Home Page

Current threat level

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Current threat level
« on: April 28, 2015, 06:51:36 AM »
Those who, like I, are watching the news reports, see a trend toward more violent protests inside the U.S.

My opinion is that we are going to have a "hot" summer and we are well advised to keep our preps up-to-date and be ready to make quick choices to protect yourselves and your families.

On a scale of one to ten, I put the current threat level below five, but not by much...

I base this on social conditions alone.  If other conditions change (weather, earthquake, forest fires etc) they may well cause stress on social groups in large cities.  So keep your eyes open please.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline David-Audrey

• ...Because change is inevitable!
Re: Current threat level
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:14:38 PM »
Social Unrest, Earthquake, Solar flare, financial meltdown, Pandemic, and so many more.   I want, no; I need to be able to actually put a real 1 to 10 assessment on each possible threat in an objective manner.

An individual I highly respect has more than 180 things he considers a threat.  Another individual whom I respect, recently told me to "go to the science."  I've decided to take both of those statements and reconcile them to the best of my ability.  I've said before and believe strongly that prepping is very personal.  There is no right and no wrong way to go about it.  Rather what makes you feel confident that you have you and "yours" protected is what you should do.  So, with that in mind, I have begun my Don Quixote impossible mission.  To objectively measure various threats. 

As a lifelong marketing professional, I'm trying to eliminate the hysteria and hype that is increasingly present in ads, articles, internet and news. 

The attachments are my humble beginning.  In some cases, some things are quantified, in others not so.  Again, I'm just getting started.

Please note that I've not even started to look at a possible threat from a financial collapse.  This area would take a great deal of time and study to do it justice. Suffice it to say at this point in time, the possibility of of a real problem represents the potential to be a real threat.  The degree and likelihood of such an event is yet to be determined.

Your comments and additions on those areas I've started would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:06:28 PM by David-Audrey »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »
Everyday, garden-variety stochastic analysis of risk has proven, in my experience, to have very little to no utility in dealing with catastrophic risks on an individual basis.  For example, if you are an insurance company and you are insuring thousands of aircraft against a fatal crash, then actuarial (statistical) analyses make sense and the estimates of crash frequencies can be used to set rates for insurance premiums -- the bigger the statistical population (the bigger the risk pool), the more-accurately the premium prices can be set.

But none of that matters if you are one of the passengers on a plane that crashes and kills you.

The problem can be stated mathematically very simply:

If the probability of a catastrophe is extremely small, but the result of the catastrophe is that you die, then you could express the risk to first order as (tiny probability that the catastrophe happens) multiplied by (fatal consequence) or, stated more simply as (tiny number) multiplied by (infinity).  And, therefore the risk is actually infinity.

What can sometimes help in situations like this is the idea that we all have finite life expectancies.  So, it can make sense to set a time limit on the catalog of disasters for which you want to prepare (that is, in which you want to invest).  Some numbers are easy to find, such as the probability of a devastating earthquake.  Let's say that a Magnitude 8 earthquake (which could kill you but probably won't) happens in your area once each 300 years and your remaining life expectancy is 30 years, then you have about a 10% chance that an earthquake will ruin the rest of your life.

By contrast, if you are a student of monetary systems and economics, and you pay a lot of attention to what is happening in the news, you might come to the conclusion that the probability that an economic collapse will occur within your lifetime is nearly certain.  You might or might not survive it. 

So, you are comparing two life-altering, catastrophic events, one of which has a 10% probability of occurrence in your lifetime, and the other is nearly 100%.  If you have limited funds for prepping and investment, putting most of it against the catastrophic economic collapse scenario would seem to be much more prudent than waiting for the excitement and entertainment of rocking and rolling in a Magnitude 8 earthquake.

Too bad there isn't an affordable one-prepper-plan-fits-all-threats program.  If there were, you wouldn't have to worry about probabilities at all.  If you were wealthy enough to plan for the worst-reasonable-case, then there would be nothing to worry about.  Probabilities only become important when resources are limited.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:58:55 PM »
Another thing that might help in your analysis is to consider two things that mitigate disasters:  Mean time to get help (largely related to the size of the devastated area) and human adaptability.

In the case of a huge earthquake, help (including the restoration of electrical power in our area) is probably only a handful of days away.  You can easily prepare for and survive that kind of thing.  I lived 17 miles from the Loma Prieta 'quake in 1989 and we had some structural damage and no electrical power or water for just two days.  The point is, earthquakes are relatively localized.

In the case of an EMP event, help is nowhere close in terms of distance, but is probably closer in time that most people think.  Many folks worry that some large transformers have 18 month lead times.  But those are in normal times.  In normal times prior to the outbreak of WW II, it took 14 months to build an airplane.  That dropped to something like 6-7 days during the war.  The time to build one of those giant high-voltage transformers could probably be greatly compressed.  It would be worth investigating this further.

I don't have a lot of data on food shortages.  They seem to be occurring all around us right now:  Millions of chickens slaughtered to stop the spread of bird influenza, hundreds of thousands of cattle starved or frozen to death in South America and so forth.  Although prices have skyrocketed, they are not yet so high that people are starving, and there are calorie substitutes for the things in short supply.  Again, human adaptability can greatly mitigate the impacts of a food disaster.

A collapse of the monetary system would have devastating impact, cover the entire earth at the same time, no help would be on the way, and the recovery would take decades.  I give a lot of attention to that particular threat.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
Social Unrest, Earthquake, Solar flare, financial meltdown, Pandemic, and so many more.   I want, no; I need to be able to actually put a real 1 to 10 assessment on each possible threat in an objective manner.

My feeling (opinion as a person with scientific background) is that trying to really quantify this "threat level" is next to impossible.   The factors are both too numerous and too nebulous in nature (subject to individual interpretation) to make a true numeric measurement.  I distrust anyone who tells me they can really measure something which is purely social in nature.  ("The world will absolutely end tomorrow", etc.)

Monetary collapse comes closet to being predictable.  I regard it as certainty.  What I don't have is the exact time-table of when our money will fail...  In my lifetime is a safe bet, but I'm not putting any money on it (bad pun)....

So, the best we can do is form an opinion based on what we read and hear (media is very biased, so take it with a large "grain  of salt". 

Personally, I try to get a "feel" for how frequently events are reported and how widely spread the story(s) become.
If they become more frequent and "everybody" is taking action, I raise my worry level.

I also look at my memory of past events over my lifetime and how they match what is happening now.  It is Very subjective and I cannot tell you how to do it yourself.

At some point, a trigger level will be reached and I will act to protect myself.  I'm not there yet but I feel "it" is closer now than at any time in my life.

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - Winston Churchill

Ignore this if it makes you uncomfortable, or pay attention and realize that that discomfort may be your subconscious talking to you.  I think I'll have another beer...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »
USC has recently updated the threat level for the Californian main fault systems.  Although it doesn't apply to Nevada, I thought it would be of interest to the group to see how these threat models are constructed.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline David-Audrey

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »
I don't disagree with any of the comments...especially the fact that this is an impossible task.  That said, I believe that in attempting to do so, I learn.  Thus, I will be able to get a better feel for those things that may happen as well as how to better identify when they are upon us.  Further, I believe I will be better equipped to deal with it since I will be better educated about the event/problem than I am now.

It has always been in my nature to study, learn and understand regardless of the topic.  And I am learning as I pursue this project. Case in point.  In the earthquake document, I learned a great deal about local faults and their potential for impacting us.

Anyway, I'm not on crusade, I just want to better understand the things that may result in the need to use prepping supplies and training.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 07:26:44 AM »
I don't disagree with any of the comments...especially the fact that this is an impossible task.

Not impossible. just very complicated in terms of getting an actual numeric measurement.

If you have a method that is working for you, please feel free to express it here.  Rather than attempt to "shoot it down" we can perhaps refine it to be a better measure of were we are now.  I would welcome the chance to do that.

As Redrocker says (my interpretation), you can build a model for anything, then try to change it until it fits reality.

What factors are you going to track in the model?:

Monetary Policy
Earthquakes
Floods
Storm/hurricane/tornados
Civil Unrest
War(s)
other...

What weight do you give each.  How likely are they to happen?

( let not this exercise distract you from keeping watch on the chickens"...)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:28:34 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 08:46:40 AM »
TWP asks:  "What weight to give to each?"  Surprisingly, it might be easier to answer that question that to try to assign probabilities of occurrence.  I say "easier" because there is a well-used technique, developed by Saaty and Saaty in the 1970s (I think) which is particularly suited to divining RELATIVE importance factors between several choices.  And, it's relative importance that would seem to be relevant here.  In this instance, "choice" means choice of threat to mitigate, and so "choice" = "threat."  Humans are particularly good at choosing between one of two things, and much worse at choosing between a large number of alternatives.  This is the problem that was tackled by Saaty and Saaty.

The method is very simple, but it helps greatly if you use a spreadsheet.

Create a square matrix (equal number of rows and columns).  Label each row with the threat (Monetary Policy, Earthquake, Flood, Storm, Civil Unrest, War) from top to bottom.  Label each column from left to right with the same threats, and in the same order.

Put a "1" in each diagonal square.

Then, start working on the first row; the one labeled "Monetary Policy."  In the first row, first column, you will have already put a "1."  Next, go to column 2, the one labeled "Earthquake."  Consider which you believe to be the bigger threat, by any way that you want to define "bigger."  Then, how certain are you that your choice is correct?  Score your belief on a scale of 1 to 5 (no zeroes!).  If you think that both threats are of equal importance to you, put a "1" in that square on the grid.  If you think that Monetary Policy is a much 'bigger' threat to you than Earthquake, then put a "5" in the square.  If you think, by contrast, that Earthquake is a much bigger threat to you than Monetary Policy, put 1/5 into the grid square.  Use numbers between 2 and 5 to set intermediate levels of confidence.  For example, "2" means "with a whole lot of work, I could probably prove to myself that one choice is better than the other," "3" means "I wouldn't have much work to do to prove that my choice is correct, but some people would probably argue that I got it wrong, and they would probably have a rationale for their beliefs," "4" means "I can easily substantiate that my choice is correct, but there is still some doubt that others could come up with a contradiction," and "5" means "my choice is axiomatic or nearly so."

Work your way across the matrix in the same fashion, giving scores to each grid square.  Remember, if the threat in the row is more important than the one in the column, use a score of 1 to 5.  If the threat in the column is more important than the one in the row, then use a score of 1 to 1/5 (i.e., 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 or 1/5).

Now, go to the second row.  But, don't start at column 1.  Rather, start at the first column after the grid square with the "1" in it (the diagonal); that is, row 3.  Then, continue to the end of the row as before. 

Work your way down and complete the last row.  When you are done, in addition to the "1" put into the diagonal, you will have filled out all the grid squares on the upper left half of the matrix.  For example, if you had a total of six threats, you would have put six "1s" in the diagonal grid squares plus you would have filled out all the other 15 grid squares to the right of the diagonal.

Here is where it gets tricky in that you need to fill out the remaining blank grid squares with the reciprocals of what you put into the grid squares across the diagonal.

The reciprocal is simply =1/x, where "x" = the value in the reciprocal grid square.

What is the reciprocal grid square?  It's the grid square that has the row and column indices swapped or inverted from the grid square you are currently filling in.  For example, if you are working on filling in grid square row 3, column 2, then x is the value you will find by looking in grid square row 2, column 3 -- which will be a value you filled in earlier.  Let's say grid square row 2, column 3 contains "3," then in the blank grid square at row 3, column 2 you would enter "=1/3"

Fill out the remaining 15 blank grid squares in this way.

The hard work is almost done!

In each row, compute the geometric sum:
For each row in the matrix, multiply all the numbers together and take the nth root of the result, where n= number of columns in the matrix.

The result is the relative weight of each choice, denoted by the label on each row.

You can see the result more easily if you normalize by dividing each resulting row value by the sum of all row values, so that the total will add to 1.00, but that's just a niceity.

The attachment has a worked example (in .pdf).  I added "EMP" to the list of threats, which makes a 7x7 matrix.

The Saaty & Saaty method was developed to match, as simply as possible, the way human psychology seems to work.  The trick is forcing the evaluator to consider only pairwise choices at any one time.  Another breakthrough is the recognition that animal brains tend to accumulate evidence as geometric, rather than linear, sums and work in relative space (logarithmic space), not cartesian space.

If you want more background, I think the original paper is readily available from the IEEE.

The Saaty & Saaty method has been used for technology development risk management for two generations.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »
Redrocker,  You've made my point on the complexity.  If there is interest from the group, we can continue to develop the threat matrix and flesh it out with input from members.

For those reading this, please chime in with your interest and whether this is worth pursuing in more detail.  I am willing to give my input, but this kind of thing works best with lots of participation...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline David-Audrey

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »
When I first replied, I said I believed it to be an impossible task.  That said developing any type of threat matrix would be of great interest to me.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Current threat level/ Threat Matrix Development
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
I believe that the purpose of developing a threat matrix is to prepare to meet that set of threats with some sort of pre-planned response or investment program.  That means the response to the threats will be highly individualized.  Equally individualized are going to be the risk or importance levels that people place on various threat scenarios, so it is difficult to see how any group effort in the development of a threat matrix could ever go beyond just defining the threats.

For example, it would cost around $30,000 to build a solar/ battery system sufficient to run my well pump and provide some minimal ability to run other household appliances (refrigerators and at least two out of four forced-air furnace fans).  And, one threat I need to consider is rangeland fire.  A major earthquake is not of very big concern to me at all, since the house isn't likely to sustain any significant damage and outside help isn't going to be that far away in either time or distance after a major earthquake.    Becoming snowed in for a week is a significant problem where I live.

If, however, I lived in downtown Reno in a high-rise building, my threat matrix would be almost inverted from the above.

I quickly put together an example of my threat matrix (in LibreOffice, by the way -- Microsoft Office is not secure) and have attached it.

My matrix indicates that I should invest to mitigate a nuclear EMP threat and economic collapse.  Other potential investments are either far less important to my case or I have already made a sufficient investment to mitigate the threats, and so they are no longer important to me, even if they once were very important.

The attached workbook contains two spreadsheets:  The importance matrix, and the definitions of the various threats.  Although this is just a sample, it is fairly accurate in my case.

A caution:  A matrix larger than about 12 x 12 will start to give meaningless results. 

It is possible to compute a consistency metric for your threat matrices, but I have left that out of the discussion for now.  The consistency matrix would highlight inconsistencies of thinking.  For example, if earthquakes are more important than being snowed and earthquakes are less important than civil war, then being snowed in should be much less important than civil war -- if that is not how you filled in the scores in your matrix, then the consistency matrix will flag it for you.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 07:05:58 AM »
Here is a threat Matrix one of my friends came up with based on one he had seen on line.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
Jerry,  that matrix has a very important (critical) math error.

The last column, Priority Prep Score, is computed, for the EarthQuake row as an example,  as "=sum(H8:S8)"  This means that all the values in columns H through S, inclusive, for row 8 will be added together.  Consequently, the "Effect Score" is added twice.

The correct expression for the last column should have been "=H8+S8"

Although it does not result in a math error, the use of the function "sum" is wrongly applied in the H and S columns.  The correct expression for row 8, for example, for summing all the column values between I and R is just "=sum(I8:R8)" and not "=sum(I8+J8+K8+L8+M8+N8+O8+P8+Q8+R8)"

Finally, we are still talking about human psychology here, so the geometric sums would probably give a more-intuitive and easier-to-believe result.  The geometric sum of, say, five numbers is (a*b*c*d*e)^(1/5) whereas the cartesian sum is (a+b+c+d+e)

As was pointed out by others, all this scoring is and should be subjective.  There is no objective mathematical treatment that can direct your investment program.  (Manipulating a bunch of subjective numbers doesn't create an objective result).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
Thanks redrocker. I should have checked the math closer when I got the file. I will talk to the creator and let him know, and then correct it.

Jerry

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:23:43 PM by Jerry D Young »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)