Home Page

Do any of you know a knife maker?

Do any of you know a knife maker?
« on: August 05, 2021, 08:07:27 AM »
I am looking to have made an Homage to Kephart knife.  Not a Kephart knife but a slightly larger on based on Kephart design.
OAL - 10 1/2 to 11"Blade length - 6 1/2"Blade thickness - 5/32 to 3/16"Blade width - 1 1/8"
I have used/owned Kephart based knives and have always found them just a bit small for my taste. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Do any of you know a knife maker?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 01:37:08 PM »
I knew an excellent knife maker in San Antonio in the mid- to late- 80s. A friend took me to his place and wound up purchasing a knife in which I expressed an interest and gave the knife to me. I believe the man's name was J Stone. I will have to dig the knife out of my gear to double-check. Probably a moot point though, as I have not been able to find any sign of him in several years. Nor that of my friend that lived outside of Lytle TX. (Just an FYI. My friend's place is the basis of a location I used in one of my stories.)

I dig out the knife and let you know for sure. You might have more luck finding him, if he is still around and making knives. He sure had a nice collection to pick from when I was there way back when.

Other than him, I am afraid I cannot help.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline beorn

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 11:27:25 AM »
If you don't find anybody else I could possibly produce a blank or partially finished knife from some forge welded folded steel like damascus.This would be just for me to practice skills trade me if its worth anything I would not be able to get to it until September and I would want a good drawing of the shape and size you want. I'm not very artistic and i don't mess with decorative but i think I can make you a good piece of steel in the shape you want from scrap steels like saw blades.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 04:36:43 PM »
I know this is a LONG shot, but have your or anyone heard of Society of Creative Anachronism? These people like recreating Midlevel times, but without the sexism, etc. of those times. They dress in period costumes, using kitchen utensils like wooden spoons, bowls, etc. when eating. They also have jousts, with guys using wooden or rattan swords. Thing is, the local chapter would have a tournament up in Tahoe every year, with people selling stuff. One girl I knew (20+ years ago) went to it and came back with a set of bad ass looking dirks....which cost her $25?! The guy actually made knives and REAL swords, so maybe you can find someone like that, that is, if the chapter is still active. Just Google SCA and you can find chapters by each state.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline David-Audrey

• ...Because change is inevitable!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 12:52:51 PM »
Just posted information about knife steele...In the attachments, they identify knife makers.  Hope it helps you!

David
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »
I just noticed this thread. As a matter of fact, I do.

There is a custom bladesmith in Des Moines we see often and will likely see this coming week-end. Does nice work. He does from small to rather large, art designs to serious stuff. If you want I can give him a shout this week-end, cuz I can't seem to find his card. Drop me a line in case I din't see this in time.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions