methods: sun shower bags/ MSR bag shower/ garden pressure sprayer/ camper’s propane shower
    18) Body care products: razors/ deodorant/ hand lotion/ face lotion/ body lotion
    19) Facial products: baby wipes (no fragrance/ hypo-allergenic/ for sensitive skin)/ Pre-moistened facial cleansers/ hand mirror or stand mirror
    20) Hair care products: non-lathering soap/ shampoo/ dry shampoo/ baby powder/ bentonite clay/ brushes/ combs/ tie backs/ bandannas/ baseball caps, etc.
    21) Lip care products: Chapstick, Lip balm, etc.
    22) Nail care products: nail files/ emery boards/ etc.
    23) Multiple hot water bottles
    24) Any medical necessities for allergies, prescriptions, etc.
    25) Comfort items: Additional coffee/ chocolate in several forms/ salty snacks/ soothing teas (chamomile, lavender, peppermint, etc.)
    26) Anti-boredom materials: knitting/ crochet/ sewing/ novels/ movies/ story teller/ sketching tools/ hobby items, etc.
    27) Strong reading lights and a variety of strengths of reading glasses
    28) Everything set up for easy cleaning/ rubber gloves/ aprons/long handled tools, etc.

Just my opinion.

My thoughts on outhouses:
I used an outhouse until I was 14. Lots of experience with them.

There are many good outhouse-building ideas on the internet. They will give the basics. However, here are a few thoughts that I have had over the years of using them in my earliest years, to using various types when camping and at campgrounds.

First, all of my hands-on experience is with pit-type outhouses, so pretty much everything here will pertain to those, though many of the ideas are applicable to other types.

So, you have decided to build an outhouse. Before you start, you need to make a few decisions that will affect several aspects of the project. Decide where you will want the outhouse. It must be downstream of any water supplies. It is much better if it is also downwind (of the prevailing winds) of the house/home. If it will be for long-term use, the area should be large enough to accommodate several pits, so the outhouse does not have to be moved very far. Or, if the outhouse will not be moved, but the waste will, you do not want to haul it very far unless you can use it in your fertilization plan. Human waste does take special handling.

If it will be moved, decide on the type of skids you want to use. Treated wood; painted metal channel iron, H-beams, or I-beams; or three-inch diameter or larger steel pipes. The wooden skids will usually have an angle cut at the ends so they will slide easily. The channel iron, H-beams, and I-beams are usually cut on an angle in such a way to allow the bottom flat piece to be bent up and welded into place to form the same type of end as the cut wood. Pipe is quite often heated enough to soften it a short distance from the ends and then simply bent upwards to form a rail similar to a sled runner.

Both the beam and channels will usually have a crosspiece at each end with some type of plate welded on to form a spot where a towing bridle can be looped to make it easy to tow. Wooden skids will sometimes have something similar, made of wood or metal, or have eye-hooks or J-hooks attached for the same purpose. As long as some method to easily and quickly attach and detach a tow bridle is made, then there should be no problems when it comes time to move the outhouse.

In place of a tow bridle, small outhouses can have a fold-up tow bar permanently or semi-permanently attached to the skids for movement. The tow bar design must take into account the likely unit that will be doing the towing. A tow bar for a mule team is going to be quite different from one for tow by a pickup truck, a small tractor, or even a large riding lawnmower.

It is usually better to have the skids running from side to side, rather than from the front to the back of the outhouse. And design them so it will be easy to build the platform of the outhouse on the skids, and to solidly enclose the area from the platform all the way down to the ground. This underpinning should be easily removed for when the outhouse will be moved.

Once you know where, decide on the size. You will need to know that to build the skids. One-seater, two-seater, three-seater. All have been used over the years. If there are only adults, and not likely to be any children around, a single-seater is probably adequate. Multi-seat outhouses were common at times, but modern society does not lend itself to them. However, if there are small children in the household, it may be prudent to have a second seat so a child does not have to wait for any length of time.Or if the family is fairly large with several same-sex children, especially teen girls, then a second seat can be justified. They will usually share a facility where individuals will not.

Now, if a child might simply need to have someone with them, or perhaps a bit of assistance still, having a chair, stool, or fold-down seat for a second person can be a big help. If the family is large, there are unrelated people, or a large group, a second outhouse, or even a third may be justified. I do know the female members of my family always lamented having to use the same outhouse as the male members of the family. With all the other stresses that there probably will be, separate facilities could be justified.

Another good reason to have separate facilities is when a separate urine collection system is incorporated. And it really should be. Outhouse pits work better with just solid waste and as little liquid as possible. The urine collection container can be as simple as a bucket or other container with a tight lid and a hose going into it with a large funnel. This is difficult for women to use unless they use one of the stand-up urine diverters that are available. An alternative is to have a second seat over a funnel-like collector that drains to a container outside the outhouse. This would be much easier for youngsters and women to use. This is a good reason to have separate facilities for men and women. And the urine has some very useful properties that can be taken advantage of if it is separated.

Once the decisions on size are made, it is time to dig the pit. Do not skimp on the pit. And, if you have the labor to dig one, try to go ahead and dig one or two more. Cover the hole for safety, and keep the extra earth handy, covered with plastic or a tarp, to fill in the old one. Be very careful with the initial design of both the outhouse and the pit. Do not build a huge pit to avoid digging another pit sooner, with the outhouse built just large enough to completely cover it to save money and resources. There should always be plenty of solid ground around the pit for the outhouse skids to rest on. If they just barely clear the pit, even if in just one direction, there could very likely be some problems in the future that you really do not want. Not even as extreme as the outhouse partially falling into the pit. If dirt sloughs off into the pit because it becomes saturated, and the pit becomes exposed outside the confines of the base of the outhouse, not only will it just get worse due to rain, but odors will be released at ground level, and access to the pit will be available for any and all pests, pets, children, and inquisitive other things drawn by the odors, even if you do not smell them yourself. Yes, you do want a large enough pit so you are not needing to move the outhouse every few months, but you do want the outhouse base to be plenty large enough to safely sit over the pit so it can protect the edges and sides to prevent access.

Do not wait too long before the outhouse is moved. You do not want the waste closer than a foot to the surface of the ground when refilled, and two feet is much better.

Now, if you do have a couple of pits pre-dug, as was suggested earlier, be very sure that they will be stable during the time between being dug and being put into use. Dirt holes can erode. The ground can slough off and partially fill a hole, and the most difficult situation to deal with is if the hole loses any significant dimensional stability. It will not be a good thing if you slide the outhouse over the new pit and it falls in because the pit is several inches larger in one or more dimensions than it was when dug.You can line the pits, if you have the material. It seems a waste to me to use concrete or concrete block. Even good lumber. However, if you have some material that you can sacrifice, you can line the walls of the pit (not the bottom), in a lattice manner. You want the liquids to be able to migrate out the sides of the pit as well as the bottom, but some lining will help reduce the chances of the pit sloughing off.

Okay. The pit is ready, you know the design of the outhouse, and, hopefully, you have the materials to build the outhouse. Since this is a skid-mounted one, you do not want it too heavy, so unless you are in the far north, or the far south where there are temperature extremes, standard 2” x 4” stud walls on a floor made of treated wood should suffice. Here is where I will stray from some of the old norms. I believe it is worthwhile to insulate the outhouse with foam board. Including the walls, roof, floor, and door. This is as much for wind resistance as conserving heat, but that does help. Outhouses can get very cold in the wintertime, especially if the wind is blowing. Not only can you get a bit chilled going to the outhouse from the house, but the outhouse will also probably be ambient temperature. Being chilled is not conducive to regularity. I highly recommend a tent-safe heater such as one of the Buddy Heaters. Especially one that will allow the use of an external propane tank. And one that is very easy to start with a piezo igniter. (The insulation is very important if you do add a heater.) You can also add a solar-powered ventilation fan to the outhouse, as well, to help keep it cooler in the summer.

Finish materials on the outside of the outhouse can be pretty much anything that will weather-proof it. It is good if it matches the house, but certainly not required. Same with the roof. Shed roofs tend to be the norm, for simplicity, as well as reduce corners that tend to be havens for various flying and crawling bugs of one type or another. If the building itself is large enough, you do not need to worry about an overhanging roof to keep rain water draining off the roof from entering the pit. However, you definitely want to keep any rain or snowmelt from going under the outhouse and into the pit. So, either have the base large enough to prevent it or use an overhanging roof.

It is also nice to have as part of the platform for the outhouse, a small porch with a ramp and steps to get up out of the wet and mud, and if there is one, having a roof over it to keep the rain off while entering and exiting is good.

One item that I do not feel is optional, is a vent pipe that runs from above the pit to well above the roof of the outhouse. Put a solar-powered exhaust fan on the vent pipe. This will help keep the odors out of the outhouse.

Also, consider a high-quality skylight or a white fiberglass roofing panel to allow light in during the day. Daylight is a good sanitizer and odor eliminator, so it just might help some.

Put an easy-to-use lock on the door, preferably with an in-use indicator. But make sure there is a key available. It is amazing how often someone feels the need to lock themselves in a bathroom for long periods of time.

Make sure you have a good supply of waste cover material inside the outhouse with a scoop or other way to apply it to the fresh waste. Have plenty more of the material handy to the outhouse, as well. You will keep odors down significantly if you do cover each use with an absorbent. There are lots of options.

Some options for the exterior of the outhouse include:
1) A solar-powered (with battery backup) roof turbine for ventilation of the outhouse itself, in addition to the pit vent pipe. You might want to connect the pit vent exhaust fan to the battery backup, especially for warmer climates. Neither system needs to be all that extensive.

For the outhouse vent fan to work properly, getting the hot and/or less than sweet-smelling air (should not be too bad if things are built and maintained properly) out of the outhouse, there must be air intakes as well as the exhaust. These air intake vents must be placed where they cannot be blocked by the build-up of debris, snow, floodwater, and such. And just like the pit vents, the outhouse vents must be well screened, in addition to the standard slanted rain protection slats.

Now, while the pit vents do not necessarily need to be adjustable, the outhouse vents should be. The exhaust should have a damper on it so it can be shut off. The intakes (and there should be at least two), would be much more useful if they can be adjusted from fully open, to fully closed.

Part of the reason is simply to help control the temperature in the outhouse in all seasons, from high heat in the summer to freezing temperatures in the winter, much more easily.

2) One item I would dearly have loved when I was a child, was solar charged automatic lights outside of the house and the outhouse so you can see the outhouse as you approach just in case of animals or other hazards, without needing to fumble with a flashlight on dark days and at night.The materials used on the inside of the outhouse must be easy to clean. And keep at least some cleaners there, in a locked cabinet if there are children around. It is even more likely for people to not make it quite in time to the outhouse than at a regular bathroom since they tend to put off going until it is critical. If they do make a mess, having the things to clean it up with right there makes it easier, more likely to be done, and rather less embarrassing. In the same vein, it might not be a bad idea to keep a pair or two of different size coveralls so a person has something to put on if they do have a bad accident. A few sets of old sweats would work, too.

It is good to have a couple of shelves to hold a few things, too. Toilet paper being one of them, of course. In a rodent and bug-proof container. Some sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer, as well.

Some niceties:
1) A solar-charged interior LED light, with battery back-up. An automatic sensor activated one, or one with a remote chained to the wall that can be reached from the door.
2) Even if you keep extra toilet paper in the outhouse, in a rodent and bug proof container, keep an extra roll of emergency use only toilet paper in a closed metal container. Make sure everyone understands that if it is ever used, a new roll is to be put in as soon as the person gets back to the house. Not later. Not when it warms up. Not when the next person goes. Does not matter if there is still 99% of the roll left. The emergency roll goes on the dispenser and a new roll goes into the container.
3) The same thing goes for feminine hygiene items, whether or not there is anyone in the home that needs them. You will eventually have a woman that is going to need them, and unless she is familiar with the rural outdoor plumbing lifestyle, will not have what she needs.

Remember, there is nothing wrong with prettying up both the inside and outside of an outhouse.

When it comes time to move the outhouse, prepare the next pit, and then move the outhouse. When the used pit is refilled, cover it with something solid that will keep a person from sinking into it. If you step on a recently filled outhouse hole you will sink, unless there is something over it. And mark it well, because even with a solid cover, I still do not want to step on it.

One last thing. In the summertime, you can keep sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer on a shelf in the outhouse. In the wintertime, they get very cold out there. Best to have them, along with a flashlight or headlight (even if you have automatic lights), and an extra roll of toilet paper by the house door you use to get to the outhouse. Despite best efforts, if you do not take paper with you every time, you will wind up without any when you need it at some point. And that will probably be the same time when the snow has covered the solar panels and the light mounted on the house, the one on the outside of the outhouse, and the one on the inside of the outhouse, and the batteries have run down, and it is pitch black outside.

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 04:38:11 PM by Jerry D Young »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Re: Some of my thoughts on women's special needs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 07:11:50 PM »
When Dad was young, his Dad was put on the NW corner of the Powell ranch to 24x7x365 get up, crank up a BIG Lister engine that drove a pump to pump water about 25 mi over land to where the oil company he worked for was drilling.  MagPegasus Oil. Renamed later to Mobile oil.

Mr Powell’s son RL was Dads boyhood friend.  For several years Dad Cowboyed with RL for Mr. Powell.

Fast forward to the summer between my 6th and 7th grade. RL was caught short and Dad Volunteered me to work. So I wound up Cowboying on the same ranch Dad did.

One day RL called all the hands together, most were illegals.  He introduced the new ranch cook, an older Hispanic lady. 

He said:
Ella es la Mamam de la cochina ( Loosely She’s the boss off the kitchen)
Si Mama no allegre porque usted, YO no allegre ( if one of you make her unhappy, I’ll be unhappy )
Si YO no allegre, todos no allegre. ( If I’m not happy, Ebber boty will not be happ)

He then went to each of us and said “Comprende?) and made all of us say “Yo comprendo)

If that WestTexas hard core Redneck rancher could understand the importance of keeping the ladies happy then it really shouldn’t be hard for the rest of us to understand. 

Having served as a Medic and worked with females (nurses) in less than ideal conditions I saw and learned first hand just how important everything Jerry wrote above is.

I guarandamntee if Mama ain’t happy no one will be.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Re: Some of my thoughts on women's special needs
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
Wow, thanks for all this great info!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions