Home Page

Dog attack defense

Offline beorn

Dog attack defense
« on: March 21, 2021, 05:58:22 PM »
My wife was recently attacked actually it was my dogs that were mostly attacked but my wife was traumatised and had to try and fight of a 90 pound dog with the end of a leash. She wont carry a gun and forgets to carry the pepperspray but she may carry a stick for dogs in the neighborhood. Ive seen these but I don't know what they are called basically they are a extendable baton? Any good brands?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Dog attack defense
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 12:52:39 AM »

ASP (Armament Systems & Procedures) friction batonshttps://www.asp-usa.com/collections/batons
I've trained on them, carried them, and twice had to use them.
The fiction batons open when drawn in swinging motion.  You can open to the sky ending up with the open baton at arms length above your head.  You can open to the ground wit the open baton at arms length downward and pointed to the side rear behind you.  Both open positions leave the baton ready to strike with.  The ground is a bit more covert as the sky one ends up with a very visible baton ready to strike down.  Twice folks calmed down considerably when we all of a sudden had clubs in our hands obviously ready for use.  I don't think four legged critters will be intimidated by the visual force.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 04:32:18 PM »
When I was working security in the oil patch in Oklahoma and Texas many years ago, one of the places I was assigned for the longest had a fellow that raised wanna-be fighting pitbulls. Actually, his son did. The guy that owned the property (it was between two yards I was responsible for) was not too enthused. Anyway, between three pitbulls that were normally in an agitated state and had a real knack for getting out, and a huge Rottweiler that was owned by someone down closer to the river than where I was, around a short curve, that ran free most of the time, I had to have something with which to protect myself. Technically, I was not an armed guard. I was a watchman. Push come to shove, I would not have let one of the dogs hurt me, but I needed something to dissuade them.

Now, I carried a machete on the mountain bike I used when checking the second yard, ostensibly to keep grass and brush trimmed back from some of the equipment. And for rattlesnakes, of which there were many. That was just a bit more than I wanted to use on a dog in that situation. Though I could use the back or the flat of the blade instead of the edge, that would have been very iffy in a heated situation.

So, I carried what I used to use when I was out and about in Southeast Missouri on the river, ditches, and swamps for snake and other animal protection. It was a frog gig on a 3' or 4' dowelrod. Usually a four-prong version. A cheap one I could ditch if I needed to. Plus, when I was doing the security work, the four-prong version would ride with the area between the two inner prongs down over the front axle of the mountain bike. I could pull it up and have it at hand easily. And it was much less disrupting to my riding the bike than the machete. I would have to swing the machete to be effective, but the poking worked well with the frog gig. Once one of the dogs got touched with those tines, which I kept sharp, they were very much more cautious about getting close to me when I had it in my hand.

It was a good deterrent, but would also do a lot of damage if wielded with intent. Now, I do not know if your wife would want something like that, though, with a bit of skill, which I know you have, it could easily be turned into a walking stick with a quickly removable cover on the tines.

Just my opinion.

Note: They are also great for keeping everything that wants out of flood waters as much as you do from running you off your own safe place. Normally animals are not too aggressive when all are trying to avoid flood or fire, but if it is you or them on that high spot, they sure will try to make it them. Oppossom, raccoon, all manner of snakes, feral dogs and cats, and lots of other critters will want to be on that spot, and unless you are prepared to kill them, or stay awake constantly driving them off with a regular stick or such, the gig will usually drive them off and they will not attempt more than a couple of times to join you.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline beorn

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 03:13:41 PM »
There may be a legal problem with baton carry in Nevada.

http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/state-baton-laws
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 09:47:00 PM »
Having been in several canine contacts, I would recommend in no particular order:  Pepper spray, firearm, melee weapon.  I have used all of those methods with success.  I can tell you from my experience tasers and stun guns DO NOT WORK.  As others have pointed out, please check your local laws.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions