Home Page

New guy

New guy
« on: August 13, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »
I just wanted to say hi to the group.

About myself:
Born, raised and lived all of my life in Southern California. 
Recently retired law enforcement (30 years).
Recently moved to Carson Valley area.
Ham Tech since 1990 or so; N6XSK.
Married with 4 offspring.  I still have my youngest boy, age 15, under my care.
Hobbies:  Hiking, aviation/flight simulations, air cooled VW.
Politics:  Libertarian, pro-constitution, small government, center right, critical thinker.  While my core beliefs have not changed much in my life, I am open minded to other points of view and I find it healthy to avoid "echo chambers".

I used to be fairly well prepared in the foothills of SoCal:  1 Acre of flat land, private well, water tank, multiple generators, propane, 2 wood burning stoves.  I thought I was going to be there for the rest of my life (see the next paragraph).  We have evacuated 2 times for wildfires and have experienced numerous power outages.  Some outages lasted 3 to 5 days due to high winds / fire danger.

Not wanting to dive right into politics, but IMHO California has been mismanaged into the ground!  I watched it slowly decline my entire life.  In the last 10 years or so, it seemed like someone stepped on the gas pedal started driving the state off of a cliff.  My wife and felt it was time to leave.  She has family in the Carson area so I retired a year early and moved.

Since I drug my wife around the backcountry during my career, I let her pick the 'new' house ;)  I really wanted a similar setup to what I had.  However, now I am in a strict HOA and I need to make it work.  I was able to bring one portable generator, but I still need to have a transfer switch installed on my electrical panel.  I also need a covert HOA friendly 2m / 70cm antenna for the house.  Regarding prepping; I am almost starting again from scratch which is actually a good exercise.  I am not in a huge hurry.

If anyone is interested in a meetup, I hike almost every day.  Usually in the Sierra mountains next to Genoa.  I have some backpacking experience, but no longer have proper backpacking gear.  I may get back into it someday.

I am trying to monitor 147.330 and 147.240 repeaters.  I can't seem to receive the others further north.

Jason
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 01:08:58 PM by jato0072 »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 02:29:25 PM »
Hi Jason and welcome !
We used to have regular meetings but it got to where almost nobody other than our 'core' group of 6 people showed up.
So we stopped doing that.
We do have "Prepper Field Day" every year on the same weekend as ARRL Field Day but we add two days on the front, Thursday and Friday.
Last June we were close to you at the Davis Creek Campground.
Next year we will be at Ft Churchill State Park. It is not far from you.
Do you have an email address I can use to add you to our weekly email for our Preppers Net?
My email address is k7kbj@arrl.net
Your political and life views mesh very well with the majority of our members although that wouldn't matter much. You would still be welcome anyway.
Now we need to get you on the air with the SNARS Linked system.
I helped one of our members who is also in an HOA neighborhood. When we reviewed their rules it stated an outdoor antenna for "receiving broadcast radio and TV" was allowed. This is much like the TV antennas from days past. A good 2M FM antenna on your roof can be said to be an antenna used to receive FM radio such as one would think of for listening to music. If you got a complaint it would probably be good enough to say that if the same or similar words are in your rules. Look it up and tell me what is in there.

Ken
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 04:12:52 PM »

It looks like I can transmit during emergencies only.   ;D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline beorn

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 05:35:42 PM »
Welcome.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 08:03:41 PM »
You can fight those restrictions legally, if you choose. It is expensive to do so, but there is legal precedent, I believe. I do know that any restrictions about (reasonable) flying the flag have been fought and tenets won.

Jerry

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)